Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension-related rattle question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension-related rattle question

I've got to ask if anyone else has encountered any rattles or cluncking noise following installation of your Sway Away Coilovers? I have and the best way I can describe it is a rattling or cluncking noise from the front driver's side wheel. No problem with the passenger side. The best I can figure, the noise developed after the SAWs were installed.

I hear the noise going over bumps and pot holes, more often at slower speeds. The rattle doesn't happen all the time. Are there any bushings or related part that could have been damaged or not replaced during the install?

I'm going to spend some time this weekend trying to locate the source of the rattle, but wanted to ask you guys if anything similar has happened to you. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:14 PM

I've had the same problem for years without the coilovers. It has stumped many a mechanic. (2nd gen)

Sounds kinda like a large BB is a metal can at times going slowly over uneven pavement. Comes and goes, interrmittent.

Upper and lower ball joints, etc. replaced, no go. Looking forward to the input you get on this one.

-Leaf
Old 01-01-2004, 05:46 PM

If these are the "newer" SAWs (675ppi springs) there have been some issues. Ryan from SAW has posted a response on the ttora forum.
He said: Ok after replicating the "clunking" problem and performing numerous
valving changes, we have determined that this is a valving issue. Due to the dramatic flow characteristics of the new style piston over the old style, this caused a dramatic valving change to be done to compensate for the increased flow which intern caused the "low speed clunk" due to the extremely stiff valving upon initial stroke. Now for the good news, Sway-A-Way Inc. stands behind its product 100% and I pride myself on excellent customer service, we are going offer this solution: For those of you who are expiriancing this problem, please call me directly and I will issue an RGA# for the return. Once I receive the shocks we will revalve them at N/C and send them back to you free freight. For the cost of shipping the shocks to Sway-A-Way Inc. we will reimburse regular ground shipments "ONLY", please include a copy of the invoice in the box and a check will be mailed out to you shortly. I thank you all for your patience and understanding, and look forward to many more years of customer satisfaction with RaceRunner products. 818-700-9712 x-223

If you purchased and received your shocks before June 1 2003 this warranty campaign does not apply to you, however for those you of you that did purchase the shocks on or after June 1st & if you are have valving issues then we will revalve your shocks at n/c. Now for those of you who purchased your shocks before June 1st and feel you need try and send your shocks in for a free revalve, if an old piston is found in your shocks you will be responsible for all labor and shipping costs.

Hope this helps, mine are newer too, but I haven't had this problem yet.

Last edited by RobT2k; 01-01-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

RobT2k,
Mine were purchased and installed late March 2003. Only recently the rattling has started to get to me. If I can't find anything wrong a 4x4 shop doing my state inspection this month said they would take a look. I'll have one of the mechanics ride with me around the lot trying to make it rattle.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM

The only rattle I had was when my A-arm bolt/nut came loose and it would make a rattle at low speeds or when I put that tire on a rock. To check just jack the truck up until that tire is off the ground, and then try to lift up the tire or shake it to see if there is any free play. That was the only way I could recreate the rattle.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Rob,
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that as well. I admit not knowing much about auto mechanics, but trying to solve small problems like this by looking around under the truck and using the pics and diagrams from the Haynes manual is giving me a better understanding of the suspension.

After I get my FSM, I'd like to find someone local with 4Runner repair experience to see if they will help teach me some field repairs I might encounter.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:23 AM

I have the older SAW but have a similar rattling noise but from the back end. I solved it though, by cranking TOOL`s latest CD.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:51 AM

yep, i have the same problem . . . sort of a clunking sound going over moderate bumps at about 15-20 mph . . .sound right? i think the "old" pistons have the same issues, but they don't want to fix that problem for free.

maybe a big old ARB bumper will solve the problem???

creed
Old 01-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

my two cents:

- it could be that youre due for a re-charge
- or it could just be the SAWs shifting a little bit. check your bolts and make sure theyre tight. the lower SAW joint is rotating, it could just be shifting over the bumps.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Ryan, I'll add your suggestions to my check list.

btw, your "redesigned" web page is looking good.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 01-02-2004 at 10:16 AM.