Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A/T Oil temp light on 2nd Gen 1990 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/T Oil temp light on 2nd Gen 1990 4Runner

Looking for advice...

Driving up a mountain on some fairly steep, paved curvy road at slow speeds, my A/T Oil Temp light came on after about 15-20 min of driving. I pulled over, waited a minute or two. The light came back after a minute of driving. Pulled over again, waited 15 min, drove further with no light coming back all the way to the top (another 10 min).. then drove it down and on highway at 60+ mph for 2 hours with no problems or any indications. Before hitting the mountain, I drove it for about 2 hours at mostly highway speeds. I don't think that during the entire day temperature was above 60 F... also, the truck was hardly loaded at all.

It seems that overfilling can cause this, but my tranny does not seem to be overfilled. The fluid appears fine. Anyone know of anything that is specific to 2nd Gen 89-95 4Runners that makes the light come on? Something has to be amiss.. I was not driving up the mountain for very long and the temperatures were very cool. I can only imagine what could have happened in summer temps... Perhaps some of my lines are blocked..

I found couple of threads that mention A/T oil temp, and all indications are that mine shouldn't have come on given the conditions. People that had the light go on, experienced severe grades and high ambient temperatures. Mine went on a lot sooner than can be reasonably expected, provided all is working properly. If this isn't a sensor error, something makes my tranny overheat, and that is not good.

Up to now, I never had the light come on.. but this was about the first time I took it up some fairly long, steep grades and slow speeds. Up to now, I have driven it mostly on freeway. At speeds of above 70 mph, even on extremely hot summer days, the light never appeared.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks !!!

Forerunner

P.S. I had a 5 speed manual on my previous 4Runner... so no auto tranny experience with 4Runners here. But, I never seen a tranny overheat so fast.. and I have driven plenty of automatics (if indeed it overheated.. Please, let it be just a sensor!!)
Old 10-16-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When this happened on my old '91 'runner I added a small b&b tranny cooler and I never got the light again. I also serviced the trans when I added the cooler. Check your air pressure though, that was my main culprit, though I still got the light after I fixed the tire pressure, just not as much.