Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

supra swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking supra swap

Hi. I'm currently finishing a supra swap into my 4Runner. The 3.0 l is a lot longer than the 3.0 V6. But is does fit without the use of the fan.
Anybody performed this swap before?
And what kind of electric fan has been used in front of the radiator (the only solution it seems) ?
I'm trying to find an adress or other info on pusher fans.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

You said you are completing this swap?? Pics man we need pics! I know of only one other guy that performed this swap. I think he's got a site somewhere. Anyone have that link I can't find it in all my Runner related stuff.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Old 05-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

pics

I've got tons of pics. Although I'm not finished yet.
Attached Thumbnails supra swap-7m-ge-motorswap.jpg  
Old 05-05-2003, 11:33 AM

www.yotapower.com

Should have the answers you need, or the email for the person who can answer them. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Flex-a-lite fans have a pretty slim design, and should fit in the space described.

Wow, that will be great when you get it running. We definetly want to see pics as you go!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

a supra inline 6 in a 4runner. . . . (wipes the drool of his shirt )
Old 05-05-2003, 03:19 PM

Yes, I have been running the supra motor for about 2 years now, and will never regret it.

There are many configuration you can do putting the motor in. Some will require cutting out radiator support, others will require cutting out the tranny tunnel, and others would require slight hammering on the firewall. But yes, it will fit.

I opt to cut out the radiator support to make room for a big PowerStroke intercooler. I run dual flex lite fan. Ultra thin. I got two seperate fans, but will be trading them in for the dual fans in a single mold. A little more sturdy. I run a supra radiator, but I think I will be dropping in a 3 core aluminim for those ultra hot days and high boost.

I am curretnly running around 400hp at the crank, and around 290-300 rwhp. Last time I dyno'ed I was 265 rwhp, but have added round 30hp since then.

Last edited by SuperRunner; 05-05-2003 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by SuperRunner
Yes, I have been running the supra motor for about 2 years now, and will never regret it.

There are many configuration you can do putting the motor in. Some will require cutting out radiator support, others will require cutting out the tranny tunnel, and others would require slight hammering on the firewall. But yes, it will fit.

I opt to cut out the radiator support to make room for a big PowerStroke intercooler. I run dual flex lite fan. Ultra thin. I got two seperate fans, but will be trading them in for the dual fans in a single mold. A little more sturdy. I run a supra radiator, but I think I will be dropping in a 3 core aluminim for those ultra hot days and high boost.

I am curretnly running around 400hp at the crank, and around 290-300 rwhp. Last time I dyno'ed I was 265 rwhp, but have added round 30hp since then.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the guy to ask about supras!!

PS Is that a 7MGE (non turbo) in there????
Old 05-05-2003, 03:24 PM

yes, it is turbo.

Upgraded turbo, and soon to have 550cc injectors and lexus afm.

Drivetrain really hates me. The only thing I havn't broken is the dual t-case
Old 05-05-2003, 04:25 PM

so you added a turbo to the 7mGE motor? Why not just get the 7mGTE? And what type of turbo did you upgrade to? How much boost are you running with the upgraded turbo? And have you replaced the HG or at least re-torqued it? Cuz those are known to blow on the 7m motor.

Maybe the last question.....why?

Super Runner I just checked ur site, were you the guy that was at Supras Invade Las Vegas with the green 4runner and parked it on top of the bottom of a lamp post?

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 05-05-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Del

Is it possible to run a turbo with an automatic, cause I know with a stick there's a wastegate and everything, but how does it work (if it even does work) with an auto.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Del
Is it possible to run a turbo with an automatic, cause I know with a stick there's a wastegate and everything, but how does it work (if it even does work) with an auto.
yes, there are a bunch of auto tt supras out there.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:42 PM

yes, it is turbo.

Upgraded turbo, and soon to have 550cc injectors and lexus afm.

