Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Strange/loud noise since new lift/tyres

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange/loud noise since new lift/tyres

G'day guys,

I'm only new here, but I have question I hope someone can help me with? My car is a Toyota Surf (I'm from Australia, and the Surf is basicly a 4runner in Japan).

I got a new set of wheels / tyres and a 2 inch lift kit. I ended up going with a set of Toyo 31x10.5x15 AT on a white sunraysia style rim. These tyres are an inch higher and an inch wider than what came with the veihcle.

Now when driving over about 60 kmh and I take my foot of the go pedal all together, I get loud noise coming from the somewhere down the front of the car. This gets louder depending on what speed im travelling, and at around 100-110kmh, this is so loud it sounds like a bloody truck under compression braking or something. Thing is though, it ONLY happens when I take my foot of the gas and let it coast along. I've been told all sorts of things that it could be, drivline, uni's, diff, the tyres themselves, but as I'm not very mechanicly minded, I just don't know.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suppose theres always some noise during deceleration.....i get alot of noise slowing down from 70mph, but not so much at 40 like you mentioned. Its not shaking or anything when you coast is it?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 PM

No, there dosent seem to be an vibration, just a hell of alot of noise. I do mean a HELL OF A LOT of noise!!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing to do is get under your truck and start grabbing things, seeing if there is any play. Drive shaft and diff output should have no play to them.

Lube the drive shaft.

Check to make sure the drive shaft bolts are tight.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe your tires arent balanced.....or better yet, front end needs alignment. that sounds like a good theory. whoever put your lift on might have not done it or it could have gotten knocked out off road.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
Maybe your tires arent balanced.....or better yet, front end needs alignment. that sounds like a good theory. whoever put your lift on might have not done it or it could have gotten knocked out off road.
It hasn't been off road since the lift & tyres. Only got them done 3 days ago!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Keep an eye on tire wear. I bet you need the front end aligned.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cedarbarn
Keep an eye on tire wear. I bet you need the front end aligned.
What do mean by the front end? I'm guessing your not talking about the wheels?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

the front wheels have to be set to specific paramaters in a few ways.....camber, toe, and somethin else....its kinda like how much the lean in or out from a side view, front view etc. but the adjustment is not made to the wheels themselves but rather all the junk up there......
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM

G'day, mate and welcome to the site Crocket, an invaluable resource for all things 'yota 4x4.
I'm gonna go with the majority opinion here and say that it does sound like you need to have the front end "aligned".
While not a hundred percent sure on this, I would suggest that you scrow your cursor to the upper right hand corner of the page to where it says "Search", and then type in say, "front end alignment" and see what you come up with.
If you get a blank here, try checking over on "www.4x4wire.com", as it is also an excellent site for information on all things Toyota offroad, especially "modifications".
Good luck and welcome to YOTATECH!!

Last edited by 94x4; 06-27-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Thanks alot for the help guys! Much appreciated!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

the three things adjusted in a front end alignment are: camber, caster and toe. the toe adjustment is very tight, depending on the driving conditions, it will work or it will be seized up and you will need to replace the bushings.

welcome aboard, this is truely an international forum!

lee
Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

caster.....thats what it is. can you do those adjustments without the computer system stuff like at the tire shops? i wouldnt think it would be easy
Old 06-29-2005, 02:49 AM

Welcome.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:10 AM

I agree with the alignment. I can also provide this for you on the three settings; Toe which is is normal adjust by the tie rod ends...as you look at the tire from the front of the truck with the steering wheel in a straight ahead position the direction the tire is pointing is TOE It should also be straight ahead and if it is out the tie rod end will be shortened or lengthened to correct. Now again from the front with the steering wheel ahead the TOP to BOTTOM angle of the tire is CAMBER, the adjustment is made with the eccentric bolts that mount the lower control arm to the frame one for the front of the arm and one for the back of the arm. The last one CASTER, from the side draw a line from the top of the tire to the bottom through the middle of the tire that if cut would leave you to half circles....the angle of that line from the front of the truck to the back of the truck would be the caster....I am not sure where the adjustment for just caster is is ....iknow if you knock the camber out far enough the the caster can also come out but correcting the camber will bring back the caster.....but that is camber affecting caster and not caster alone.......I would still check for any thing that might be loose up front.......
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM

I took it to a tyre/suspension shop last night and got them to have a look. It appears their is a bit of play is the steering setup (jacked up the front, held the tyre and shook it), but apart from that, the guy was stumped on what else it could be.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 PM

You mention a 2" lift kit. What was added to the front to gain this 2" of lift? Does this vehicle have manual locking hubs or just a cover in the center of the front wheels?

The play in the steering is a bad idler arm quite likely. This will give you noises in the front end. It will also cause some sloppy steering. If you replace the idler arm, also look at getting a new steering stabilizer from Old Man Emu (OME). You will need to replace these worn parts prior to getting an alignment.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
You mention a 2" lift kit. What was added to the front to gain this 2" of lift? Does this vehicle have manual locking hubs or just a cover in the center of the front wheels?

The play in the steering is a bad idler arm quite likely. This will give you noises in the front end. It will also cause some sloppy steering. If you replace the idler arm, also look at getting a new steering stabilizer from Old Man Emu (OME). You will need to replace these worn parts prior to getting an alignment.
For the lift, they wound up the torsion bar and put in new shocks. The surf has auto hubs.

As for the idler arm, what sort of noises will this create? I wonder if this could be where the noise is coming from?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crocket
For the lift, they wound up the torsion bar and put in new shocks. The surf has auto hubs.

As for the idler arm, what sort of noises will this create? I wonder if this could be where the noise is coming from?
Could possibly be the Torsion Bars. Basically, by cranking them, they are under more stress. It's possible that the loading/unloading of nose dive is causing some creaking of the bars.

If your idler is shot, the steering linkage will be clanking around under there when the suspension is loading/unloading.

I'd wager it's one of the two.

An after thought - how are your A-arm bushings looking?

Check the swaybar to see if one of the ends let go...

Quick Reply: Strange/loud noise since new lift/tyres