Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which SUV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which SUV??

Okay.... now that my fiancee has driven the 4runner in the Winter...she wants it... Now I need to find something else because I would rather her drive this (4cyl) and I will get something with more HP. So, I have a dilemma and want input from you guys...

Although 2 4runners in the driveway sounds appealing to some I wouldn't mind having something else with the 4runner.

Whithin reason what would you get..??

Xterra
Land Rover
Montero
Frontier
Tacoma or Tundra??

Others????

Some input from past owners or from someone who knows someone that owns one of these would be nice.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:38 PM

If you want to go with something different but keep the same features and reliability, I'd definitely say go with a TACOMA V6 and SC that sucka!

If not then I really don't know what to tell you.

The LANDCRUISER is the only thing I would consider out of the remaining list.

FRONTIER's are ugly in my opinion and no where compare to a TACOMA.

XTERRAS seem too small, interior wise.

And MONTERO.. I don't know.

Just throwing something out.

Last edited by KING; 02-06-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Land Rovers are overpriced for what you get in my opinion. I agree Frontiers are pretty ugly. I would go for one of the 2 Toys or the Xterra. I've never heard anything bad about them Xterra and they seem pretty practical to me. If it was me I would just stick with the 4Runner as it seems the most practical, but thats for me. You have to decide what you are gonna be using the truck for and what you need out of the truck. If you need to haul go for the Tundra, if you just wnat a nice truck go for the Tacoma, if you want a little bit of both go with another 4Runner or if you want a change of scenery the Xterra. Good luck with your choice.

Jonathan
Old 02-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

my vote is for the Tacoma.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Bud

another vote for the tacoma . Every household should have a truck.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 PM

I think if I had to choose I would go with the new Tundra Doublecab, of course they still cost a lot of $$$. Tacoma is just too small imo. My second choice would be the Xterra. I think they are fairly nice (no 4runner of course) and priced really well.

As for the Montero, my uncle as a '03 Montero Limited (big body type) and loves it. I personally think it looks ugly and in the shape of an egg. But if you are talking about the Montero Sport, they are ok. There styling are outdated and looks like they are too old and not very modern., but are priced very well.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Last edited by ben95m; 02-06-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:38 PM

My pick would be the Tacoma with the Turd package and supercharge it.

Next would be a Tundra

-If not...get a Xterra or Land Rover

I actually started to buy a black supercharged Xterra...BUT I bought a black (soon to be supercharged) 4runner. Why? The Xterra looked cool and I loved the titanium gunmetal accents on the wheels..ect. The supercharger is the only way to go with an Xterra...otherwise it is a little bit puny for my taste. Xterras are not bad at all for wheeling, they beat your average Heep... Now for what I didn't like...

-The ride SUCKS! It rode worse that my old Heep. Handling was not great either.
-The supercharged version with all of the cool options was over $30,000... Even "charged" the Xterra was weak...Especially since I had ridden in my buddy's supercharged 4runner about a week before I test drove the Xterra.
-I am a big guy...I am tall and I am broad-shouldered and I didn't have enough room in the Xterra...My knees hit the dash.
-Quality: I love Nissan vehicles, but this one was too "plastic"
-My friend has one and it is always in the shop.

So my decision was easy when I saw my 4runner...

Old 02-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Tacoma, Tacoma, Tacoma, Tacoma, Tacoma!!!!!!!

If you need the extra space then just get a camper shell and you're set! Hell you want mine? I'm thinking about upgrading from a PreRunner to 4x4.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:02 PM

Since most spouses are not all that inclined (not all but most) to modify their rides, I would get another 3rd gen 4Runner in the V6 flavor and modify to taste. It won't be long before your 4Runners look altogether different.
I traded away my '03 TRD Xtra Cab Taco (with ARE cap) for my '00 4Runner 5-speed and, although I miss that electric diff lock, I am delighted with the switch.
Mike
Old 02-06-2004, 02:31 PM

For starters I'd defiantely go with a truck, no sense in having two SUV's if you ask me. With that said I'd go with a double cab Tundra if you can afford it. They are pretty pricey but they are also equally awesome.

If not the Tundra, then I'd go with the doublecab Tacoma followed by the Frontier.

-Keith
Old 02-06-2004, 02:58 PM

need I say more?

Xterra(I owned one for several years) It's ok but if you're used to Toyota quality, why go slumming with the Nissan? Tacoma has better build quality, just as much passenger room (and more comfortable) anyway. Plus you got the bed.

Frontier-looks like no sliding rear glass and looks like

Land Rover? I thought you wanted something to drive, not send your mechanic's kids to college!

Check the resale values on all your choices.

