Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension Suggestions?

Got a question for anyone who will graciously take the time to answer it ...

I’m looking to upgrade my suspension and need some guidance. I’ve read many, many posts about how to install shocks/coils (but I’m very mechanically DECLINED, and will probably resort to paying someone to do it) and which ones are best (face it ... you Bilstein fans will never, ever agree with OME fans!)

Before anyone can comment, here are my reasons for wanting to change my suspension, which may guide your responses:

1) I need to replace my nearly worn-out Bridgestone 265s

2) I’d like to replace them with Wrangler MT/R 285s

3) To do that, I’d need a couple of inches of lift

4) When I have passengers in the back seat or a load in the back, the back end seems to “bottom out” when hitting bumps

My rig is a ‘99 4Runner Sport, supercharged. The only alteration to the suspension so far is front and rear Addco sway bars.

I don’t intend to do much off-roading for awhile, but may someday. Because I need this truck to be a traveling machine for a couple more years, I really don’t want a harsh ride.

Hopefully, that provides enough info for some generous, knowledgeable soul to provide me some advice on what combination of springs, shocks, lift kits, etc., will best solve my dilemma. I can also be e-mailed directly at: N8RV@gte.net

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, I can't belive no one has replied here yet...

If you are really set on going to 285's, then you are obviously going to need the most amount of lift. If you are not 100% set on this tire size, then you have a few more options.

I am still stock, for now, but am upgrading to OME gear all of the way around. After reading countless posts and reviews on the subject, I personally felt that OME would meet my need for price and ride comfort. If money were no object, I would have opted for the Sway Away Racerunners for the front, but instead I got a good deal on a used front set-up.

I am probably not answering your question, but I just wanted to see how you really felt about going to 285's. Are you willing to regear and reclaibrate your speedo as a consequence? Are you dead-set on this tire size, or would you be happy with 265/75's instead?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree with Jayson. I have OME's all around right now, and I was thinking of going to 285's myself. But that is an investment, because to do it right, you do need to regear. And to do the regear right, you need to do both the front and rear diffs, to keep the ratios the same. You also need to recalibrate the speedo.

And if you're taking things apart to regear, you may as well install a locker.....

And after all that is done, going to 285's will require wider rims. And there's no guarantee you still won't have rubbing issues, depending on the backspacing of the rims you choose.

All this means lots of money, and which is why I expect to stick with 265/75/16's.

OK, back to the lift. Coils: you'll get the most lift out of OME or Downey in the rear. For the fronts, go with OME or SAW's if you have the money.

Shocks: OME agian.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm ... regear?

OK, let's start over with an amendment to my original post ...

I was earlier informed that "everybody eventually goes with 285s ..." Maybe not, huh?

I thought the idea was to lift the truck and pop on larger tires. Hmmm ...

So, let's stick with the 265s then. Kinda like the SC, I knew I'd have to mount a tranny cooler. Had no idea that I'd really have to do the valve body mod as well.

I don't mind paying the extra for the SAWs if they're really better for my needs. I plan to keep this truck till it dies, so a few hundred bucks one way or another is really not an issue.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Don
Old 05-13-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
VF:

It sounds like you plan to use this more on-road than off. If so...are you sure that 285s is the way to go? For one thing, it will decrease your gas mileage---if that is important to you. Second, if you go w/ 285s, you'll have to regear. Third, your center of gravity will be higher and thus, your ride quality may be compromised.

though i've been riding on my PP 1" lifts with Bils for only 2 weeks now, I'm pretty happy with them. I intend to buy 265/75/16s and putting some more "aggressive" looking tires to fill in the gap. Probably Revos or MT/Rs.

Bob
Old 05-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Don,

Yeah, I don't mean to play devil's advocate - I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't regear with 285's, but if you don't, you'll definitely notice a difference in performance. If I were to do it, I'd want to go all the way.

I mainly went with OME's instead of SAW's because of cost. I also wasn't 100% convinced that Saw's weren't more than I really needed. A huge benefit is the adjustability factor. You can dial in whatever amount of lift you want or need. After the issues I had with my CV's, this would have made my life alot easier.

With SAW's, you will need to re-build them eventually; I think people probably do them once a year or so. There's a writeup in the tech section outlining the rebuild, including the cost.

I love my OME setup right now. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get the exact same thing. But if you can spare the extra bucks, SAW's may be something to consider.

I also am running OME HD shocks and coils in the rear, and med duty coils/hd shocks up front. The ride is DEFINITELY stiffer than stock. I don't mind it a bit, and its awesome off-road. If you do go with OME, you may want to consider comfort shocks as opposed to the HD shocks.

So with that in mind, if I was outfitting your rig, I'd probably go with SAW's up front, OME or Downey coils in the rear, and OME comfort (med duty) shocks in the rear.

Take a gander at Steve Schaefer's site, he has tested a bunch of different setups.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info and advice, guys.

I guess I'll check into things, planning on 265s and PM you with specifics, if you don't mind.

Thanks again,

Don