Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

T-4 fluid question?

Old 01-06-2004, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-4 fluid question?

I'm getting close to 12K on my '03 and have been doing my own servicing so far, but thought I would let dealer do a 15K to satisfy the warranty requirements. I questioned them about the trans service included and they said my unit (4 spd) uses T-4 fluid which is Toyota Synthetic. Not that I don't trust them , but does anyone know for sure if T-4 is Synthetic? I have been using Mobil 1 since 1K, and have been thinking about switching to a synthetic trans fluid when I got to 15K, but was surprised to hear that it already was.

As an 'interesting' side note, while talking to the wrench, he mentioned that some of the new '04s now come with a 'sealed', as he put it, trans. There is no service requirement for them. He
said they can't be drained??? According to him, these units don't even have a dip stick to check the fluid level. He said, if there is a problem, they are supposed to replace the entire unit, not fix it. Anybody heard anything on this?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

That is a really interesting strategy from Toyota. Replace $100 worth of fluid or thousands worth of transmission.

Anyone got the answers to TechWrench's question??
Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: T-4 fluid question?

Originally posted by TechWrench
According to him, these units don't even have a dip stick to check the fluid level. He said, if there is a problem, they are supposed to replace the entire unit, not fix it. Anybody heard anything on this?
Yikes!!!.......I sure hope those darn things are reliable if that is true!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:31 AM

The T4 is pretty expensive. My wifes RAV4 used to use type T but Toyota no longer carries it. At the next change I will have to get the T4. At almost $5/qt it should be synthetic!? I have a quart of it at home. I'll check the label and get back to you. I did ask what would happen if you didn't use the T4 and put it DexronIII instead. They indicated that the transmission wouldn't even shift. I haven't heard anything about the '04 A/T. but I would be surprised if it was sealed

Paul
Old 01-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: T-4 fluid question?

Originally posted by TechWrench

As an 'interesting' side note, while talking to the wrench, he mentioned that some of the new '04s now come with a 'sealed', as he put it, trans. There is no service requirement for them. He
said they can't be drained??? According to him, these units don't even have a dip stick to check the fluid level. He said, if there is a problem, they are supposed to replace the entire unit, not fix it. Anybody heard anything on this?
My BMW has a "sealed" transmission. Some of the fluid can still be drained and refilled but you have to refill though a fill plug at the top of the transmission oil pan. That fill plug is also how you check the fluid level. Not much fun with out a lift.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:10 PM

I looked and it doesn't appear to be synthetic. Says it contains petroleum products. Pretty expensive if you ask me. I don't think there are any substitutes for it, especially if your transmission is under warranty.

Paul
Old 01-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Many new cars have what is called a sealed transmission--ford, vw, bmw, isuzu, just to name a few. But in fact they all have a way of being checked, they have to. Some have a small check plug that the level should be up to.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Marc P
Many new cars have what is called a sealed transmission--ford, vw, bmw, isuzu, just to name a few. But in fact they all have a way of being checked, they have to. Some have a small check plug that the level should be up to.
Well, if that's the 'new' trend in automotive engineering design, I for one think it su*ks. I am from the 'old' school, and don't mind getting a little grease on me once in a while. I like being able to check my fluids on my own without having to put the rig on a lift, or pay the dealer to do it for me. Maybe they are saving $5 or $10 per vehicle by not putting in dip stick tubes, or is it that they just don't trust us to check it on our own. Either way, I am glad I got one with a DIY tube.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

I think it is to put a wrench in the spokes of quick lubes, and general repair shops---its all a conspiracy
Old 01-08-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Marc P
I think it is to put a wrench in the spokes of quick lubes, and general repair shops---its all a conspiracy
Most likely, they will adapt. They have lifts, and will be able to still offer the service, just at a higher cost to reflect their extra effort. It's the little guy who will suffer.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:00 PM

BUMP
Old 01-10-2004, 10:59 PM

It would seem that TechWrench has a Toyota SUV judging from the photo by his name, so what I'm about to say may not apply.

I just bought a 4x2 2004 Tacoma with an automatic transmission.
The owners manual makes no mention whatsoever about where/how to check the automatic transmission fluid level.

Somewhere on the WEB, I saw a photo of a 2.7l Toyota 4x4 with an arrow pointing to where the auto-tranny dipstick was. Looking at it from the front, this stick is on the passenger side under the hood. My 4x2 has the 2.4l engine. I looked and no stick?

Got to looking around some more and found it on the drivers side just below and to the left of the master cyl fluid reservoir.

The end of the stick has a small orange handle.

What was said earlier about checking the fluid from below may apply. In '96(maybe '97), Isuzu removed the tranny dip stick from their Rodeos. The Haynes manual showed how the fluid level had to be checked from underneath with a dealer tool.

Wouldn't surprise me if Toyota went this route for some of their vehicles.

As time goes by, they are making diyer maint. harder to do.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:27 AM

From what I've read in thier "owners" manuals Toyota seems to be very sketchy about most of their change intervals, and in the 2003 taco manual the auto trans fluid refill quantity is wrong. Supposedly Amsoil 's synthetic atf is going to be an alternative to the T4 toyota fluid but I haven't seen it in writing from Amsoil yet .If and when that happens I'll post it. :pat:
Old 01-11-2004, 04:38 AM

My VW has a sealed transmission. There is no dipstick in the engine compartment. To be checked the tranny fluid has to be at a specific temp (read hooked up to a diagnostic machine) and then a bolt and the plug behind it are removed and the fluid is checked just like on an axle. VW doesn't even recommend changing their fluid EVER which is disturbing at the very least.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On my 97 BMW I check the temp range of the ATF with a meat thermometer held against the bottom of the oil pan and covered with a towel to hold the heat in. The engine must be running when removing the fill plug to check the level. If the engine is not running ATF will come pouring out the fill plug. A real pain in the a$$ without a lift.

BMW's idea of "lifetime ATF" is the lifetime of the transmission not the lifetime of the car. And one must keep in mind they want you to buy more cars and parts from them. I've heard of some auto trannys with "lifetime ATF" only last 100K-150K miles. I changed the "lifetime ATF" in my BMW at 80K miles with some fresh Mobil 1 ATF. I also dropped the pans and changed the ATF filter and cleaned the magnets and pans.