Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supra MAF Custom Intake Pictures!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra MAF Custom Intake Pictures!!!

I had some folks wanting some pictures of this modification that I did today, but I can't remember who they were and what threads it was under, so that's the reason for this post. I'd say this is an unconventional way of doing things, but the fit was perfect. Any questions about anything, just let me know!

The pictures and comments can be found at www.works-cited.com/intakesystem.html

Chris
Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm... wow.

Chris, your enthusiasm is incredible. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

(edit: nevermind, it's in your profile. doh!)

Last edited by midiwall; 02-06-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
oh no..

Im sorry but to be totally honest, that looks terrible, ill email you a picture of my MAF and a chevy intake and you can see the difference,-- not that mine is pretty, but it looks more factory. by the way---dont you think that PVC pipe might not be the best thing to use since the intake must flex when starting, accellerating and deceleratiing? This could be where your having all your power problems too....

Tim
Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Duffdog
oh no..

Im sorry but to be totally honest, that looks terrible, ill email you a picture of my MAF and a chevy intake and you can see the difference,-- not that mine is pretty, but it looks more factory. by the way---dont you think that PVC pipe might not be the best thing to use since the intake must flex when starting, accellerating and deceleratiing? This could be where your having all your power problems too....

Tim
That's not cool.
Chris has taken a step to develop an inexpensive and less restrictive intake. I think it'll look pretty good with the Thermo-tec wrapped around it.
I think this is a great way to lower the intake air temperature. Especially since the intake tube sits right over the exhaust manifold.

I say, keep up the good work, Chris!

By the way, have you though about re-routing the intake to behind the bumper to allow more cold air in?
I have a K&N conical air filter if you need it. Let me know!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

One word comes to mind...MACGYVER!!!!

I would hate to see what you could come up with if you had some bubble gum, duct tape, and a paper clip!

Honestly, it looks really nice, way to take the initiative to try this!!!

Best of luck!!

Mike
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Chris, looks like a good intake. I have make may intakes for civic's, celicas, and my camry and maybe I can help. JCWhitney sells a mandrel bent steel pipe that you can buy. It is U shaped, which means you can (with some cutting) make it any shape. It comes in just about every ID size you can think of. By using steel it will make a smoother air path and if you put the thermal wrap on it, it will stay cooler than plastic.

But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, good job!
Old 02-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Chris,

Looks great to me! I defintely think its great that list members take the time to go step by step (with pics) through mods they have done. Keep em' coming!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:58 PM

That's kool. Did you notice any gains? I gotta try rig somethin up for mine too.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:34 PM

Looks cool. If you want some time I'll show you my custom intake using part of a MKIV's intercooler tubing. It's all black and looks semi-factory. I think you'll be ok as far as the engine shifting, I haven't had any problems.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:58 PM

Well hello to everyone!

I'm going to address everyone's responses so I don't miss anything, but at first glance, I'm very happy with all the responses.

Mpulver, I'm glad you were so dumbfounded with with the pure beauty of this intake!! Personally, I don't think it's an age factor at all, but that's just my opinion.

Duffdog, I'm glad to see you loved my design! Honestly, I think it looks gay too, but it's extremely functional in my opinion, and that's all I was considering while designing this. As far as looking more factory, I'm sure yours looks great and much closer to stock than mine does, but with me wrapping it with Thermo-tec, I could care less what the tubing looks like, as long as the inner walls are smooth, which they are perfect. As far as the flexing, that's why I left the rubber air intake hose connected to the throttly body, which should be enough.

Alan, I appreciate the first kind remarks on this thread. I've thought about doing something in front of the airbox, but haven't pursued it much. Any ideas?

Mike, i tried it because I didn't see many people running the Supra MAF and the modified intake the Dr. Z and other have been running. It may look really stupid, but I'm not into looks for my 4Runner, just function, and then if I become rich, then I'll make it look good.

SLCPunk, thanks for the kind remarks. As far as the metal piping, I thought about it, pursued it heavily with Muffler shops, custom tubing shops on the net, and found out it doesn't really fit my application well, because of the oversized tubing size, although I didn't find the JC Whitney stuff. But, I appreciate the help, though.

Thanks KC4Runner!

Brian,

Right now I soon found out that the signal coming from the Supra MAF is totally different, so right now the truck will only idle. I think it is running really lean, so I've been forced to buy a piggy-back computer real soon to get things back in line. So, the moral of the story is that don't do this modification (which I'm sure most won't after reading all these), unless you have a piggy-back computer. I did get it running decent, but it's still really lean, but it was pinging on 87 octane gas which it never did when I had the K&N FIPK on there. So, it's definitely breathing better, but this could also be because I'm not getting enough fuel to the engine.

Milan, thanks for the idea. I'd love to see pictures if you have them. Also, let's get together as soon as I get this thing back up and running again. Right now, it's a little sick!

Chris
Old 02-06-2003, 02:10 PM

Chris are you at work now, or at home?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:14 PM

At home, how about you?

Chris
Old 02-06-2003, 02:16 PM

At work, I was about to leave and was going to swing by if you were at the dealership.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:20 PM

Man, that would be sweet, but I'm at home! I'd meet you with the truck, but I don't really want to drive it. Would you be willing to drive to my house, which would be about another 10 minutes further? I'll buy you dinner if you're interested! My wife is working late, so it would work out good for me if you want!

Chris
Old 02-06-2003, 02:25 PM

Sure, give me a call 974-0701.