Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stupid ass stealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid ass stealership

So back in august i had my righthand outer Cv boot replaced by the stealership. Ever since they did it i notice grease oozing out day by day. at first i was whatever its just over packed grease. Well the other day i crawl under there to check it out and find there is no clamp and not grease left in the same boot. I call them up since its still on warranty and told them whats up, they said no problem they fix it, but once they brought me up in there computer they had a note that my car was lifted. Once he saw that he instantly tried to bust out, "we're not gonna do it for free, your truck is lifted and thats the cause of it falling off" I said lift? yes. that cause? NO. I told him i had a diff drop so the angles werent as extreme, and he finally realized i wasnt stupid and said, fine we'll fix it but if it falls off again, we're arent doing anything about it. I was just thinkin thats cuz u guys suck ass and cant fix things. My other one has stayed on there for 89K miles. So it looks like if they cant fix it im going to have to bust out the hose clamp method like others of done.

Gapguy, how is that working for you??

Last edited by snwbrdpunk16; 10-27-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

You might want to search on this, but I've heard of the standard hose clamps cutting into the boot over time- they're not a smooth surface like the standard CV boot clamp, and each of the ratcheting holes on the clamp can cut into the boot if overtightened. How could the clamp just fall off? Probably wasn't installed in the first place? The clamps from Toyota (from what I remember) are a single loop- you can't get them off in one piece without cutting them or it breaking off.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

You can get the CV type clamps in a set at your local auto parts place, borrow the tool they have and do it yourself. There is MUCH information on how to do CVs if you'll do some searching.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:25 AM

I know of a couple ways to do my CV's already, i just sent it back to the stealership cuz i paid 200 bux in labor, and i dont expect the ˟˟˟˟˟ to just fall off. so i want them to do it right for that kind of money.

Madchemist, i have no idea how it just fell off, but i looked and i definately wasnt there. Some of those idiots probably just dont know what the heck they are doing. Too bad for me one who knows what he is doing isnt working on my truck. But the hose clamp cutting into the rubber does make sense, i probably wont take that route now that you mention it.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

I installed a boot clamp my self before. It was not a compleet loop so it could be put on after the fact and it requied an $8 tool which I bought. It is kind of like a can opener. It wound the end around a shaft to tighen it and once it was tight you just bent it over the oposite direction and folded some tabs over to keep the tail in place. This type could fall off but it is unlikely. wasn't hard to do though.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 AM

David didnt you say you used zip tie for the CV boot?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:57 PM

Those dirty little bastards! I had an appt. at 8:20 so they could get my 4Runner done. It's now 2 PM and i just called and the bastard said they havent even started it yet. IF you are in the everett area i highly suggest staying away from RODLAND Toyota. They suck at helping customers! I'm about to go up there and have myself a little word with the manager. I'm pissed.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Nothing wrong with using hose clamps. Just don't overtighten em. They don't have to be tight, just snug.

If they ever give you ˟˟˟˟˟ again about your mods negating your warranty, turn em on to this link.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
David didnt you say you used zip tie for the CV boot?
I think he did, but I do too.

When I did mine last week, we (Shane, Ben & I) didn't wanna mess around with the "screwdriver/needle nose" method of tightening the stock clamps (we didn't have "The Tool"). So, there's a hose clamp on the fat end of one, and zip ties on the others.

The boots snap into grooves, and in normal circumstances (paved roads), they won't come out on their own. The clamps are there to help keep the boot in the grooves when the boots are getting stretched (off road).

One thing against hose clamps is that they're normally wider than the "seat" in the boot which means that they could work their way off. I would actually think that zip ties are better than hose clamps just for that reason - the zip tie will sit into the seat on the boot.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:45 PM

Slopoke, thanks for that link, that is going to help me a ton in my little talk i have with them. Am i expecting too much? i mean I paid 200 for the original labor, and when i spend that kinda money i expect to have it done right, or if its not done right i expect they will fix it with no hassle. And also when i have an appt for 8:20 for them to start on it, i expect that they start on it within a half hour from that time, but its been 2 hours now and they havent even pulled it in the garage. Am i expecting too much? should i just calm down? I'm not thinkin so, but let me know your advise.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:57 PM

I think that based on this being a re-do, they should have jumped on it right away.

