Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger Upgrades?

Hello everyone. I own a supercharged 1998 4runner. I installed the supercharger due to the lack of adequate power in the non-aspirated v6 but did not realize all of the other upgrades that are necessary to allow the vehicle to run properly. I know from reading Gadget's web page that the ideal set up would include new injectors, Apex SAFC, FMU and BAP. However, due to budget constraints I can not afford all of those upgrades at the same time. I believe my vehicle is running lean and has a noticable drop in power in the higher rpm ranges and upon hard acceleration. Is it possible to address this lean fuel mixture issue in stages? I was considering starting with a BAP and free FMU and than later adding bigger injectors and the APEX SAFC. Will the BAP free FMU alone improve my situation? Thank you for your advice, given the cost of newer SUVs these days I want to keep my 4runner for a long time.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:30 AM

Actually, Gadget recommends the following 2 setups:

1) Split Second FTC1-E piggy-back computer
2) 305cc injectors
3) 190 LPH Fuel pump
4) The Free FMU should already be hooked up if you have a 2nd gen S/C that you bought recently. It's actually in the installation directions now.

The other setup he might recommends now is:

1) Unichip - he can reprogram his, because he has the developers kit. Otherwise you have to have someone else do it for you after each mod, which would suck.

The rest is the same for the second setup.

If your budget is tight right now, I would go with either the 190 LPH or 190 LPH high pressure Walbro fuel pump and the SMT-6 piggy-back computer. This will allow to adjust timing advance and retard, adjust your fuel control, and help to minimize your lean out situation in upper RPM's.

Chris
Old 09-01-2003, 11:13 AM

Chris,

Thank you for your advice. I will definetely purchase the Walbro fuel pump as suggested, where would you recommend purchasing? Is the SMT-6 piggy-back computer typically used with the stock injectors? Does it provide meaningful improvement without an injector upgrade?

Robert
Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 PM

The walbro fuel pump needs to be purchased here: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

The Perfect Power SMT-6 would be of benefit to you because you can retard and advance the timing anywhere you'd like, and you can maximize the fuel curve to help with the leaning out condition you are getting at the upper RPM's.

Chris

P.S. I decided to go with the high pressure 190 LPH fuel pump this time around instead of the regular 190 LPH fuel pump. The reason is that I'm hoping to be able to tune during closed loop (lambda) and still be okay while in open loop. Plus I'm hoping to have a water injection system and a smaller pulley to increase the HP, ad as a result need more fuel.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chris,

Did the walbro mount exactly the same as the original OEM or did you need to modify anything on install?
I remember reading something about that on gadget's site.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:03 PM

The only slight modification you have to do is shorten the metal tube in the tank. I don't know how else to describe it, but you'll know what I mean when you take it apart. It's very easy to do if you have small pipe cutter.

Chris
Old 09-01-2003, 03:45 PM

If you can be a tad patient, I am putting together a bundle package with every single thing to make your truck run perfect at a price that will be much cheaper then if you bought them separately.

All the componants are sourced except for the injectors. I thought I had a line on those, but it did not pan out. I have something in the works with two other importers and should have something finalized by the end of the week, I hope.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gadget
If you can be a tad patient, I am putting together a bundle package with every single thing to make your truck run perfect at a price that will be much cheaper then if you bought them separately.

All the componants are sourced except for the injectors. I thought I had a line on those, but it did not pan out. I have something in the works with two other importers and should have something finalized by the end of the week, I hope.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Please let us know when you have that ready....I could go for a kit myself!
Old 09-01-2003, 04:28 PM

Great news on the upgrade package, I just ordered the fuel pump so I intend to install that this weekend and can wait awhile for the other components.

Everyone - Thank you for all the feedback.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Gadget,

I'm really interested in your kit for the supercharger. Please keep me up to date if you can.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Put me on the list for the kit!!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:52 AM

You guys don't even know the details or prices yet! Such faith in old Gadget! I love it!

Chris
Old 09-02-2003, 01:19 PM

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
you KNOW i'd be very interested in a device that allows me to monitor the WB AFR signal on the new trucks . . . .

i'm interested in what piggyback you are choosing to go with as well.

creed
Old 10-04-2003, 09:10 AM

Gadget, did you ever get those "bundle packages" together for Supercharger applications?

I'm dying to get going on modding and upgrading my 99 S/C. It's running a bit lean at higher rpm's.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2003, 09:16 AM

We are doing final testing on it this weekend. I expect we will be taking orders toward the end of next week. It is all really coming together now. MTF...

I do appreciate everyones interest!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-04-2003, 06:53 PM

You da' man when it comes to performance on this board. I think I can speak for everyone on the board in reference to the respect and appreciation we have for all the time you've put into modding your 4runners for our benefit.

Chris