Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger and Throttle by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger and Throttle by wire?

I was doing some more reading up and found quite a few people over on TTORA had their APPS sensors go bad on the throttle by wire throttle bodies after installing superchargers. I did a search here and didn't find much information. Is this something to be concerned about or ? It seems if this part goes bad, that even though it's simply "part" of the TB that you have to buy a whole new TB to replace it and the TB costs like $900.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM

No one? Is anyone here running the SC on a throttle by wire model 4Runner (2002 models are the only ones I think).

Here are the threads:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...rottle+Wire%22

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...rottle+By+Wire

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=13283
Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you need to read those threads closer. There's clear evidence there that the problem is a faulty design of the TB and it has nothing to do with the SC.

The only _fringe_ data is that the added heat from the SC could be aggravating the issue and causing it to show up sooner than later, but it's not the primary cause.

btw... that diagnosis of the throttle cable angle being off and/or too tight is SO lame. I HATE {most} dealer techs.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
I think you need to read those threads closer. There's clear evidence there that the problem is a faulty design of the TB and it has nothing to do with the SC.

The only _fringe_ data is that the added heat from the SC could be aggravating the issue and causing it to show up sooner than later, but it's not the primary cause.

btw... that diagnosis of the throttle cable angle being off and/or too tight is SO lame. I HATE {most} dealer techs.
I agree that the design is bad. It just seems that people who put the SC on have the issue pretty quickly. I've got 63K on my NA 4Runner and no issue deducing that the SC really speeds up the issue. I'm sure you didn't read ALL the posts on it, but it seems some are doing a coolant bypass on the TB to keep it cooler. What is the purpose of putting coolant through the TB in the first place?

I've also thought I could drill holes in my scoop to make it flow cool air into th engine bay to help as well. I just gotta figure out some kind of ramp or trap to keep dirt and water from getting in.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy
I agree that the design is bad. It just seems that people who put the SC on have the issue pretty quickly. I've got 63K on my NA 4Runner and no issue deducing that the SC really speeds up the issue. I'm sure you didn't read ALL the posts on it, but it seems some are doing a coolant bypass on the TB to keep it cooler. What is the purpose of putting coolant through the TB in the first place?
I read about 1/2 of the posts in the 3 threads.. and skimmed the rest.

Coolant is stuffed through the TB to actually help HEAT it in cold weather. When it's -20*, you want some "carb heat" (to borrow an airplane term) to make things run smoother.

As to if it will affect you or not, it depends on where you live... Down in Nashville you probably won't see much of a difference. If you're up in MN, NB, AK, etc... things could be weird on the winter mornings.

I've also thought I could drill holes in my scoop to make it flow cool air into th engine bay to help as well. I just gotta figure out some kind of ramp or trap to keep dirt and water from getting in.
Well, I just went through this with my rig. I ended up installing a rear-facing scoop, and it DOES help.

I have a HUGE issue with heatsoak on the trail. After a couple of hours of driving in June-August and I've EASILY lost 75+ horsepower.

I looked at a number of things to alleviate this, and decided on a rear-facing scoop for a couple of reasons. a) much less drag at speed (and I do drive fast); b) forcing air INTO the engine compartment creates a situation where you're trying to PUSH the hot air out the bottom; c) a continuation of "b" - hot air naturally rises, which creates convection cooling; d) it's different than what everyone else does.

Even though it's only late March, and the scoop has been on for only 2 days, I can EASILY tell a difference in under-hood temps.

I figure you have the sport hood though, and thus you don't want to swap hoods - you're kinda' locked into using that one. In that case, _yes_, opening up the scoop will help. I wouldn't drill holes though - air pressure at speed will cause it to whistle. Pull the scoop off and do it right. Get a Dremel and completely open up the front of the scoop.

You may also want to look at adding louvers on the hood to let that heat out on it's own.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

You may also want to look at adding louvers on the hood to let that heat out on it's own.
Just thought I would throw this out there, while I have no experience with underhood temps on our trucks, I do with BMW's. Specifically supercharged E36's. By simply removing the gasket at the rear of the engine bay(near the windshield), I was able to get my underhood temps close to the guys that had louvered hoods. Very simple and very inexpensive trick to get the air to flow better.

