Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Superchargers anyone

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchargers anyone

I was searching around on Google and found this. www.electricsupercharger.com/index.shtml
I can't wait to hear the responses on this one.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Best blower evar!

j/k if you can't tell.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

lame
Old 06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
....... I'll take 72.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is one of the only electric ones that actually do work (add maybe 1-2 psi max).
Do a search and you'll find it has been discussed quite a bit already.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

i still dont see how those things can work...a real supercharger is MASSIVE and steal driven by the motor to force air in. A turbo charge spins at 200,000 rpm sometimes glowing red hot compressing and forcing air in, compressing the air makes it hot so it has to run through an intercooler to cool it off.

Then you got this little plastic fan that spins 20k rpm
Old 06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
i still dont see how those things can work...a real supercharger is MASSIVE and steal driven by the motor to force air in. A turbo charge spins at 200,000 rpm sometimes glowing red hot compressing and forcing air in, compressing the air makes it hot so it has to run through an intercooler to cool it off.

Then you got this little plastic fan that spins 20k rpm
All superchargers are nothing more than giant air pumps, right?
You need to do work to compress air, right?

Look at the amps those motors are drawing...and multiply by volts to get power (ie ability to do work). The motors are not capable of doing enough work to generate as much pressure (at a given CFM) as a gear driven centrifical S/C or a turbo, but they do work on much the same principle. The fan blades also don't have to be made of metal because they don't get as hot nor spin as fast as S/C or turbos and thus the lower weight actually would increase efficiency. Electric motors can be built to deliver huge amounts of power and thus compete with the other options, but they would be heavy and draw far to many amps to be practical (very inefficient to convert work to electricity then electricity back to work again.....rather than just using a belt to drive the S/C system as most S/C's do). Also electric S/C are meant to be momentary, not always on, so that is yet another drawback.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-20-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 AM

weak sauce
Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

i agree that a turbo and superchargers are in fact air pumps. The turbo takes the air and compresses it through its "sea shell" design. A supercharger takes the air and compresses it through its spiral wheel design.

But this isnt an air pump...this is a fan. Both a turbo and superchage compress the air and force it into the engine with alot of force. This thing is like hooking a vacuum up the motor in reverse. It will never be able to compress the air above atmosphere pressures then force it into the engine.

There might be some sort of electric fan that can do this but its not gonna be a bilge pump for a boat and its gonna take extra power to make it work. I mean I could put my hand over that thing and stop its air flow.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
i agree that a turbo and superchargers are in fact air pumps. The turbo takes the air and compresses it through its "sea shell" design. A supercharger takes the air and compresses it through its spiral wheel design.

But this isnt an air pump...this is a fan. Both a turbo and superchage compress the air and force it into the engine with alot of force. This thing is like hooking a vacuum up the motor in reverse. It will never be able to compress the air above atmosphere pressures then force it into the engine.

There might be some sort of electric fan that can do this but its not gonna be a bilge pump for a boat and its gonna take extra power to make it work. I mean I could put my hand over that thing and stop its air flow.
Look at the specs on that thing.....57AMPs!.....so without going into pump design I guarantee it can compress a high volume of air to a small pressure above atmospheric. Do the math.....that is no bilge pump for sure!

Show me a bilge pump that will do this:
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/...eos/video3.mpg

and here is a shot of it actually creating 1 PSI boost:

I am not advocating this is a replacement for a S/C but this is about the only valid electric "supercharger" I have seen yet.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-20-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM

these things are more or less a ducted fan for a model airplane, the concept is good but the aplication is weak. i for one would like to have a hydracharger that Garrett was goin to make years back. or even a rotrex charger
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Just a small correction of definition here:

Turbochargers & superchargers &/or "blowers" are, in fact, "air compressors ", not "air pumps", that are used to increase volumetric air pressure &/or "density", not merely air speed.

It is this small, yet nonetheless monumental, distinction that is the cause of so much confusion & makes what is little more than a high rpm "fan" believable as a "supercharger". So please, don't be duped.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-20-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

hmmm well maybe you are right about the 1 psi. But I still have my doubts about how effectively it can deliver it into the engine.

A turbo and supercharger compress the air into a smaller space. Then when the engine use this its alot more air. This thing isnt gonna be compressing anything, its just blow air at the engine. Granted that will have its benefits I guess, like a ram air effect.

Even if it did give 1 psi to a 3.4 say. That would be like 5-8 hp. Just doing crappy math considering the TRD supercharger gives 5-6 psi (i could be wrong) and gains are about 40 at the crank.

Plus its power thats activated by a micro switch under the pedal that activates at full throttle (ghetto?).

57 amps?...a had a sub amp in my old car that used more then that. What are the wipers like 30 amp?

I dunno. Might work for someone but there webpage is full of garbage. Like saying headlights use more amperage, I guess if you had 20 hella lights mounted one front.

Oh and the dyno charts are my favorite. Obvisiously you can only run this thing at full throttle. Thats even what they say. But on the dyno results it shows gains across the chart, all about the same. So that either means the charts are fake. Or the increase in HP is from the modified intake, and even when the fan comes on at full throttle there is ZERO difference....
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94x4
Just a small correction of definition here:

Turbochargers & superchargers &/or "blowers" are, in fact, "air compressors ", not "air pumps", that are used to increase volumetric air pressure &/or "density", not merely air speed.

It is this small, yet nonetheless monumental, distinction that is the cause of so much confusion & makes what is little more than a high rpm "fan" believable as a "supercharger". So please, don't be duped.
pump n. - # A machine or device for raising, compressing, or transferring fluids and/or gases.

compressor n. - A pump or other machine that increases the pressure of a gas.

Last edited by CynicX; 06-20-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM

"compressor n. - A pump or other machine that increases the pressure of a gas."

The "gas" in this case would be "air."

I am speaking of "compressor" as in "turbo" or "blower", both of which are "gas" and/or "air" compressors, not as in the usage of a "pump" to increase the volumetric pressure of a liquid like, say, water.

Your "pump" definition is too generalized and/or not on topic. No offense, just a heads up.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-20-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94x4
"compressor n. - A pump or other machine that increases the pressure of a gas."

The "gas" in this case would be "air."

I am speaking of "compressor" as in "turbo" or "blower", both of which are "gas" &/or "air" compressors.

i gotcha, i was just stating that a pump is a device used for compressing air....in essense an air pump is an air compressor. Since the definations of pump and compressor are virtually the same and even use the others name in its defination. This is why everyone calls a turbo or supercharger an air pump. And a air compressor used in a garage is a tank with an air pump mounted on it.

Regardless I wouldnt buy this electric supercharger and expect any noticable power increase....

Last edited by CynicX; 06-20-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Nor would I, CynicX & that's what I'm trying to get across to everyone here, although I might have waxed a little too technical with my explanation.

Heads up to one and all, I hope you've paid attention.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet that 1 psi was with the thottle blade closed. And if that's the case, when the throttle is opened you will have almost no boost. I ran a Powerdyne supercharger for 5 years on my 93 Z28 and that was only 4.5 lbs of boost but it took some pretty strong components to generate even that boost. I can't see an electric fan with plastic blades doing much. And boost numbers don't mean much without talking about the engine you're boosting. A supercharger generating 4.5 lbs of boost on a 350 would be a lot different on a 2.4 4 cyl engine. I would never waste time or money on these electric fans. They probably wreak havoc on your electrical and charging systems as well. Get a flux capacitor instead!