Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stripped Differential Plug/bolt - Help

Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the idea of filing down the bolt to the next smallest size if you can't weld a nut on it.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pendrag
I like the idea of filing down the bolt to the next smallest size if you can't weld a nut on it.
Yeah, I did this on mine. With a dremel it was pretty easy and worked like a charm.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this thread is old but this happened to me a while ago. Heres what I did.

Take some vice grips, put them on the bolt, then take a pipe wrench (monkey wrench) and tighten the vice grips down with them. I then took a hammer and tapped the vice grips till it was loose. Worked prefectly.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I changed all of my drivetrain fluids again last week (front diff, transfer case, rear diff) and found that the front diff drain plug (10mm) was a bit worn out. Luckily I was able to crack it loose, but I thought I may not be as lucky the next time. So I bead-blasted the plug/bolt, cut the head off of a grade-8 10mm socket-head bolt I had in the shop, and cleanly welded it on the plug/bolt. Problem solved, and a damn fine weld job to boot.

I always use anti-seize on these bolts, but for some reason the front diff drain plug has always been diffcult to remove.

I've drained & re-filled these fluids every 40-50k miles since new.

Andreas
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM

Tip for the front differential drain and fill plugs w/ that style of plug. Smack the plug with a hammer a few times, directly on the head and flat. It doesn't damage anything and sometimes you don't even need to break it loose after that. I service GX470's everyday and their diff is the same. My tools and my knucles thank me for it!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you have it you could fill through the abs sensor hole on top of the diff, its nice and big alot bigger than the breather
Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks folks for all the help! I ended up using a propane torch and a good pair of vise grips that where rounded instead of squared. That way, I could grip more of the plug.

I used my torch and seafoam, heat-spray-heat, then put the vise grips on it as tightly as I could and it FINALLY cracked loose.

I replaced both drain and fill plugs.

I actually had to back the truck up on ramps so I had more leverage to break the bolt loose.

I never thought to use a hammer on the plug...interesting.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM

snag one at a pick and pull
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Safe?

I ended up using a propane torch and a good pair of vise grips that where rounded instead of squared. That way, I could grip more of the plug on the plug..
would you consider this safe? I dont know about this, but my gut feeling is to not let an open flame near a fuel tank.

I liked the tapping on the head of a bolt with a hammer idea. I havent tried this, but will soon.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by logsurfer
would you consider this safe? I dont know about this, but my gut feeling is to not let an open flame near a fuel tank.

I liked the tapping on the head of a bolt with a hammer idea. I havent tried this, but will soon.

Its fine man, I used propaine. It doesn't get that hot, and if you know how to use a torch its no big deal.

I bought a torch with flame control so I can let as much as I want when I want it. Besides your going to be working close to that rear diff, no heat will even be near the gas tank or lines...

I wouldn't of done it if it was dangerous.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM

Heat works

I know this is an old thread, but it is a common problem so I thought I'd share my experience. I had same problem...Stuck/stripped front differential fill plug. I used a Propane torch on the bolt and around the bolt for approx 2 minutes then used a breaker bar with a 24mm 6 sided socket and voila! Came right off. Heat works miracles. My plug was pretty rounded off from trying pb blaster and a pneumatic impact wrench first. Luckily I just had enough of a bite left on it that it broke free finally with heat.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Think
I know this is an old thread, but it is a common problem so I thought I'd share my experience. I had same problem...Stuck/stripped front differential fill plug. I used a Propane torch on the bolt and around the bolt for approx 2 minutes then used a breaker bar with a 24mm 6 sided socket and voila! Came right off. Heat works miracles. My plug was pretty rounded off from trying pb blaster and a pneumatic impact wrench first. Luckily I just had enough of a bite left on it that it broke free finally with heat.
On my '98 ltd, the front drain plug has a 12mm allen socket, and a 24in breaker was only starting to strip that out. There is no way to put vice grips on that flush head. I used some propane heat, and a cold chisel around the small arc of exposed plug rim, and it was STILL not budging. Using the breaker, I found I was able to TIGHTEN the plug slightly, and after that it loosened without abnormal force. The replacement plug from the dealer has a wimpy 10mm allen socket, when it really needs to have a larger allen or even better a protruding hex head. I ended up reusing my slightly battered plug instead of risking a future disaster. The new plug needs a welder mod before it can be trusted.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You can get Hex Head Plugs that fit
Old 09-28-2018, 05:27 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Are you sure, I thought due to the recessed location and size/thread the front drain had no alternative replacement.