Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

suggestions for 1st time offroading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions for 1st time offroading?

i'm bringing the 4runner offroad for it's first time ever this weekend. this is ALSO MY first time offroading. i'm going with 3 roommates. 2 have 77 chevy's and 1 has a zr2 blazer. now, i don't need to run circles around them to "impress" them, but i'd like to be able to keep up with them so i don't get ripped on hardcore. and i DEFINITELY don't want to get stuck. so, any last minute suggestions? (oh, we're going on 100% sanddunes, and my truck info is in my signature)
Old 05-26-2004, 09:22 PM

getting stuck is half the fun!
I'm a mud/hills/creek man myself, never experienced sand, but good luck, and just remember, GO SLOW! No need to break anything. Bring recovery equipment (doubt you'll need it) and if you do get stuck, don't let your friends talk you into doing something dumb like yanking you out by your bumper.
I'll also be interested in how the bfgoodies do in the sand, i've never taken mine on anythign but mud and a few rocks. You'll probably want to air them down to at most 20 psi, dont' go below 10-12 though. Hopefully one of your buddies will have air.

Most importantly though...
GET PICS!!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:29 PM

well, just yesterday and today i finished getting it ready for the dunes. i finished getting my hitch put on, in case i need to pull (or be pulled) out, there's 2 points to hook a tow strap to in the front which are now secured, and i bought a good tow strap and fire extinguisher just in case. (i mounted the fire extinguisher on the roll bar. it looks pretty cool). my buddies are experts at the dunes (they're hillbillies) and i know they won't purposely screw me over. they'll know exactly what to air down to and the place we're going to (silver lake, michigan) is a VERY popular offroading spot and there are gas stations all over the place with air compressors so i can get air easily when i'm done. i'm definitely planning on bringing the camera and the video camera!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoung101
i'm bringing the 4runner offroad for it's first time ever this weekend. this is ALSO MY first time offroading. i'm going with 3 roommates. 2 have 77 chevy's and 1 has a zr2 blazer. now, i don't need to run circles around them to "impress" them, but i'd like to be able to keep up with them so i don't get ripped on hardcore. and i DEFINITELY don't want to get stuck. so, any last minute suggestions? (oh, we're going on 100% sanddunes, and my truck info is in my signature)
You're going to have a pretty tough time "keeping up" since they have one thing that REALLY helps in sand: bigger motors. However, just air down. With 31's, depending on the sand consistency, 10 psi should be plenty. Lower pressures help floatation and effectively lower your gear ratio.

You might want to leave the removeable top at home. Saves weight.

Bring a tow strap, shovel, portable air compressor (cigarette lighter type) to at least get you up to 18 psi or enough to get to some place you can air up the rest of the way. Don't forget food and related goodies but I'm sure you're on that. Make them bring tools and other heavy stuff.

I doubt you'll have any issues getting up the dunes, you just won't go as fast. On even moderately steep ones, you'll need to use 4 low unless you can get a healthy running start. Experiment with a few dunes to find your trucks limitations. If you bog down on the way up, that's a good way to get stuck. You want to know when you need low range and when you don't.

Watch out for razor backs!!! Make them go first. A razor back is like a cliff, you go off it and can find yourself slamming into the upside of another dune. It can hurt you and your truck. (look before you leap)

If they rip on you, take them on a trail run where your truck has the advantage. You can build yours into sand truck if you find it's what you're into but different trucks have different strengths. Sand favors big motors, big tires, and some serious right foot. Trails favor smaller trucks, bigger tires, but much much more right foot finese. When money allows you might say build your motor to be a revv'er and gear it good and low so you can pull some tire in the sand as speed.

Have fun!

Frank
Old 05-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

I usually go down to about 12 psi on sand. If you get stuck, you can go down to 8psi or lower. Just don't take sharp turns at high speed to avoid rolling the bead off.

If your buddies don't have a powertank then use a ratchet strap around the tire to force the bead to contact the rim. Then a decent air compressure should be able to seat it.

