Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension for 3rd gen for a smooth ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension for 3rd gen for a smooth ride?

I know there are a TON of suspension threads but I couldn't find any for someone who isn't ever going to do any offroading (i'll leave that for my FJ40 ) Do I just need new shocks or should i replace spring too? I have a 2001 4Runner 4WD with 80,000 miles. Whenever I hit a bump while turning I'm all over the road! Thanks for any help!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

I would start by replacing the sway bar and steering rack bushings with poly. See how that feels on the rig. Should tighten things up a bit.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 04-24-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Try a set of Tokiko Trek Master shocks, they seem to be the great street ride champs.

No gripes out of anyone who has installed them.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think shocks alone will make a big difference. Yesterday I installed new Monroe Sensatracs. I didn't really care about the name. I needed new shocks (badly -- the truck would heave like an oil tanker on freeway undulations) and they were on sale. I figured cute little gimmick. But wow! I can't believe how planted it is in the corners now.

It's also flatter in the corners. A while back I broke a sway bar link and didn't feel like paying 80 bucks for one from Toyota so I took the whole thing off and didn't bother to install again. My point? The new shocks feel like I put the sway bar back in. Hope it helps.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:55 PM

OME so I heard. But Im real partial to bilsteins. Yeah!!!!!Billes.....Also you might want to buy the urathane kit from wheelers off road and replace you stock sway bar bushings, bump stops, and all the good stuff
Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
OME so I heard. But Im real partial to bilsteins. Yeah!!!!!Billes.....Also you might want to buy the urathane kit from wheelers off road and replace you stock sway bar bushings, bump stops, and all the good stuff

I think OMEs might be too soft (I prefer mine more plush) so Bilsteins will stiffen up the ride considerably and if you added poly bushings and a thicker sway bar, that vehicle should corner like a champ!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Springs?

Thanks for the responses! So I shouldn't need to replace the springs also?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

the springs should be fine....
Old 04-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dianna
Thanks for the responses! So I shouldn't need to replace the springs also?
Don't use the Performance Products springs in combination with the Bilsteins....you'll chip a tooth over a speedbump.
I think stock springs would be fine.

You can use the OME shocks and a thicker sway bar if you are only concerned about body lean in the turns, but if you like it to ride firmer over bumps too, then Bilsteins are defiantely the way to go.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

my wife has the PP 1" springs w/ HD billies and the ride is nice. A little stiff, but NOT teeth chattering. I guesss it is what you are used to and what you will be using the truck for. SHe was used to a heep and we are still young. THe lift increase adn ride quality are 110% better than stock. Jsut know that billies are a bit stiff, so you will feel more road bumps, etc.
I would look into SS3's recommendation if you are just replacing shocks
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Don't use the Performance Products springs in combination with the Bilsteins....you'll chip a tooth over a speedbump.
I think stock springs would be fine.

You can use the OME shocks and a thicker sway bar if you are only concerned about body lean in the turns, but if you like it to ride firmer over bumps too, then Bilsteins are defiantely the way to go.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:55 PM

I have never chipped any teeth with mine...stock springs should be fine but you might want to get rid of or cut down your stock rear bumpstops.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Any of you that chipped teeth let me know and I will fix them for you!

Nieuwendyk-25, D.D.S.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Hey sschaefer3,

Whats the difference between the stock shocks and the Trek Masters?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Lanai,
I've been wondering that same thing.....

Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

The stock shocks are Tokico just like the Trek Masters. I'm sure there's quite a bit of difference though. For a smoother highway ride (which kind of sounds like what you're describing), everyone has told me to just go back with a brand new set of OEM Tokico shocks and struts. They are softer than pretty much everything else out there. They're not great for cornering, but will give you the smoothest ride possible in a 4Runner. Or so I'm told....

Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lanai
Hey sschaefer3,

Whats the difference between the stock shocks and the Trek Masters?
Alot. The stock shocks are $17.00, the Trek Masters are alot more.

One is their cheapie, the other their best shock.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Steve,
Ellaborate a little please. I'm scared that putting a firmer shock on my truck is going to make the bone jarring ride even worse. I know the truck is not going to ride like a car. I realize that. I love my truck. I've just been looking for a way to make it a little less harsh. I mean, I hit a pothole and the whole damn interior shakes and rattles. Not a floaty shake, but a harsh jarring type shake. I guess it's my ignorance on shocks/struts but my impression is that firmer means a more harsh ride. Help me out here....BTW, I don't want to lift my truck so I'm looking for something to replace the OEM equipment that's got 125k miles on them. Thanks.

Matt
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Steve,
Ellaborate a little please. I'm scared that putting a firmer shock on my truck is going to make the bone jarring ride even worse. I know the truck is not going to ride like a car. I realize that. I love my truck. I've just been looking for a way to make it a little less harsh. I mean, I hit a pothole and the whole damn interior shakes and rattles. Not a floaty shake, but a harsh jarring type shake. I guess it's my ignorance on shocks/struts but my impression is that firmer means a more harsh ride. Help me out here....BTW, I don't want to lift my truck so I'm looking for something to replace the OEM equipment that's got 125k miles on them. Thanks.

Matt
What's up, LSUMatt! I'm right there with you about this whole harsh 4runner ride business, man. I know your post is from 8 years ago and I feel like talking to someone from the past, but I just got my own 3rd gen 4Runner not long ago and I have the same issue with the ride. I don't know if you still have your 4Runner, or if you've already come up with a solution to your own problem. It seems nobody's been able to get back to you on this thread too.

At any rate, I apologize for bringing up this ancient thread, but here's hoping you've finally come upon an acceptable solution to your car's ride characteristics. Part, if not the main problem with suspension and ride discussions in the forums is that everybody's got their own definition for "smooth ride", lol. I've read through quite a few similar threads of this topic and everyone's idea of a smooth ride run the whole range of descriptions it no longer even makes sense at times. Judging from your post, I think we both, as well as a few others, have the same idea of a smooth ride being that of a softer spring and light compression damping such that road bumps are soaked up by the suspension instead of transferred into the cabin. Think Chevy/GM-style ride, so to speak, as opposed to sportscar-stiff ride.

From what I've gathered in the forums so far, our best bet for a softer ride would be to go with OME 880 springs. There are a few different variants of the 3rd gen 4Runner series and I may have to go and re-check the specifics, but the idea is to look for a model that's specified for light load as opposed to heavy load which are meant for weight-adding accessories like winches, bullbars, etc. But, I'm kind of a cheap-skate bargain hunter type so I'm still waiting for some other simpler solution like say, using Highlander or Chevy Astro springs or something like that, lol. You never know what our fellow forumers with better resources than myself may have come up with.