Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supra AFM in a what?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra AFM in a what?!?!

I am currently rebuilding my 22RE and was contemplating switching out my stock AFM for an '82 Supra AFM. From what I've read on these boards, it seems that it is "plug and play" without any modifications (correct me if I'm wrong). When I posted on www.celicasupra.com about it, the reply I got was as follows:

"although you might be able to do that (AE86s can swap in supra AFMs for example), its probaly not going to help anything. The flapper in the AFM is the real obstruction, and the afm for the supra will produce different voltages to your ecu which will likely make it run richer or leaner when cruising, neither of which are terriably beneficial"

Does this guy know what he's talking about or is the AFM swap a good idea to increase airflow to my beefed up 22RE? Anyone done the swap and have some "seat of the pants" results?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildcat_4R
I am currently rebuilding my 22RE and was contemplating switching out my stock AFM for an '82 Supra AFM. From what I've read on these boards, it seems that it is "plug and play" without any modifications (correct me if I'm wrong). When I posted on www.celicasupra.com about it, the reply I got was as follows:

"although you might be able to do that (AE86s can swap in supra AFMs for example), its probaly not going to help anything. The flapper in the AFM is the real obstruction, and the afm for the supra will produce different voltages to your ecu which will likely make it run richer or leaner when cruising, neither of which are terriably beneficial"

Does this guy know what he's talking about or is the AFM swap a good idea to increase airflow to my beefed up 22RE? Anyone done the swap and have some "seat of the pants" results?
Unless you have a 22RE with huge kahunas I am skeptical it will make a large noticeable difference because there is not much tension on the door for the AFM which would cause an air restriction. Almost all hot wire MAFs use a standard 0-5V output you need to measure what output the AFM gives the ECU and makes sure it is close to the same range (the ECU will compensate somewhat for different outputs). A Supra MAF may be a bit overkill for your situation unless you have a seriously beefed up 22RE.

Here's something that you might take a look at:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf
Old 03-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the reply and the link. That link is extremely helpful. Already learning a lot more. Anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 AM

I found a 82 Supra AFM at the junkyard.It is a plug in and play with no operational problems.You need to have a Cone filter to fit it and a larger diameter hose on the other to connect with the stock plastic inlet.I have my battery and AFM reversed so my AFM hose connection to throttle bore is shorter.Performance wise It does a difference in mid to WOT on the road.But then again the motor I have has a lot of modifications from Engnbldr and LCE parts.So go ahead and do it.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm considering this for my 3.0. Did you get any ponies from this mod?