When you bog down trying to climb a hill, DO NOT get sideways, you'll roll. Just put it in reverse and roll backwards.

I have to use 4low the whole time, otherwise the hamsters in my 3.0 get tired and can't turn the tires.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Definetly put the tire pressure down... Thats a biggie.

I had an '89 stock 4runner for 8 years, and the first gen's are awesome for offroading. They are great for sand dunes because they are so light and wont sink as easy as say a fullsize truck.

Another thing is dont stop in the deep sand areas!! This will cause you to get stuck. Keep the momentum up thru the deep crap.

Lastly, if you DO get stuck, make sure you dont floor it and dig yourself deeper. Roll back soft, then forward soft a few times and compress the sand beneath the tires. You should be okay, but, if that doesnt work too well, Id get out and make sure you arent digging yourself further.

Dont do anything stupid...and have fun
Old 05-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Go Hard!!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

show off and put it in 2wd, be like me!

i air down to 8 in the front and 6 in the back. if you want to go hard core, go 6 in the front, 4 in the back. dont go any lower or tires buckle in the middle and you lose traction
Old 05-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

I used to go duning quite a bit.... do yourself a favor and find some old carpet to take along. Just a big chunk of it will get you out of more trouble... trust me. Air down to no less than 10psi IMO. Don't let your buddies egg you on into doing something you feel real uncomfortable with and have fun!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Banned

take it slowly, don't do anything you're uncomfortable with ... just take it easy and have fun out there! it's a great chance to learn about your truck and its capabilities/handling in different conditions. HAVE FUN.

oh yeah, and take pictures ... like they said ... LOTS OF PICTURES! and then post them all here.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Look at my Avitar..... Sandy Sitly Hours of Hell being stuck.... be careful
Old 05-27-2004, 09:07 AM

1) Listen to me
2) Follow me to Attica for REAL wheeling
Old 05-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
You'll do fine! I had a blast for years with my 85 4cyl on the dunes. Once you get used to the odd feel of sand under you, you can amaze guys with bigger engines. Neat thing about starting out offroading with that 4 cyl is you will learn to drive. Air down like everyone said. Be consistent - conserve momentum rather than try to use the gas pedal all the time. I found that high range and 1st and 2nd worked best most of the time, but the pros say use low range and 3rd and 4th are less stressful on the trans. Be sure your engine is in good tune and your cooling system is up to snuff, sand is strenuous. When climbing, go straight up. (We have some big dunes here, don't know what MI has to offer) If you don't make it, back straight down. Don't be afraid, just put it in reverse and back stright on down smoothly. Avoid the tempting things like pumping the clutch to keep your rpms up so can make that laaast leettle bit to the top of a dune - it's hell on the clutch. Always have a way out, don't drive into a situation that you can't back down from or turn away from. Don't drive over blind crests, the other side could be a surprize. Feels scary at first. Keep your rpms up, don't lug the engine. (Watch it, don't overrev it either!) Just experiment and push your limits a little at a time and have fun! Sand is a blast!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Now you got me remembering.... Soon as the thirds are back in I'm going to the coast to play in the sand! Thanks!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Ahh...the Michigan Sand dunes! Good times! Which ones are you going to?

Already said but, low psi for the sand. Drop em down 15-17. Dont go too fast in that stuff...Ive had it just drop out infront of me and nose dived a couple times.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
1) Listen to me
2) Follow me to Attica for REAL wheeling
hahaha, i was wondering how long it'd take you to leave a post!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by PoBoy
Ahh...the Michigan Sand dunes! Good times! Which ones are you going to?

Already said but, low psi for the sand. Drop em down 15-17. Dont go too fast in that stuff...Ive had it just drop out infront of me and nose dived a couple times.
goin to silver lake on i THINK monday. (we haven't decided if we wanna go saturday or monday, but we're leaning towards monday)
Old 05-27-2004, 11:13 AM

thanks for letting me know..........