Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Strange drivetrain noise/clunk?? on 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange drivetrain noise/clunk?? on 4th Gen

I have a 4th Gen 4Runner with V8, so its permanent 4WD. SOmetimes when I'm braking hard to a standstill and then accelerate it feels like it "takes twice". Pretty hard to describe, but it almost feels like a shot UJ. It was doing it since new and had it checked out 3 times by the dealer, they couldn't find anything. It does not do it consistant ly and actually it is better now after 17K miles. Is it normal for this 4runner? Is it just the Torsen center diff?? ANybody else with the same experience?
Old 02-14-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
I have a 4th Gen 4Runner with V8, so its permanent 4WD. SOmetimes when I'm braking hard to a standstill and then accelerate it feels like it "takes twice". Pretty hard to describe, but it almost feels like a shot UJ. It was doing it since new and had it checked out 3 times by the dealer, they couldn't find anything. It does not do it consistant ly and actually it is better now after 17K miles. Is it normal for this 4runner? Is it just the Torsen center diff?? ANybody else with the same experience?
I have a 98 and yeah mine is kinda similar. When i brake to a stop, but then when i let the brake off it clunks. I kinda thought it might be a trans mount but i dunno either, someone must have had this before
Old 02-14-2004, 05:03 PM

bump bump
Old 02-14-2004, 08:37 PM

Do a search for Slip Joint lubrication or slip joint. From what I understand, it needs regular lubing but that it does go away or get better with age.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:21 PM

Sounds like what some call 'axle wind-up' Mine did the same thing, and it drove me buggy till I found out about here on the forum. Basically, the rear axle slip joint is not slipping for lack of lubrication. Have it greased real well, and the problem should be fixed.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOmetimes when I'm braking hard to a standstill and then accelerate it feels like it "takes twice".
I think I may be hearing this on my 1999 4Runner too. It only happens when I accelerate from a dead stop. I've been meaning to check this out. Slip joint huh? I think I'm overdue for service.

On my 1998 Tacoma, I used to hear something similar and finally figured out that it was the brake pads falling back to their resting position after a stop, however sometimes it didn't happen until I accelerated again. It finally stopped after I cleaned the whole caliper assembly with brake cleaner and re-lubed the back of the pads with Molylithium grease.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:41 PM

My dad's Tundra does something weird. On occasion, I'd slow to a stop, and everything would seem fine. I'm stopped at a light, waiting, then clunk. I'd feel the truck kinda jump(it would only move an inch or so). Really strange. It would almost feel as if someone was tapping me from behind.

Funny thing, I got used to it, then it happened in MY truck. I was thinking, what the heck? Then I noticed the little POS honda behind me. The guy wasn't paying attention.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Thanx for the advice guys. I did a search for slip joint and the only thread I could find was this one I guess somebody is trying to save on disk space. I will have it checked out at the next service.