Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger Tips?

I've searched and found quite a bit of information with regards to the TRD supercharger, mainly from Gadget's site. But, I was wondering if anyone else out there had installed their own supercharger and had any installation tips, such as tools needed for the job, other parts that I should definitely purchase before I attack the installation, and any other tricks of the trade that may be useful.

I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I jump in and try installing this thing. I've already got the supercharger and bigger fuel pump per Gadget's recommendation. I'm lacking the larger injectors, and SS FTC1-E and ARM1. That's all I know so far. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-02-2003, 07:35 PM

Chris, I myself, lacking in the supercharger dept. cannot give you detailed advice, however I can tell you to search this forum's topics on superchargers and I am sure you will find alot of the info you are looking for. What your asking has been discussed many times over many moons.

Best of luck!

(If your finding installation stressfull I will take the S/C off your hands, and even pay you the shipping charges!)
Old 01-02-2003, 07:55 PM

Theres really not too much to consider...the only thing that even slowed me down was that you completely lose the hard vacuum lines on the top of the factory plenum, and you re-route the vac. lines to the SC...the diagram is in the back of the instruction manual. I'd say the install is extremely straightforward, I can' remember needing any special tools. Gadget's sight has pretty much everything you'll need to know about the SC.

Have fun!
Old 01-03-2003, 06:24 AM

Thanks guys,

I'll take a look at the search function on the forum. Thanks!

Chris
Old 01-03-2003, 08:19 AM

6 point sockets

Chris,

The only advice I can offer is to use 6 point sockets. I replaced my nose drive (70,000 miles on my SC). I grabbed my trusty Craftsman socket set which have 20 points or whatever. More points makes it easier to slide the socket onto the bolt, but increases the chances of slipping due to the lack of "flat" areas to grip the bolt head.

I've always worked on my dirtbikes, lawnmowers, etc and this never occurred to me until I read the instructions on the nose drive, ignored the note about 6 point sockets, and almost stripped the worst possible bolt.

Just food for thought.

Mike
Old 01-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

My suggestions....

I used the long handle from my 1/2 socket set to break loose some of the bolts that you need to loosen to remove the belts. I always seem to bash my hand into something when they let loose otherwise and these seemed to be really tight. I also used it with an adapter to 3/8 to pull on the tensioner when installing the SC belt. (I'm a wimp and my 3/8 handle is short.)

The adjuster bolt for the power steering pump seemed to be really nasty to get to. The manual says something about an angled ratchet wrench (not sure I remember their words right or what they were talking about) to get to it. I couldn't get a socket in there and used a wrench I have sort of like a closed-end wrench that has a ratcheting mechanism, but that was marginal. I couldn't seem to see it and reach it at the same time and reaching it all was tough - maybe longer arms would work better.

The instructions said to set the alternator to half of its adjustment travel as I recall before installing the SC belt. I thought I had it right, but there was no way I could get the belt on, so I had to move it inward.

I forgot about the additional sheet that says to connect one of the hoses in the back before installing the SC. It was a pain to get to, so don't forget. I also bought about 18" of additional vacuum hose (5/16 I think) to go from the evap(?) canister on the drivers side fender and the SC so I didn't reuse the existing hose with lots of premade bends in it - I just thought that would be cleaner.

Last thing I recall is that I thought the sparkplug wires were going to be stretched pretty tight if I followed their instructions for routing them under the nose of the SC. I ended up removing two additional clips from where they clip on the plastic cover (to the left of where you cut it away) but leaving them hooked to the wires to give more slack. I haven't figured out a revised mounting method yet to clip them onto something.

If you tend to drop bolts (I dropped one), a magnetic retrieval tool might be handy in case you drop something down where its akward to get.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:39 PM

Awesome comments guys! I really appreciate the help! Any others?

Thanks again,

Chris