Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swaying with every crevice in the road.. Multiple conclusions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swaying with every crevice in the road.. Multiple conclusions

So shortly after I put my new tires and wheels on I noticed that when I get to an area where the road is really uneven or bumpy my steering will sway with the road. So I'm trying to pin down the causes of this cus I don't particularly like it much and I'm worried about long term effects.

1) It's my brand of tires but I don't see why cus the tread is an a/t and they are evenly worn or the upped size to a 33"

2) My front spacers are causing it bc of the wider stance and the actual wheel is farther from the hub.

3) I think my rotors might be warped cus steering wobbles when breaking which might cause enough play for tires to grab the crevices.

4) >> Enter suggestion here <<

I can't really think of anything else right now. The steering doesn't wobble during driving other than when breaking and it's not a bad wobble, but it is noticeable. I never had this issue until I added the spacers, 17" wheels, and 33" tires. Everything is tightened up. I'll prob take a look at the spacer lugs and see if they have backed out a little. I put medium loctite on them and torqued them to setting so they shouldn't have. What y'all think?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 PM

How big of spacers did you put on? Hub/Lug centric?

My wheel will wobble a bit with my 285s when braking, but that tire is a lot heavier than the stock option, and takes more effort to stop. Most people upgrade to the Tundra brakes, and I'm considering this once mine are shot.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM

1.25" on all 4 tires. Lug Centric
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM

How are the balljoints and alignment?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM

bj's looked fine last time I had the front disassembled but doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong with them. They are one of those things that you replace in time regardless of looks. And actually come to think of it.. I didn't get an allignment when I got my new tires and wheels put on. I just had them put the rims on the tire and balance the tires then stuck them on myself. Possible cause?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Usually weak links will show themselves with larger heavier tires. Get an alignment. If there are damaged components, usually they will tell you they cant do it. I would say your altered suspension, lack of alignment, and insufficent brakes are causing it. If your toe in or out to much, it will act strange.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:17 PM

well, next oil change (which is in like 400 miles) I'm gonna get an allignment. If that doesn't work I'm getting tundra breaks, cus I need to anyways. If that doesn't work then guess I better keep lookin.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a aftermarket steering stabilizer? Or stock? I have 31's and no steering stabilizer and mine does the same, I have an OME steering stabilizer ready to be put on.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

^ 3rd gen 4runners don't have steering stabilizers.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM

If you got it aligned after you did the lift, I doubt it's that, unless they didn't do a good job. I've felt warped rotors on my 3rd gen and it only shook the steering wheel when braking, never because of bumps or uneven road. I would check your steering rack bushings. With the truck idling, take a knee right by the driver's door and look at the steering rack. Move the steering wheel back and forth a few inches each way with your right hand. If the rack itself moves, your bushings are worn.

A little bit of wandering after hitting a rut in the road seems to be normal after you lift a 3rd gen. I have repalced my CVs, upper and lower BJs, inner and outer tie rods, steering rack bushings, rotors and pads over the last year and a 1/2 and it still takes a little longer to recover after hitting a large rut compared to stock. I would describe it as a little bit of wheel bounce.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
^ 3rd gen 4runners don't have steering stabilizers.
Whoops, didn't notice that haha, that's what lack of sleep will do to ya.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yah you are already stating some of the potential problems. Get the alignment. Get an expert opinion on the steering rack bushings while they are at it. See if they don't try to tell you the rack itself is in need of replacement.

Have an expert opinion rendered on the tie rod inners and outers. You have seen the threads regarding catastrophic failure of the ball joints yes?

So don't put any of this off, and do all of this before you consider doing a body lift. Most definitely get the heavy duty hardware for said body lift.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 PM

perhaps sway bar links are week or broken? what psi are you runnin in your tires? suggest jackin up the front end and givin a thorough shake down.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Brian, I tried what you said and the steering rack does not move. Tomorrow, I'm gonna take the tires off and check the lugs on the spacers as well as give the whole front end a look like ^clyde^ said. I'll prob have my dealership shop buddy come check it out too. It's a 11 year old truck so I mean, maybe it's time for new bushings, some tightening/looseing, and other stuff. I'm not so much worried about the allignment now, so it will be my last resort.

Last edited by JWaldz; 08-06-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM

what size tires where you running befor???? if you went up that prolly the problem. when i went from 33 to 35 i could barely keep it on the road then got a dual shock stab. and it did wonders man.

The vibration when brakeing is def your rotors.

as far as the spacer, ANY time you do ANYTHING to the suspention you will feel a deference in the handling..

Good luck and hope this help bro!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM

265/75-16 (31's) to 285/70-17 (33's). I've experienced this before with my old jeep but hell, it was cus I had ss thornbirds and those treads grab whatever they can get a hold of. As for the 4Runner, they are all terrains and shouldn't be the cause. Those 265's I had were mud terrains and it drove straight as can be..

I already had the lift on with the 31's and it drove fine. None of this started till I put on the spacers, and bigger tires and rims. Which is why I'm starting to think it's not so much anything wrong with the steering components.

Last edited by JWaldz; 08-06-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 AM

do they rub with the spacer off??? if not take them and and see how it drives!!! what kind of stabilizer do you have??
Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM

my wheels wont fit without the spacers.. The centers on the wheels wont fit around the centers on the hub, they're too small. Which is why I got spacers.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JWaldz
my wheels wont fit without the spacers.. The centers on the wheels wont fit around the centers on the hub, they're too small. Which is why I got spacers.
I'd bet that's your problem. Spacers are NOT a solution for fitting wheels that we're not designed to fit!
Your 1.25" spacers with aftermarket wheels that don't fit sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yah that makes perfect sense rocket... JWaldz change out those wheels and try different or stock set and see how it improves...

Quick Reply: Swaying with every crevice in the road.. Multiple conclusions