Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

super cheap Lowfat tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dirt on super cheap tires

Hey guys just got tires and the dirt on them

31 x 11.5 Futura Dakota RVT for $85 or roughly $410 installed they are decent looking All Terrains OEM from Cooper tires. Put them on my 15x10 extreme alloys. They also have a decent looking Mud terrain for $89 in a 31x10.5

Bought them at Pepboys as Im too broke to buy BFG AT's

The Install sucked and they even scratched and dented my rims by thier terrible shoddy work. I'm even contemplating not going back for rotations as they are incompetent. I took my vehicle out before they even had a chance to do a $59 alignment. As golem woud say my poor PRECIOUS rims that is:cry: :cry:

The new tires grip better than the old BFG AT's I had on. How ever I'm now 1 inch wider and 70% more tread as my tires were worn. Is there anyone else using these tire or tire made by Cooper.

Some one told me there are basically 6 big tire company that makes all of the tire and just puts different logo on them. I thought the $85 Futura I got looked alot like a $125.21 Procomp AT. Golly gee Batman thats a $40 markup per tire on slight variations

Check out this sit it lists all of the Cooper made tires
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/cooptire.html

Dont worry about the super cheap tires just the installers

Peace, good luck and smart shopping Big Kahuna

Last edited by bigKahuna; 01-09-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:54 AM

I had those tires on my tacoma and hated them. They sucked on wet payment. I slid all over the place, and they didn't do too well in snow either. I have the BFG AT/KO's and I can tell a world of a difference.

As far as PepBoys work goes, it sucks here at their KY store too. I bought rims too when I got those tires, and they put the wrong size lug nuts on one tire, and they also couldn't balance them properly. Took it to Tire Discounters, and they were the ones to inform me about the lug nuts being the wrong size and thow the threads were ruined. I went back to PepBoys with 3 lug nuts on my front pass. tire, made a big seen b/c they said it wasn't their fault, and about an hour lately they finally fixed it. I'll never have work done there no matter what.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The similarities between your Futuras and the Pro Comps are just that, only similarities.

The Pro Comps are different compound and have different, better cleaning tread. Additionally, the Pro Comps have different weight ratings and tread depths, so they couldn't be the same tire.

Those Futuras are definitely a cheap deal, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for, I'll pay the extra to know I'm getting something worth owning.

BFG AT KO for me...
Old 01-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Well, hey I say good job finding a tire to fit your budget man. Not everyone has $800 to throw into some BFG's. I personally am saving and waiting for some BFG's, but it's better to get cheaper tires that have tread than to drive around on bald tires. It's better than putting them on a card and getting yourself into debt which I know some people around here do. Just my $.02
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 AM

yeah, but it you get a slightly used set for 300...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:57 PM

Actually i got my BFG's for $497 installed with lifetime alignment and rotation and they had the promotional camping set to throw in as well (two chairs a gas grill a table and a cooler). They were 32x11.50. Just keep looking in your local newspaper for killer deals.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad that you are happy with your new tires, I know the feeling. However as they say, "Your tires are the only part of your car that touches the road", so why hold back eh?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:47 PM

"Your tires are the only part of your car that touches the road"
That is SOOO true!
Years ago my father had 2 sets of Uniroyals (2 different cars). Out of the 8 tires, 6, that's right SIX of them had tread seperation problems!
Only Bridgestone or Michelin for him now.

Futura's are a Pepboys only brand, don't know about their stuff.
I have heard many stories about their install practices from a former employee of theirs, including installing directional tires backwards . Not encouraging.
For those on the east coast, BJ's Wholesale has 31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's for $114 installed
They are running a $10 off each tire coupon until the 16th so that brings it down to $104 (plus tax) installed per tire.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

I have the bfg at/ko's and are highly impressed with them, would recommend them to anyone.

Originally posted by nees1212

As far as PepBoys work goes, it sucks here at their KY store too. I bought rims too when I got those tires, and they put the wrong size lug nuts on one tire, and they also couldn't balance them properly. Took it to Tire Discounters, and they were the ones to inform me about the lug nuts being the wrong size and thow the threads were ruined. I went back to PepBoys with 3 lug nuts on my front pass. tire, made a big seen b/c they said it wasn't their fault, and about an hour lately they finally fixed it. I'll never have work done there no matter what.
If your talking about the store here in louisville that is in the east end near st.mathews mall, I will never go there to get anything. I learned my lesson when my dad bought my parts to change my timing chain, we had to go back up there 3 times. The 3rd time I was looking for a timing light. I didn't see one in any of the aisles, so I asked a mid 20s guy behind the counter where they had them. His exact words were "What's a timing light?" I told him nevermind I would go to a better autoparts store. They are more focused on the fast and the furious type crowd from what I can tell when I was in there last, about a year and a half ago.

Last edited by Krash; 01-09-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Krash
I have the bfg at/ko's and are highly impressed with them, would recommend them to anyone.

If your talking about the store here in louisville that is in the east end near st.mathews mall, I will never go there to get anything. I learned my lesson when my dad bought my parts to change my timing chain, we had to go back up there 3 times. The 3rd time I was looking for a timing light. I didn't see one in any of the aisles, so I asked a mid 20s guy behind the counter where they had them. His exact words were "What's a timing light?" I told him nevermind I would go to a better autoparts store. They are more focused on the fast and the furious type crowd from what I can tell when I was in there last, about a year and a half ago.
i was talking about the store in Florence...but still is a crappy place...i also called there a couple weeks ago asking if they took used antifreeze...they guy said they did along with oil...i went up about an hour later to drop of some used antifreeze, and they guy said they don't take it....i told him i had just called and i was told they took it....he said i must have screwed up places that i called...they were the only place i called....i will never order or have any work done by them ever again....
Old 01-09-2004, 08:24 PM

Gets better...

Well I went back to complained about the scratches on the rim and the manager was apologetic and indicated that he would pay for the damages caused by the shoddy work. They immediatly refunded me $103 to get the lip of the rims polished I took the refund and went to another store and got some Mothers aluminum polish and took care of them myself with a little elbow grease and polish. None the less it was a pain in the a#$ and I have better thing to do with my time.

Total cost =$307 for 4 tires thats Roughly $76 each
2 hour of Bitc%&G and complaining
1 hour Polishing
and lesson learned Pep Boys SUCKS
and by the way the tires work great... went through light 8in mud with no problems they even cleaned out well

Tires can matter however nothing beats a good spotter and driver
as I'm Neither. HAHAHAHAHAAA Ive seen a Yota with cheap bald Kelly tires go places others couldn't go (You know who are now dont get a big head)

Peace to all and happy holidays Big Kahuna

PS. Heading to Hollister tomorrow let you know tomorrow evening how they worked. whoooohooooo