If the boots are okay, then this isn't a long job - you don't even have to pull the axle to do it.

idiots. I'm foreseeing a future where you're about to go ballistic on them.

Try to keep your cool though and you'll get a lot more for your stress. Start with the service manager, and then move to the sales manager.

If required, go sit in the middle of the _showroom_ in a chair with a sign saying "I've been waiting __ hours for service to fix their mistake". Update the number every-so-often and see what happens.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:19 PM

No, you not asking to much. I'm also of the opinion that with this being a "call back" they should have expedited your service as much as possible.

You should calm down though. At least, the best you can. Gettin' all worked up and being a butthead (this is usually my initial response) usually doesn't get as good of results as if you keep you cool and talk em through it. After all, they do have the right to refuse service to you if you become worked up or disturbing to other patrons. I really like the idea of sittin' in their show room with a sign sayin' how long you've been waiting for service to fix a problem/failure they caused. You can even make one from the back (cardboard piece) of a note pad that you borrow from the parts department. Then use their pages for updating the time every 10 or 15 minutes. LOL Good one Midiwall!!!

What the problem is at the Stealer is probably that it isn't billable work. I bet their putting all the billable work in front of you and making you wait.

Last edited by SloPoke; 10-27-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:31 PM

I'll keep my cool, Mark i like that idea. Thats a good one, haha.

If they say they want my truck there to start at 8:20 i am goin to expect they start at 8:20. Now if they wouldve said bring your truck in and we will try to squeeze it in between appts, i wouldnt complain too much since they never clarified that they would start at a certain time.

I'm giving them till 5:30 to call me since they close at 6, and if its not done or started, im goin to calmly speak with the service manager.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:39 PM

Good luck Cody... let us know what comes of it.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 PM

Well the bastard just called me and said they arent gonna get it done today, they still havent started it, they offered me a rental car and i said well im really not happy with how you deal with your customers. I think my car should be finished since you said it would be done by tonight at very latest the second time we talked. He said its not working that way. I told him i would call him back after i figure out what i am goin to do. WTF should i do, your idea mark? haha

Last edited by snwbrdpunk16; 10-27-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Oh man..bummer. How long has it been like this? I'd be concerned that it's out of grease entirely and the joint is severly worn. I "fixed" mine with the hose clamp method (zip tie, and fancy tie didn't work for me), and I still have my cv vibration.

Just be cool with the dudes. I know how much it sucks when you make an appointment and they don't work on it. When my truck was being re-geared, it sat ouside for a whole day without being touched.

Get a receipt, and if it happens again, simply go to a different dealer and use your "toyota lifetime parts/labor warranty".
Old 10-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Banned

whatever you do, do not tell them that you are going to tear anyone's uterus out through their face ... because then you'll likely be banned from the dealership. (EDGE did that, and I almost did it once too)

Anyway, best of luck to you, keep us updated ... things like this happen all the time, so just remember that you have a lot of support and a lot of people who can empathize.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

r0cky...What's that in your avatar? Photochop, right?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:59 PM

Yeowsa... a$$holes...

Well, the bummer right now is that they have the upper hand since they have your truck. And keep in mind that they don't _have_ to do this work in any reasonable time frame, or actually at all.

Even though, this is a re-do, so I think that gives you some extra bite into the situation.

Call the dealer and just ask for the manager of the dealership. I'd bet a buck that "he won't be in". Come up with something like "Could you check again please, I'm having a problem with your service department and the service manager isn't being helpful".

I'd bet another buck that "someone" will come to the phone. Ask him to identify himself. According to the website, he'd better say that it's "Buzz":

http://www.rodlandtoyota.com/en_US/f_Welcome_1.chtml

I'll bet one more dollar that it ain't.

Apologize for disturbing the person, and find a piece of cardboard. You're gonna be making a sign.

This sucks Cody. This job is like 10 minutes with a real lift. They're jerking you around.

Time to play ball with them. Just stick to the rules.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 PM

Patience grasshopper.

Quick Reply: Stupid ass stealership