Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Survey -- the best autoparts store?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survey -- the best autoparts store?

Which autopart store do you folks like best?

(1) Autozone -- my favorite

(2) Kragens/Checkers

(3) Pep Boys

(4) Others -- please specify
Old 06-06-2004, 06:40 PM

I usually go to Kragen cause it's right up the street. But for some reason I have a feeling that their parts are kind of cheap (quality). Of course, I have no evidence to back that statement up, it's just a feeling. I think I would prefer Napa to the others you listed.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:46 PM

The local Napa here is nasty- every product has layers and layers of dust, you know the type of store- all the packages look really, really old. They aren't too helpful either, all they do is sit on their stools behind the counter and blaze cigs.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:57 PM

Come to think of it, the people at the Napa here are pretty slow too. But one of the guys I dealt with at Kragen takes the cake. I was asking him if they carried a throttle body for my 95 runner. He looked me right in the eye and said, "There is no throttle body on that engine." I stood there and stared at him for a few seconds (completely dumbfounded) then I just walked out of the store.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:03 PM

Kragen for sure. Pep boys and napa have not had good encounters with their staff, and their stores are usually low on stock, or have lame bling stuff for replacements.

The guys at the kragen I go to are very friendly, helpful, and they almost always have what I need, and if they don't they will call their other stores to find me what I need.

On another note, I bought my rancho shocks for something like $140 there, because I get the military discount (its a beautiful thing) even though it was a wharehouse order and they aren't supposed to do that. I also had no problem returning both holley carburetors that I purchased through them, which were faulty, but I don't blame checkers for that, I blame holley.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:12 PM

We don't have a Napa... so I wouldn't know

I go to Autozone more often now because it's a little closer to my house (It's new here) but I feel ashamed for going there because it seems like... well like Blockbuster or something. Their service is crappy and not very friendly... there's lots of old ladies and they don't carry as much stuff as Kragens. I like the fact that Kragens... well they just seem much nicer and I don't feel bad going there. I hate those freakin' Autozone comercials with the super riced up ghey cars. Autozone tries really hard to be "cool" with all their NOS, etc. stuff.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Advanced and auto zone ... advanced only becouse their closer
Old 06-06-2004, 07:16 PM

As soon as I saw Jesse James endorsing Autozone I figured it was that kind of place.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Out of those listed I would vote AutoZone but above all my favorite one would be the local chain around here called O'Reillys, all the people there are really helpful and always willing to go out of their way to gimme advice on stuff...its a great store!

Fink
Old 06-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

the autozone near me doesn't know english.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:36 PM

I am trying to figure this out myself. I alternate between autozone, pepboys and car quest because thats what around here. I will check all of there prices and go will the cheapest. How do you feel about ordering parts off the internet?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:43 PM

local napa for me, lots of friendly guys, but i think they are a franchisee here (maybe that is the difference). The guys @ checker here gimme the willys, i always feel dirty by the time i leave. And i only go to autozone if i already know what i need, where it is located and about how much it costs, otherwise i end up walking out with a headache, a light wallet, or both.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lordco
Old 06-06-2004, 10:23 PM

i either go to shucks or a local place close to my house called national auto parts there quick and always have what you need and they have given me some stuff for free.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:30 PM

I'll go to kragen, pep boys, and autozone... whoever has what I need for less. I do my research before I go to the store -- that way I can avoid having to rely on them for information that they're prolly wrong on, anyway.

I will say that pep boys has always been great about ordering me parts. If its something that they usually carry, and I go in the morning, they'll have it sent from their warehouse same-day. Otherwise I can pick it up next day.

I was sad when they closed Cheif Auto Parts -- they were so great. You could actually talk to their employees, and trust the info they gave ya.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by slammdrider
i either go to shucks or a local place close to my house called national auto parts there quick and always have what you need and they have given me some stuff for free.
National is sweet. i dunno if they have them anyplace else but they are in WA. They got a lot of high quality stuff.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by potroast
I'll go to kragen, pep boys, and autozone... whoever has what I need for less. I do my research before I go to the store -- that way I can avoid having to rely on them for information that they're prolly wrong on, anyway.

I will say that pep boys has always been great about ordering me parts. If its something that they usually carry, and I go in the morning, they'll have it sent from their warehouse same-day. Otherwise I can pick it up next day.

I was sad when they closed Cheif Auto Parts -- they were so great. You could actually talk to their employees, and trust the info they gave ya.
Wasnt Cheif open 24 hours?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:13 PM

yeah, chief was 24 hours... l loved that place.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:36 PM

Dont got that:cry: many great stores in hawaii:beach:. You can usally find me in a Redline automotive. Or the Local performance part shop Ron's. Other than that, Im over at 4wheel parts. Most of the people that work at checkers here in hawaii, thier customer service sucks. And the product knowladge is even worse
Old 06-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the independent stores. Problem is, there isn't one anywhere near me so I settle for Checker/Autozone/Pep Boys, whoever has what I need in stock and at the best price. For electrical items (alternators, starters, etc.) I make the drive to G&S or NAPA.

Quick Reply: Survey -- the best autoparts store?