Hope that helps...
Old 03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mtriple
Just thought I would throw this out there, while I have no experience with underhood temps on our trucks, I do with BMW's. Specifically supercharged E36's. By simply removing the gasket at the rear of the engine bay(near the windshield), I was able to get my underhood temps close to the guys that had louvered hoods. Very simple and very inexpensive trick to get the air to flow better.

Hope that helps...

Very cool idea, I may have to try that...

My plan to avoid heat soak is opening up the scoop, and wedging a small electric fan in it that purposely blows cool air on the supercharger/upper intake. I'm hoping that paired with hevy-duty electric fan to replace the mechanical one should help under-hood temps.

Last edited by mastacox; 03-29-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope that helps...
Good idea! I had seen a guy once that had raised the whole back of the hood up with a stacks of washers between the hood and hood mounting brackets, but it wasn't pretty.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:41 PM

I'm running a SC'd 02 - I haven't seen any throttle problems in over 3 years and 30k miles - I don't understand where the problem is I wouldn't have known it is tbw - i still see the cable to the tb just like in my 91. Anyways... no issue running the sc on an 02. Now having the trd 7th..... there are some issues... I'll be talking with Gadget and probably pm'ing you Mark ... I know there has to be more under the hood than what I'm getting. Its just going to take more $$$$
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob
...and probably pm'ing you Mark
uh-oh... time to change my name.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 AM

I did some more checking on this and e-mailed URD since they'd probably have seen the largest sample of trucks. Gadget e-mailed me back and said it's 50/50 NA vs. SC'd. So it looks like it's just a random thing. I will say that all I've found that failed were 03' Tacomas.

I'm gonna quit with all this crap as I'm giving myself an ulcer over a dern supercharger upgrade. I'm just gonna get it done and move on.

I'll start a new single thread on my progress with the rest of the question I may have during the install or tuning process. Gauges will go in first and I should get started in a couple weeks with the rest. Gonna go with the URD 7th.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna quit with all this crap as I'm giving myself an ulcer over a dern supercharger upgrade. I'm just gonna get it done and move on.
You're doing some good research for sure. You should be a wealth of knowledge by the time you're done.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You're doing some good research for sure. You should be a wealth of knowledge by the time you're done.
That's the way I do everything. It's a blessing and a curse. Have you looked at the website I run for my motorcycle? That's 2 years of research and counting right there. Although some good came of it, I'm sponsored by Repsol Lubricants now and they've hooked me up with race tickets, hospitality passes to meet the racers, etc so it's worked out well.

www.hooliganbiketech.net
Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the throttle going bad on yours after installing the S/C.
There may have been a few cases, but they are the exception, not the rule.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Have you looked at the website I run for my motorcycle? www.hooliganbiketech.net
Oh, I hadn't seen that before. So they make sliders for bikes too huh
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Oh, I hadn't seen that before. So they make sliders for bikes too huh
Hahah, yeah, I just hope I never need to use them!

The "Dyno Run" pages would probably be of most interest to you guys. I got 157 RWHP out of that bike with some mods and tuning and got the weight down to around 385 dry.

Last edited by Speedy; 03-30-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Now I see why you go by Speedy It's not just the fast the lawn mower after all.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 AM

I did some more checking on this and e-mailed URD since they'd probably have seen the largest sample of trucks. Gadget e-mailed me back and said it's 50/50 NA vs. SC'd.
fwiw, Gadget was all over one of those threads you pointed at saying the same thing 2 years ago.

Nice work on the bike!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hope that helps...
I was looking at that rubber strip today, do you think there'd be much problem with water running down the firewall when it rains or washing the truck? It does look like a good little crack for air flow.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM

fwiw, Gadget was all over one of those threads you pointed at saying the same thing 2 years ago.

Nice work on the bike!

I knew Gadget had said that a while back, but like you said that was 2 years ago and things can change as more samples get in. You'd think Toyota would have been forced to have a TSB on it by now.

TRD even knew about it when I called them. They eluded to Toyota having "special programs" for things like that, but stated that didn't necessarily mean it was a free repair.