Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Super Chargers Are Over Rated

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Chargers Are Over Rated

Super chargers are a fairly easy mod but expensenve and they take power to make power, also there is a lot of horror stories out there with the trd's. If your going to spend that money look into the cost of putting a turbo on your truck it really not that hard esp. on 4cyls and it takes no power to make power. If you need some help we have a shop installing turbos, and my buddy rebuilds them.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by dwh91102
it takes no power to make power..
They certainly don't power themselves. The added back pressure (turbo lag) to power the turbo isn't very kind to already underpowered engines and can be quite annoying IMHO.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Its all about the size of the turbo and type
Old 12-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

just wondering... where did this thought come from? i just ask cuz i noticed that you've posted a total of 4 posts and none of which shows that you have a FI system on your rig.

personally i think it all depends on how you plan to use your application. since the sc doesn't have any lag compared to the turbo i would think that the sc would be a better application for some scenarios. FI's either way is a two way street as there are both pros and cons for each application.

To each their own (go nos! hahah more chaos...)
Old 12-10-2004, 10:51 PM

Must agree with Goodtimes, kind of a wierd thread, to start a post to not recommend something... Am I mising something?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by firemedic
Am I mising something?
Only the shameless plea for business.

Originally Posted by dwh91102
If you need some help we have a shop installing turbos, and my buddy rebuilds them.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 12-10-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:28 AM

I'd still go with TRD before I get some custom turbo setup from some shop. Total cost installed $4400. How much for a turbo setup installed, tuned, and warranted to 60,000 miles?

Pitchar
Old 12-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My SC was WAYYYYYY less than $4400. WAY less. Like 1/8th that.

Why would I want a turbo that puts out HP in high RPM range when my SC puts out TORQUE in the lower RPM's where my engine operates offroad.

If you would have come into this msg board with a respectable into announcing that you have an alternative to the TRD SC, then maybe, just maybe would anyone take you seriously. However, you come in as a noob, posting your unfounded garbage about the TRD SC, not even listing the engine that you're referring to. That just cost you your reputation and any potential business you COULD POSSIBLY have received from this board's 8000+ members.

Last edited by bamachem; 12-11-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 AM

That's a matter of opinion. I've had both. I like my supercharger much better especially for off-road use. I like the instant power. I like the fact that I can put Dodge hemi's to shame with a 4x4 V6 with a full 60,000 mile factory warranty and get 22 miles to the gallon doing it. If you or one of your friends paid 4400 for your supercharger even with fuel mods--you or they got reamed! Don't look for any turbo business from me.

Dave
Old 12-11-2004, 07:16 AM

I figure the one of the best ways to make power if by keeping the air coming into the engine cool, right? Well.....I didn't want to spend the time working on some "cool-air" intake mumbo-jumbo, so I just pack my engine bay with cubed ice. Sure, it only lasts like 10 minutes or so before it melts, but man.....what a difference. Best part is, it takes no power to make power, you know?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 AM

Old 12-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Superchargers are better off-road. The TRD supercharger features almost no lag and delivers full boost at only 1800 RPM. Sometimes that can be a bad thing off-road, too. All that torque dumping out at one time.

As cool as a turbo would be (and sound), for most of us on this forum, it's just not cost effective/practical/cool enough/easy. Besides, I like the looks I get when I blow the doors of the fart-canned SI as the supercharger is screaming. For some reason, blowing the doors off a SI with a N/A Camry just isn't as cool
Old 12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ontos
I figure the one of the best ways to make power if by keeping the air coming into the engine cool, right? Well.....I didn't want to spend the time working on some "cool-air" intake mumbo-jumbo, so I just pack my engine bay with cubed ice. Sure, it only lasts like 10 minutes or so before it melts, but man.....what a difference. Best part is, it takes no power to make power, you know?
I'm thinkin' about the 30L Dewar flask at school, liquid N2 and a little cold air intake experiment.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:10 AM

let's just cut to the chase. the power curve of the internal cumbustion(sp) engine is lacking. we all know it. i'm tired of fustering around with gadets to make it work better.....i'm going nuclear! or as GW says....... nucular
Old 12-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

I've never heard a "horror story" related to the TRD superchargers. Not one. And if there were any major issues, you can bet they'd be discussed here.

Take your turbo-pimpin' somewhere else n00b, try adding something of value to the forum before trying to get money from it.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Turbos are great for high end power and SC's are great for low RPM power and they cannot overboost period unlike a turbo can if wastegate efficiency is overrun.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:09 PM

I noticed none of you have 4th gen trucks. If you can get a supercharger plus installation on a 4th gen for $550 (1/8th what I paid), then I did pay too much.

Pitchar
Old 12-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by HaveBlue
As cool as a turbo would be (and sound), for most of us on this forum, it's just not cost effective/practical/cool enough/easy. Besides, I like the looks I get when I blow the doors of the fart-canned SI as the supercharger is screaming. For some reason, blowing the doors off a SI with a N/A Camry just isn't as cool
How does it compare to you blowing the doors off when you're on a bad date?
Old 12-11-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenLover
They certainly don't power themselves. The added back pressure (turbo lag) to power the turbo isn't very kind to already underpowered engines and can be quite annoying IMHO.
Actually you will only have backpressure if you use the incorrect exhaust turbine and housing. If you select properly there will be NO back pressure in comparision to your stock exhaust. Back pressure is not turbo lag, turbo lag is the time it takes the turbo to spool up. Totally different concepts....
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Turbos are great for high end power and SC's are great for low RPM power and they cannot overboost period unlike a turbo can if wastegate efficiency is overrun.
'wastegate efficiency is overrun"

perhaps you'd like to explain THAT one....lol

Overspooling the compressor again falls into the realm of proper waste gate selection and turbine selection. If you are running a T04 76p trim turbine in a .84 a/r turbine housing and a T04e-60 then common sense is going to dictate you not run a damn 20mm wastegate....

Secondarily to save your engine, if a chimp picks your wastegate size, your BOV is not going to allow any more than a certain level of boost period!

The negative cons you are citing against turbos are the SAME cons that are going to hold true if you try to run a top fuel dragsters' blower on your 5vze. Hell even an 871... 180hp isnt going to tickle either superchargers... Or if you tried to run a supercharger meant for a d18, the supercharger is going to be an obstruction.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-11-2004 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Super Chargers Are Over Rated