Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Surf De-Mister problems

Old 12-10-2002, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surf De-Mister problems

Hi guys im new to this forum and was hoping for some help. I found this prob only a few days ago and only because of the cold weather, When i press the button for the air to blast onto the windscreen nothin comes out. I have heard some people say there is a common problem with some cable that kinks stopping a flap moving, but i cant see any cable. On the side of my heater i can see a platic linkage attached to a servo, Then that linkage attaches to another platic linkage that sits in a kind of bananna shaped track. The servo moves this link when all the other buttons are pressed. So anyone else had this problem ?

BTW mines a 92' SSR-X Surf if that helps at all.

Cheers Matt.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:16 AM

no one can help ? :confused:
Old 12-10-2002, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never had an issue

Sorry, I haven't had a problem and have never had it apart.

Welcome to the forum though. Maybe Jay has seen this problem..
Old 12-10-2002, 06:27 AM

Cheers i thought i was invisible hehe
Old 12-10-2002, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Hey welcome to the forum, congrats, you found the best one on the web. Make yourself at home and stick around for awhile.

Now please don't judge us on this question, we are much better at things. I have never had a problem with m defrost, mayb shoot Jay a line or post a thread directed towards him, he is or resident Toyota Tech,either he or Dr. Z might be able to help you out there.

The SSR-X is just not something that we are to fimiliar with, we all wish we could have one though. Hope things work out for ya, let us know, and once again WELCOME .
Old 12-10-2002, 06:34 AM

i wasnt saying anything bad about the forum just playing with ya
Old 12-10-2002, 09:02 AM
Jay

Do you hear the fan working at all? Where does the air blow out of?

Jay
Old 12-10-2002, 09:06 AM

Yea i hear the air blowing and when i press the other buttons like to get the air to blow into the footwell, you feel it but it dosnt seem very powerfull down there. Seems as if its changing to the different settings just not properly, but when you press to hit the windscreen nothing comes out those vents, it just stays coming out the front vents.

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Jay

I would have to say there is a problem with the cable or linkage going to the vent mode door. My advice is to look up under the dash, while attempting to move the selector, and find the cable. Make sure it is moving fully in both directions.

Jay
Old 12-10-2002, 09:14 AM
02SilverV6

I have seen this problem before. It was the clamp that holds the cable. The cable came out of the clamp and would only partially work. Get under the dash on the passenger side and work the selector knob. Once you find the cable follow it to where it clamps onto the dash. See if it came loose, if so connect it back up. If it's not that I'm not sure what it is.

D.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:15 AM

Thats my main prob i cant see a cable, All i can see is a plastic linkage coming out the side of the heater unit, conected to a servo... will there be a cable on the end of this ?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by 02SilverV6
I have seen this problem before. It was the clamp that holds the cable. The cable came out of the clamp and would only partially work. Get under the dash on the passenger side and work the selector knob. Once you find the cable follow it to where it clamps onto the dash. See if it came loose, if so connect it back up. If it's not that I'm not sure what it is.

D.
Ok cheers ill try that

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 09:18 AM
02SilverV6

Hey Matt, do you have a picture of your SSR-X you can post?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:19 AM
Jay

Do you have some sort of Automatic Air Conditioning? Im not familiar with the Surf model. If you have an electronic (Push Button Type) Heater Control Panel Assembly, then you wont have cables.

Jay
Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Jay
Do you have some sort of Automatic Air Conditioning? Im not familiar with the Surf model. If you have an electronic (Push Button Type) Heater Control Panel Assembly, then you wont have cables.

Jay
Yea i have a electronic push button type.

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 AM
02SilverV6

I was thinking that to but figured since it was a 92 most likely it would be cable. I have never heard of a surfer either. I hope he has a picture.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:23 AM
02SilverV6

In that case it might be vacuum driven. Listen under the dash for a hissing noise. there might be a leak in a line causing it to loose pressure thus not allowing the vent to close all the way or change modes. If you find a leak try replacing the hose or sealing it somehow.

Just a thought.

D.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:23 AM

Hey Matt, do you have a picture of your SSR-X you can post?
I havnt got a pic of mine but i will sort one out and post it for you (its dark and snowing outside now so it will have to wait :p) But i do have a pic of somone elses one although it is quite small...

Matt
Attached Thumbnails Surf De-Mister problems-surf2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 09:25 AM
02SilverV6

Looks like the 4 runner we have here in the US. what part of the UK are you in. I used to live in Camberly, near London.

D.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:28 AM

Looks like the 4 runner we have here in the US. what part of the UK are you in. I used to live in Camberly, near London.

D.
I live in Bristol, It basically is a 4Runner but its a Japanese import (they call them Surfs). They have a few little tweaks and mods... and also are a lot cheaper to buy here in the Uk. Some of the mods are not to great thought for example... my surf has 2 batteries one for ignition and one for auxileries.

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surf De-Mister problems