Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stiff Ride after OME Springs and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiff Ride after OME Springs and Shocks

I bought a set of springs and shocks for my '98 4Runner from OME. I like the front set up, but the rear is riding pretty stiff.

They are the 880/90004 front setup and 906/60027 rear set. I called ARB, they suggested driving it to see if it will loosen up. I can't imagine it helping, but I'm going to give it a try.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? Are there different (brand/stiffness) shocks I can try?

They suggested I search for N86C's the old shock that was replaced by the 60027. It would be lucky to find them as they haven't been made for some time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Most springs take time to settle in, leafs or coils. Give it a good 500 miles before you start judging the ride
Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 PM

i just bought my 87 4runner, dont know whats been done to it, but same thing, the back rides stiff as crap. My 86 toy pickup 4x4 was the same way too...small trucks, stiff suspension, i think toy's are made that way....definitely not for the weak backs out there.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Yep. Give it time.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaaydee
I bought a set of springs and shocks for my '98 4Runner from OME. I like the front set up, but the rear is riding pretty stiff.

They are the 880/90004 front setup and 906/60027 rear set. I called ARB, they suggested driving it to see if it will loosen up. I can't imagine it helping, but I'm going to give it a try.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? Are there different (brand/stiffness) shocks I can try?

They suggested I search for N86C's the old shock that was replaced by the 60027. It would be lucky to find them as they haven't been made for some time.

Jerry

It's worth a try buy give these guys a PM..

3rd gen 4runner suspension
OME N86C Comfort Shocks For Sale ~3K mi. (3rd Gen Rear Shocks)
Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 AM

OME springs are about as stiff as they come until you get into dedicated offroad springs. That's the downside.

'99 springs and trekmasters are the best overall setup out there.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get my pics of the OME comfort shocks I sent last night? J-Money and I are buds so if you buy mine or his it's all good. We both took them off when we did our custom links together. I'm asking more for mine because they have less mileage/time and still have a year left on the factory warranty. Jasons are a little looser and older, but by no means are they blown. Let me know if you want em, $75 shipped.

Thanks blcktpgsr for linking him to our classified ad.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
load 'em up

Originally Posted by jaaydee

Jerry
Hi Jerry,
Here's what i can tell you about my recent OME purchase:

i put in OME leafs and springs on the rear of my 88. they were ridiculously stiff. i rode it that way a while, it was bone jarring on speed bumps. (plus i had to crank the t-bars a little so the front is stiff now too)

after a few weeks, the rear dropped a few inches, but the truck still rode stiff, and stayed this way.

but after a few months, i had to load up the truck with gravel. i had about a dozen 5-gallon buckets full of stone in the back. it was enough weight to make the rear sag down lower than level. man did it drive soft and cush in the back then! i didn't even FEEL the same speed bumps which had been jarring me.

after i unloaded the truck, i noticed the rear had improved over those same speed bumps. stiff, but not jarring anymore.

so basically, you need to over load the truck and ride around for a while to give the springs some serious breaking in. if i knew how great an affect the gravel load would have, i'd have driven around for a day or two with them to break them in even more.

plus, the springs must be made for fully loaded trucks. as in, heavy bumpers and sliders, big spare tire, and some gear that's always on hand (jack, shovel, fluids). you know, an equipped rig.

when i called ARB for advice, they suggested pulling a leaf if i really needed. if you have coils, obviously not possible.

if you ride around with a very empty truck most of the time, these may not have been the best brand to buy. "a soft ride" is apparently more subjective than i thought.

good luck man!
Tj
Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks to all who replied.

I put 400#'s of tractor weights in the back and drove it 200 plus miles. It helped of course when I had the weights in, but I took it on a 300 mile drive without the weights with no improvement in ride.

I followed it down the street this afternoon, you can see it hit every crack in the pavement. I see other 3rd gens, they don't seem to have this problem. It couldn't have been this way from the factory, they wouldn't have sold any! LOL.

blcktpgsr - I'm getting the used shocks from Brian, thanks for the heads up. I'll try those and post if it makes a difference.