Drivetrain really hates me. The only thing I havn't broken is the dual t-case

Oops sorry I know yours is a turbo SuperRunner, I was trying to ask 4Runner4Ever...his pic says 7M-GE and I saw no turbo parts on that engine (didnt' look that hard though) so I thought i'd ask...turbo=more bang for the buck....
Old 05-05-2003, 07:59 PM

to super runner
I too saw your ride at the las vegas supra invasion. I give you mad props for stuffing that motor in. With all that power, your runner isn't very fast. Do you need to regear it or something? If I can remember correctly, i saw you at the drags running I wanna say 17s or 18s not even going 60 MPH. Was it f***ed up then or what? I remember you had a loud bitchin BOV and I like the way you mounted your intercooler (looks kinda like a billet grill). I wanted (dreamed about) to do that swap in my old 93 yota truck, but I am glad to see someone make it work.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:14 PM

No, it is not a 7MGE with a turbo, it is a 7MGTE with an upgaded ct-26 turbo. 60-1 compressor wheel, but with the big intercooler, I can run more advanced timing, and higher boost to yield more power than most MKIII with the same setup.

Originally posted by koyota93
to super runner
I too saw your ride at the las vegas supra invasion. I give you mad props for stuffing that motor in. With all that power, your runner isn't very fast. Do you need to regear it or something? If I can remember correctly, i saw you at the drags running I wanna say 17s or 18s not even going 60 MPH. Was it f***ed up then or what? I remember you had a loud bitchin BOV and I like the way you mounted your intercooler (looks kinda like a billet grill). I wanted (dreamed about) to do that swap in my old 93 yota truck, but I am glad to see someone make it work.
My 4runner was slow as crap. As I had put in my first post, my clutch would not hold more than 30% throttle and maxed out at 5psi before it would start to slip.

My first run was something like 25 seconds. I gave it a little too much gas at the start and slipped the clutch right away making it useless the rest of the 1/4. My second run I let the clutch out all the way before I gave it gas. It held through 1st gear, but slipped all through 2nd, and 3rd, but still managed to pull a 17.9.

With a good clutch, and good sticky tires, I can pull the front left tire off the ground about a foot when I launch. I would have no problem pulling a low 15 right now, and when I re-gear it with 5.29's and put in the 550cc injectors, high 13's are in view.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately it is a non turbo. But it still has a lot more torque and horsepower than the s...y V6. Blown two headgaskets in one year. Just had it tuned (ported, headers,ignition etc.). Two weeks later the igniter failed: it's now a V5.
Instead of repairing it (i've got the head gaskets in stock!) I bought a supra at an auction for 600 euro (500 50$ I believe)without seeing it. It turned out to be a non turbo automatic with right hand driving.
So now I've got all necessary parts, except for the manual trans. I've used the R 150 gearcase from the '90 4Runner and fabricated my own bellhousing. I've ordered a clutch for the turbo supra and bought a used turboflywheel. Looks like I'm quite finished now except for radiator, electrics and prop shaft. The propshaft has been custommade and will arrive tomorrow.
I hope to have it running in 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by 4runner4ever

Unfortunately it is a non turbo. But it still has a lot more torque and horsepower than the s...y V6. Blown two headgaskets in one year. Just had it tuned (ported, headers,ignition etc.). Two weeks later the igniter failed: it's now a V5.
Instead of repairing it (i've got the head gaskets in stock!) I bought a supra at an auction for 600 euro (500 50$ I believe)without seeing it. It turned out to be a non turbo automatic with right hand driving.
So now I've got all necessary parts, except for the manual trans. I've used the R 150 gearcase from the '90 4Runner and fabricated my own bellhousing. I've ordered a clutch for the turbo supra and bought a used turboflywheel. Looks like I'm quite finished now except for radiator, electrics and prop shaft. The propshaft has been custommade and will arrive tomorrow.
cant wait to see that beast in action..... oh man.

make some vids and take some more pics and post away!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:01 AM

My 4runner was slow as crap. As I had put in my first post, my clutch would not hold more than 30% throttle and maxed out at 5psi before it would start to slip.

Oops, sorry, I never posted that here. That was another thread. But anyway, brand new clutch I had put in the day before, but the clutch was a dud.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by 4runner4ever

I've ordered a clutch for the turbo supra and bought a used turboflywheel. Looks like I'm quite finished now except for radiator, electrics and prop shaft. The propshaft has been custommade and will arrive tomorrow.
You sure that is going to work?

The turbo supra uses a pull style pressure plate, and requires the extra 30mm of room the supra belhousing and input shaft have over the R150.

I run a non-turbo flywheel and a non-turbo clutch because with my custom bellhousing, I cannot use the turbo setup.

Quick Reply: supra swap