Taco, baby!

edit: oh yeah, the Tundra is really sweet too.

Last edited by FirstToy; 02-06-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 PM

Xterra

I have to be honest, I really have a thing for the Xterra. I took one for a test drive and for an SUV it does not have much room inside which was dissapointing. As for quality....well I have to take whatever I hear from you guys because I don't know much about Nissan let alone the Xterra. One of my concerns about the Xterra was that I heard you had to do some body work to get larger tires under it without rubbing..... Second, is I would definetly want the higher 210HP vs. the 170HP but this means the SC version..... not sure I trust stock superchargers...??? Anyone??

I like the Tacos and Tundras but I am not really drawn to PUs. (Yet).

I am very tempted on another 4Runner but it would be nice when you get bored of one that you could drive something different like and Xterra..

What about a Jeep .....?? remember this is a second vehicle not replacing the 4Runner. I don't want to spend allot of money in an case though.

thanks for the input!

Last edited by Sass69; 02-06-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:50 PM

Sounds like you've already decided you want the Xterra. The good thing is that it seems like you don't have to rush into anything. I'd go to used car lots and look at Xterra's if you dig them. Sometimes used car lots will let you take cars home for an overnight test.

I got to take an eclipse home for an entire weekend once. If you've got the time I'd test drive all of the stuff you're interested in. Test drives are fun if you just ignore the salesmen.

-Keith
Old 02-06-2004, 05:51 PM

Re: Xterra

Originally posted by Sass69
....... remember this is a second vehicle not replacing the 4Runner. I don't want to spend allot of money in an case though.

thanks for the input!

Second vehicle? Why didn't you say so? In that case, get a 1st or 2nd gen 4Runner!
Old 02-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Out of the list

I've owned several types of what you are considering:

Honda Passport - sucked to high heaven

1996 Taco - great rig, put 98K on it in 2 years and nothing but routine maintenance

1999 Taco - another great rig, traded it in on a

2001 Tundra - another fine rig, a bit smaller than my dad's Silverado, but had (4) doors instead of (3) - it went to a Sienna when the boys came

Everyone needs more Toyotas in their life, I have (2) and will never again buy anything else!

GO TACO with the TRD and the SC!

Old 02-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Xterra

Originally posted by Sass69
I have to be honest, I really have a thing for the Xterra. I took one for a test drive and for an SUV it does not have much room inside which was dissapointing. As for quality....well I have to take whatever I hear from you guys because I don't know much about Nissan let alone the Xterra......
...Second, is I would definetly want the higher 210HP vs. the 170HP but this means the SC version..... not sure I trust stock superchargers...??? Anyone??

I like the Tacos and Tundras but I am not really drawn to PUs. (Yet).

What about a Jeep .....?? remember this is a second vehicle not replacing the 4Runner. I don't want to spend allot of money in an case though.
I don't normally trash on Jeeps but I know several people who have put a lot of money in on their older Jeeps to extend the life of the vehicle.
I have nothing against them but if you're looking at getting something that's going to do you well in the long term I'd say stay away from Jeep.

The XTerra is pretty nice. I have to agree on the size thing, it's deceptively smaller from the inside. I'm not too keen on the 170 stock HP and 210 SC'ed especially when you consider that a V6 Tacoma has 190 stock. I will say that from my experience and those around me that Nissan is one of those manufacturers that can make a car that'll last.
Our campus has a motorist assistance program that has employees driving around in 10 year old Nissan pickups. None of the domestics have lasted that long and you know 10 years is a lot if you've ever worked anywhere with open use vehicles.
Those things get abused like crazy.

My vote is still Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell but if the XTerra calls to you then go for it - just stay away from a Jeep if you're looking at trying to make it last.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:56 PM

Taco yo
Old 02-06-2004, 09:17 PM

I had a 96 Montero and it was a good vehicle. Underpowered worse than a stock 4Runner, but a wide open interior. Lots of space and the handy(if you have kids) fold down third row seats. Had some decent features to it and wasn't to bad off-road(although mine didn't see anything too trying).
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the reason for the low output of the nissan motors that are supercharged is that they run less than 5lbs of boost, nissan did the right thing when building that motor, lowered the compression substantially, etc. they just stuck a huge pulley on the blower so it would last 200k miles. there are smaller pulleys and intake/exhaust stuff available from a number of places. also, they are down on power compared to the taco/4runner but are geared deeper, some x-terra's came with 4.90 something gearing.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sass,

have you looked at xterraownersclub.com? most of the guys over there are pretty cool. ask around there before making up your mind on what appears to be your first choice.

bob

Quick Reply: Which SUV??