Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sway bar link - broken - impressions...

Old 08-03-2006, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar link - broken - impressions...

Last night, leaving work, I drove out of the driveway. I was turning, driving roughly 20mph when I heard something snap.

Stopped, looked, and saw the driver's side sway bar link broken in half.
I will post some pics, as there seems to be a lot of cristalization within the fracture.

Driving impressions...using kayaking terms, the initial stability is considerably worse. It takes very little cornering force to load up a side. Secondary stability is still ok, given my springs are relatively stiff.

uberhahn
Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 AM

if it's the rear one you broke...don't worry about it. Mine broke wheelin'....drove with it broken for a bit...wasn't that bad. but its a dealer only part ($165 CDN)...that sucked

-B
Old 08-03-2006, 04:48 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i disconnected mine for paragon and will be removing them completely now.

you dont need em, just be aware of your swaying in turns. you shouldnt be taking quick turns in these trucks anyway, esp if youre lifted!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 AM

Yah. The front driver's one broke. I don't drive it like a racecar. Just normal truck driving. My wife doesn't like the unstable feeling when she's in the vehicle, so I'll end up replacing the front pair, along with the bushings.

uber
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by uberhahn
Yah. The front driver's one broke. I don't drive it like a racecar. Just normal truck driving. My wife doesn't like the unstable feeling when she's in the vehicle, so I'll end up replacing the front pair, along with the bushings.

uber
Just a thought but why not go w/ longer, stronger end links. My rears look pretty weak so I ordered up some from Wabfab and he put together some pretty tough looking endlinks w/ bushings for $100 shipped. I haven't had the chance to install them yet but if my fronts go, I'm pretty sure I'd go w/ Wabfab again.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Just as a note, you can get these aftermarket and do have the pivot joint like oem. I broke my front driverside and got it aftermarket from a local parts store..total cost was like 40 bucks CDN and it fit perfectly and is stainless.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:39 PM

i owuld definately plan on replacing the front one, that can be dangerous.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Just as a note, you can get these aftermarket and do have the pivot joint like oem. I broke my front driverside and got it aftermarket from a local parts store..total cost was like 40 bucks CDN and it fit perfectly and is stainless.
Which store was this? I tried to call a few different parts stores, and they either didn't know what I was talking about or didn't have it available...

**Edit: Called NAPA and they said that they had some for a Tacoma. Hopefully, it's the same thing. They are $19 for the pair and come with bushings.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-08-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KyleT
i owuld definately plan on replacing the front one, that can be dangerous.
Ditto, rears you can get away without, but no fronts can give you very dangerous body roll turning at highway speeds. If you do alot of offroading then you probably broke them while articulating so you might get a set of quick disconnects like Wabfab (Brian) makes (fronts and rears)
Old 09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 09-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Mine also just broke except it's the passenger side. Ordered mine from Evan at Northridge Toyota and payed something around $60.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I will have both of my original fronts available later this week if you still need one.

Andreas
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I broke the front twice now (2nd time happend last week) and the rears are long gone. Im just going to go w/o swaybars. Just hopefully wont need to do a high-speed turn. :/
Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by p nut
Which store was this? I tried to call a few different parts stores, and they either didn't know what I was talking about or didn't have it available...

**Edit: Called NAPA and they said that they had some for a Tacoma. Hopefully, it's the same thing. They are $19 for the pair and come with bushings.
It is a parts store in my town called Import Auto Parts...Always double check with napa as they may be the straight links with no ball joint type thing
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I broke the front twice now (2nd time happend last week) and the rears are long gone. Im just going to go w/o swaybars. Just hopefully wont need to do a high-speed turn. :/
Serious???

IMO, you are too tall for that.

I ran the LC coils with no rear sway bar and I could pull a front tire in the air a foot when making a sharp turn... It scared the crap out of my a couple of times so I put it back on. I don't think it makes a difference wheelin' anyway.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
im lifted 6-7 inches total and have had my sway bars disconnected since i got the truck. i dont know how it feels without the lean as the lean feels normal to me. i take turns as fast as i did in my stock 4runner and im just fine. in my opinion, it is not needed. i dont know how many of you take sharp turns at highway speeds but i dont think any SUV/truck can handle that...
Old 09-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sway Bar End Links and Quick Disconnects

Old 09-09-2006, 05:22 AM

LOL, when I rand mine into the ditch a little while ago, I bent my front passenger swaybar link pretty bad. And come to find out just last night that its broken in two now.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
im lifted 6-7 inches total and have had my sway bars disconnected since i got the truck. i dont know how it feels without the lean as the lean feels normal to me. i take turns as fast as i did in my stock 4runner and im just fine. in my opinion, it is not needed. i dont know how many of you take sharp turns at highway speeds but i dont think any SUV/truck can handle that...
It seems like you are comparing a lifted Taco and a lifted 4Runner COG...totally different truck in that context.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:55 AM

Ok, can someone give me some tips on how to remove the stock link? Since they've got a ball joint, I can't unscrew the nut off--it just keeps spinning. I pulled this picture off of Google search:

It's not the nut on top, but where the link attaches at the bottom. I can't get that off.

Suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sway bar link - broken - impressions...