Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension recall

Hey guys I was just looking around at 4runner stuff and came up with the rear suspension recall for 96-98 4runners from last year. I got my 4runner used and started wondering if mine qualified. I checked the door panel and it said that mine was made in feb 98, which is the last month the recall was supposed to be for. My car is a 4wd tho and they said that it wasnt supposed to be affected. However, I heard that everyone who got this done is very satisified with it so if mine qualifies I would want to get mine done as well since its free. Does anybody know if they still do this? And do I just call toyota to find out if my car has had it done or qualifies for it?? Oh also anybody else who has had this done I would love to hear your opinions on it, especially the ones with 4wd. thanks!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:03 PM

It applies to 4x4's as well. Simply call your local Toyota dealer and give them your VIN #. They will find out whether it's been done or not.

I'd definitely recommend it. The original ones for recall may be a safety hazard under heavy load and what the heck...free new rear coil springs are just that!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

haha yea imma try and get them. Free's always good. gonna call the dealor tomorrow. Im not too good at mechanics and stuff. What should I look for to see if they did the work or not so I can comapare before and after? I dont want no half-assed job done on my truck. I've read a couple of people's post that they had to go back to the dealor because the dealor forgot to do something. Any tips?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:05 PM

There's not a lot to go wrong w/the rear coil replacement in my opinion. Basically you jack up the rear end, disco the shocks, lateral rod & stabilizer bar, lower the axle enough to remove the coil spring and replace them. I think the only dangerous item back there (other than the fuel tank) is the brake line.

I guess just make sure your brake line is still good and that they reconnected/bolted your rear shocks, lat rod & stabilizer rod.

Al
Old 03-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

haha man I feel like such a moron. I was getting worked up over all this and searched high and low for everything about the recall. Then I saw JasonB's pictures of before and after the fix. Man before there was no space between the axle and the bump stop but after there was so much space. Well I got curious and took a flashlight n checked under my car and there was a ton of space between the bump stop and there was also the thing in the spring so I guess the guy I got the car from got the thing done or it already had it done. Oh well, thanks anyways for the replies hboss. And also thanks to all the people who posted the tons of info on this subject too. It really helped.