Potomacduck - ARB said these are rated only 30#'s heavier than the stock springs. I wouldn't think it would make that much difference. Will the '99's fit my '98 with no mod's?

TJ - I may try loading up the weights again, but I'm leary of winter driving, and having them want to sit up front with me. I can anchor them, but at 100#'s each, they can do what they want!!

I'm at a loss, I know there is a fix to this, but I can't keep throwing money at it with no results. I doesn't appear to have any modifications to the suspension although it does look like it sits a little higher than most. I'm attaching a picture for reference.

Stiff Ride after OME Springs and Shocks-100_1564.jpg

Just a thought, but would the tire size make a difference on the springs? I wasn't asked that when I ordered, but it has 16" on it now, the door sticker says 15". I wouldn't think it would matter.

Again, I'm thankful for the suggestions, I'll keep trying and let you know what I come up with.

Jerry
Old 11-28-2010, 03:58 PM

I have had this same setup for 2+ years now and i have just gotten used to the ride, I have noticed like you, that it is better with weight in the back. Im looking into landcruisers coils for the rear just to see the difference.They are a little higher, but i think the ride will be better.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 AM

I have the same set up. I think they did get a little better after a few weeks. After all the research I did I figured I would love them but they are really harsh on the highway. Off road they are great but on the interstate when the road is bouncy its almost commical. Unless your hauling allot of weight or off roading often I think I would try the 99 route.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Atwater,

I got a set of the older version of the rear shocks. They're used, (3000 miles), so I'm going to try those first. Then the next step would be the '99 springs.

Like you said, off-road they seem alright, it's the "mid-level" bumps that you feel.

I wonder if used springs from a '99 would work? I'm sure it depends how many miles the vehicle has on it. I hate to buy new just to try.

Jerry
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It's those OME coils. I just zone mine out and I'm glad I sit in the front. If you get different springs that will make a huge difference. If you want a really fast but not very good fix you can let air out of your rear tires to improve ride quality.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Any Improvement in the ride? Im about to install the same set up, except my rear springs are used.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

I believe I'll give my old springs with the new OME shocks a try. However it works out, I will probably have a set of rear coils with less than 750 miles on them for sale.

I'll let you folks know how it turns out. Thanks for the input.
Jerry
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM

My wife followed me in to the office this mourning and said I was bouncing all over the place. She said it looked like a pogo stick. I cant believe they sold these as a kit for improving the ride? A stiffer ride would be fine but the bouncing is insane.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Atwater27
My wife followed me in to the office this mourning and said I was bouncing all over the place. She said it looked like a pogo stick. I cant believe they sold these as a kit for improving the ride? A stiffer ride would be fine but the bouncing is insane.
Man you've got me scared about putting my lift on hahaha. Wanna buy some 99 springs off me after I put my lift on at the end of the month?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Atwater27
Something is wrong with your set up. That sounds like your shocks are blown or something. OME is known for being very firm, not bouncy at all. Bouncing = bad shocks. What is your exact set up, coils and shocks?

Last edited by brian2sun; 12-08-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

I believe we are talking more of a jarring than bounce. Bounce to me means shot or no shocks, jarring means every seam in the roads gets recorded by my dentist.

Dhow - why are you changing the springs? If your springs are good, I would be interested in them. Have you bought the OME's? If not, I have a near new set, (see above post), I would sell or trade to you.

To their credit, ARB told me they would help me out if I don't like the ride. I should give it some time. I believe they are good people, they've been very helpful so far.

Jerry
Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 AM

I installled a Toytec lift in september. OME 881 coils with OME 9004 up front no top plate. OME 906 coils with OME 60027 shocks in back. I can live with the hard hits on the road like broken pavement or pot holes in fact that kind of ride has improved with the new suspension. Its the interstates that are bad. When I say bounce thats what it does like a pogo stick. I mean there is know way your gonna drink a cup of coffee without a lid. I dont want people to think I was hoping for a cushy ride I have owned 3 other 4Runners and a toyota truck along with a 1 ton Ford with air bags maxed out that all road way better than this.

Quick Reply: Stiff Ride after OME Springs and Shocks