Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stiffest shocks for towing availible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiffest shocks for towing availible?

Going to be towing a 4000 lb boat all over the place and need to upgrade my shocks to something much stiffer. What do you recommend and do I need to get 4 new shocks or just replace the rear ones? The stock shocks are fine for daily driving, and its a 2002 SR5. Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stiffer springs might help more than stiffer shocks. But I am not a "tow' guy.

Some folks recommend the airbag helper within the springs in the back end. Lots of options.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 AM

It is not the shocks that you need. It's the springs. And yes, I would recommend air bags. They install in the spring and when you need some more support in the rear, you just air them up to level out the vehicle when it has a load on it. This is best so it won't affect your factory ride when you're not towing. The shocks just control the rebound of the suspension when driving over bumps so you're not bouncing around.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 AM

I cant afford to deal with airbags, nor do I have the time to find a place to get them installed. Sooo, what is my next step? New springs and shocks? So new shocks wont help me at all keep my rear ride height better when the boat is attached?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 AM

Springs for sure.

I got the front and rear addco sway bars and holy hell are they awesome for control on the highway! I haven't towed anything over 1000#, but even just driving around it has a lot less body roll.

Oh! I noticed you have an auto..get an extra tranny cooler!! stat! If you are towing 4000# around more than a few times a year, It will prevent your tranny from grenading.

Last edited by seaofnames; 07-05-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 AM

get some ome 891's, they will help your sagging butt while towing, but the downside is you will be raked.

and get a tranny cooler.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imtheant
I cant afford to deal with airbags, nor do I have the time to find a place to get them installed.
Airbags are cheaper than both both shocks or springs, and they are easier or the same as far as installation goes. I'd guess that you are thinking of something else here, not simple airbags with a Schrader valve.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:30 PM

yeah, we aren't talking mini-truck airbags, but rather load leveling airbags... not nearly the same thing

but if you really dont want them, I'd say go for 890s or 891 springs in the rear. I run 890s with 881s up front, and I am slightly raked, but not bad at all. I can put a decent load on the rear, and not sag too much either. Plus 890s are very streetable when not towing as well.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM

I was thinking the airbags were more complex, thanks for the clarification. So if my stock springs and shocks are fine for regular use, would the addition of airbags be enough to help with the towing of my boat without having to purchase new springs and/or shocks? Currently my 02 only has 65K and the ride height suspension seem just fine.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As stated earlier, you want to upgrade your springs for weight carrying ability. You're best bet is probably a set of Old Man Emu medium or heavy springs, combined with a set of Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks. You will notice a huge difference.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 AM

I just started running the 891s

Originally Posted by RobD
As stated earlier, you want to upgrade your springs for weight carrying ability. You're best bet is probably a set of Old Man Emu medium or heavy springs, combined with a set of Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks. You will notice a huge difference.

I had a stock 99 without tall springs-I just went to an Old Man Emu shock and spring combo at all 4 corners.

891s have my back end up 3 inches from before-on a 2002 I am not sure what effect it would have. I like the stinkbug (raked) look and I am loving the stiff ride out back. You can mitigate the stiffness of the springs somewhat with the Comfort shock (Nitrocharger by Old Man Emu) but I did not select that for my rear end.

You could likely get by with 890 springs instead of 891s, but as you can see the options are kind of endless....
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by imtheant
I cant afford to deal with airbags, nor do I have the time to find a place to get them installed. Sooo, what is my next step?
Your next step is to man up and get it set up PROPERLY. Have you ever towed 4000lbs with the 4Runner before? It's not exactly a walk around the park. You WILL feel its heft and you will need to get used to braking, manuvering, etc. Do EVERYTHING you can to prevent damage AND keep yourself safe. If you can't afford to do that, you can't afford to tow. But either way, you will be paying for either a proper set up now, or the damages later. Usually, a proper set up from the get-go is cheaper.

Last edited by cackalak han; 07-07-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Air shocks. They cost $65 for the pair. Ride good, level the truck, and you can adjust the pressure in them to raise the rear end to give you a firmer ride for towing. You want Monroe MA700

See this thread...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...-shocks-60181/
Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM

Just to clarify, springs actually support the weight of the load. If you don't have enough spring support, you'll get pushed all over the road, and you'll waste all your grip strength on the steering wheel, instead of the wakeboard rope handle. Shocks control the rate of up-and-down motion your load causes, and help to keep you rubber-side-down. As C. Han stated, 4000lbs is a pretty heavy load that you want to keep under control. If you're towing a lot or over long distances, you will want to invest in a sturdy suspension system, or your friends will drive separately and cross their fingers in the car behind you. If you can afford an '02 4runner and a Malibu wakeboard boat, you'll be perfectly fine dropping less than $500 on a quality suspension system (front & rear springs plus rear shocks). OME makes a very high quality suspension system, but you will end up with a mild lift. I got the 881 front and 906 rear springs, because I can still run the stock tire size if I want to. The rear OME shocks are really nice, or I'd also look at getting the pressurized air shocks that Adam F suggested too (air shocks would probably have to be adjusted every time you attach and remove the trailer). Give toyteclifts.com a call (or any other good vendor) and they can help you out a lot. Airbags and air shocks (alone) are also worthwhile options, but require more maintenance and thought. Regardless, I'd have new shocks on the rear axle too.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 PM

here is a link to another YotaTech member with similar issues...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...r-bags-148893/
Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some AirLift air springs on mine. They were great. The only problem that I had was when 4 wheeling and you articulate, the spring would extend and the air spring would stay centered and sometimes the air line would pull off the bottom of the bag. I decided to go with the TRDs up fornt and now I have OME 891 in back. I tow 2000# - 3000# and they do great.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
CJM

You want 3 things:

1. Airbags, nothing special-just decent ones will do.

2. Heavier coils and shocks for the rear and might as well replace the front shocks and struts with better quality too. Too all of you suggesting springs: ITS A 4Runner!!!!!!!! It dont have any, it had coils they are not springs!!!!!

3. A brake controller and a trailer with brakes will be a godsend. Might want to look into upgrading to tundra frontend rotors and calipers as well for extra braking power.

The V6 will pull that load, you may have issues with stability b/c of the lack of width and issues with power b/c thats a heavy load and within 1000lbs of maxing the towing load. Any gear you carry will add to that.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 AM

master of the obvious

Originally Posted by Gerdo
I had some AirLift air springs on mine. They were great. The only problem that I had was when 4 wheeling and you articulate, the spring would extend and the air spring would stay centered and sometimes the air line would pull off the bottom of the bag. I decided to go with the TRDs up fornt and now I have OME 891 in back. I tow 2000# - 3000# and they do great.

okay we have it the 891 is a good choice for a rear coil if you like to tow.

Gerdo let me know if I am off base....
Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by CJM

2. Heavier coils and shocks for the rear and might as well replace the front shocks and struts with better quality too. Too all of you suggesting springs: ITS A 4Runner!!!!!!!! It dont have any, it had coils they are not springs!!!!!
Coils are springs just like leaf packs are springs. They have different strengths and weaknesses, but they're both springs. Coil springs are usually more comfortable, but leaf springs usually handle loads better. Is that coily deal in your clicky pen not a spring just because it's not made up of a leaf pack?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Quick Reply: Stiffest shocks for towing availible?