Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stereo problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo problem

I have a 1992 ssrx turbo diesel. The speakers were shot so I replaced the two front speakers with a pair of Audio Pipe. There was still a louder output from the left side than the right. I thought that the rear speaker had a short causing this problem. I removed the rear panel to find a speaker about a 4" size (30watts) in great condition, fitted into a box, complete with a breather hole. I removed the speaker to find some sort of an amplifer fitted into the box, amazing. This has to be a quality sound system, however I don't know why the output is louder on the left. With the rear speaker unplugged, the front still sounds softer, so the problem is either from the head unit or another output before all speakers. Any suggestions?? Oh, I found out how to remove the panel from a posting here, thanks.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:35 PM

You may have a couple of problems, least likely would be that you got one of the speakers out of phase? Try flipping +/- on 1 of the speakers you replaced only. Usually that effects the way the bass sounds but it could make it sound louder on one side than the other.

Balance on the deck is more to the left than the right.

The last one would be that the radios outputs on the right side have and or are going bad.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 AM

might be the amp...

I would probably check the amps (the circuit boards inside the ported plastic box) on the rear speakers. Since they get a low-level signal from the deck and rely on the amps inside the speaker box to power the speakers.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2003, 12:12 PM

Tried that

Thanks, but the system is not out of phase, I checked and re-checked. The output on the right channel is about 60% less than the right.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:14 PM

Tried that

Thanks, but the system is not out of phase, I checked and re-checked. The output on the right channel is about 60% less than the right. Also if it is the amp in the box, how does that affect the front speakers? I have actually disconnected the rear amp and still get the same output from the front. If it was the rear amp then the front would cut off when the rear is disconnected.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:17 PM

try this out...

ok - so to look at the system from a high level - the head unit powers the front speakers via the built-in amp in the head unit, but the rear speakers are powered via built-in amps in each enclosure. (I am pretty sure I read the schematic correctly in the manual).

So the head unit only puts out a low-level (non-amplified) signal for the rears (an RCA type signal). Also of note is that the fronts are 4ohm - while the amplified rears run at 8ohm.

I actually ended up just bypassing everything and running new wires/amps/etc. - but I am lazy.

If the output difference is that much, the capacitors that are in the small internal rear speaker amps are probably worn out and not providing as much power as they should. Does the sound ever cut out completely? One way to troublshoot would be to swap the enclosures to see how output is affected.

If the "bad" one sounds fine on the other side, the problem might be with the headunit signal itself.

It the "bad" speaker sounds crappy in the other location - then the head unit is probably just fine - and the internal amp is toasted - or slowly becoming toast.

I hope that helps - having taken those encolsures out - it's a PITA - but at least you can narrow down the problem.

Anyone else feel free to chime in!

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2003, 03:43 AM

Thanks

Thanks that makes a lot of sense, only problem is the removal of those panels. I am trying to get a replacement headunit with a TV monitor so I will wait until I get one and then go over the process.