Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering wheel can't be set back to center

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel can't be set back to center

Hi all. Thought I would ask to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 99 TRD Taco 4x4. There are 49K easy miles with no hard offroad use. I only use the 4x4 for snow and occasional hunting trips. After replacing my tires, the steering wheel was skewed to the left. I took it to the dealer to be centered because two other shops couldn't fix the steering wheel problem.

After having my truck at the dealer all day and having at least two techs looking at it, I was informed that they could not get the steering wheel back to center after several attempts. The only thing that would cause that is the rack and pinion going out. Of course I am out of warranty, so they said $1200 should cover a new rack and pinion install.

Does this sound like the right fix for the problem with the steering wheel?

Isn't it a little early for the rack and pinion to be going out?

Is $1200 robbery?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:13 PM

Sounds screwy. Should just be able to adjust one tie rod shorter and the other longer to fix that. Maybe they couldn't get them loose. If that doesn't work, they could pull the steering wheel and reindex it. The rack would have to be pulling your steering to cause that problem. Does it drive straight without your input? If so then the rack should be fine.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:20 PM

They said that while the wheels were aligned, they tried to readjust and tighten it while the steering wheel was straight. Then on the test drive, the steering wheel was still skewed.

The alignment seems to be OK since it only has a gradual drift to the right,probably just the road.

They also said one of the bushings may be worn out which won't allow the steering to stay in adjustment.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just had my 4runner aligned the other day...and now, AFTER the alignment, my steering wheel is now off-centered. I have to hold it to the left to go straight. It pisses me off.

Why would this happen after an alignment>!?!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Banned

i perform alignments at my job.... the problems both of you are experiencing are STUPID TECHNICIAN related!

unless the rack is completely damaged, there is no reason for it to not be "centerable" and honestly, without some defect in the rack or an accident so severe that it jolted the rack, there is no reason for it to be damaged... if your steering was straight and then you had the alignment done, it means the tech cant center the steering wheel... thats technician error... msot alignments carry a warranty, take it back and ask that another tech works on it....
Old 06-26-2004, 04:34 AM

You could have a tire problem.I've had cars that i've aligned to prefect spec's and on the test drive the f*%#ing wheel will be off.racked it again and readj.the tie rods and still off then rotate the tires and it's perfect.You did say the problem started right after getting new tires,right?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Ditto

Originally Posted by jimabena74
i perform alignments at my job.... the problems both of you are experiencing are STUPID TECHNICIAN related!

unless the rack is completely damaged, there is no reason for it to not be "centerable" and honestly, without some defect in the rack or an accident so severe that it jolted the rack, there is no reason for it to be damaged... if your steering was straight and then you had the alignment done, it means the tech cant center the steering wheel... thats technician error... msot alignments carry a warranty, take it back and ask that another tech works on it....

Old 06-26-2004, 06:53 AM

Yup...Robbery.

Never trust the stealer. Find a good independent shop unless it's warranty related. While having the head gasket recall done on my 91 they told me about $1600 more work was needed to be done. I declined...hoses, belts....blahblahblah...Well I did have to replace one radiator hose (months later) and the belts are still fine.

the prime factor IMO is selling...Where they charge $80/hr for labor...a good machine shop/Master tech place will charge about $60-65. In reality, they are nothing more than an independent shop that pays big bucks to toyota for the ability to sell the car, repair it and license the name. As such, their sunk costs and operating costs are much higher and they charge like it!

Also, do the small things yourself...replacing the radiator hose took five mintes and $8 vs the $45 the dealer wanted. If you can buy the parts elsewhere too.

Last edited by ctcost; 06-26-2004 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by HondaTec521
You could have a tire problem.I've had cars that i've aligned to prefect spec's and on the test drive the f*%#ing wheel will be off.racked it again and readj.the tie rods and still off then rotate the tires and it's perfect.You did say the problem started right after getting new tires,right?
Yep I got tires and alignment all at once and noticed it immediately afterward. Took it back twice and basically they didn't know how to fix it. They tried re-alignment and swapping all the tires around...no luck. Then I took it to the dealer.

I am taking it back to Toyota on Tues. so they can double check and give me something in writting stating that the true problem is the rack and pinion. If that is the case I will not do anything until I receive a response for the letters that I will send out to Toyota of America and the dealership. If they won't do anything to correct my faulty vehicle, then I will have it taken care of at a non Toyota shop. Then I won't buy my future wife a new 4Runner or any other Toyota product for the rest of my life. I kind of hold grudges against large corporations that I get crappy service from. To many choices to be loyal anymore.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ctcost
Yup...Robbery.

Never trust the stealer. Find a good independent shop unless it's warranty related. While having the head gasket recall done on my 91 they told me about $1600 more work was needed to be done. I declined...hoses, belts....blahblahblah...Well I did have to replace one radiator hose (months later) and the belts are still fine.

the prime factor IMO is selling...Where they charge $80/hr for labor...a good machine shop/Master tech place will charge about $60-65. In reality, they are nothing more than an independent shop that pays big bucks to toyota for the ability to sell the car, repair it and license the name. As such, their sunk costs and operating costs are much higher and they charge like it!

Also, do the small things yourself...replacing the radiator hose took five mintes and $8 vs the $45 the dealer wanted. If you can buy the parts elsewhere too.
I never thought of it like that. As for the little stuff, I do as much as I can (hoses, lubricants, filters, etc.). A "30K service" is over $200!. Mostly to change fluids, spark plugs, and "check" everything. Yeah right.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:05 PM

Yeah I'm lucky I found another good one. I had a great guy for my VW's He was Polish; worked on the VW the line before he came here...He knew that my Audi used alot of the same parts as my VW but when you went to the Audi dealer the same part cost like 4 times as much!!! He was a good friend as well, too bad he's gone now.

This newer guy is pretty good too...Hard to find good mechanics nowadays but when you do they're jewels!!!

yup...$200 for that service is just out of line. They wanted $180 just to check those shift solenoids in my last post. Between you guys and a couple other I got the problem solved. Check my other posts for links to the other paperwork if you ever need a rebuild on an a340 tranny.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...251#post349251

Whatever happened to the good old days (which weren't that long ago), where'd mechanics that would wash and wax your car before returning it to you go, that's all I want to know. hehehe. Gone

Good luck with that Runner!

Originally Posted by SlimTacoma
I never thought of it like that. As for the little stuff, I do as much as I can (hoses, lubricants, filters, etc.). A "30K service" is over $200!. Mostly to change fluids, spark plugs, and "check" everything. Yeah right.

Last edited by ctcost; 06-27-2004 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74

Send me a PM with where your shop is. I'm in the Bay Area as well.

Hope you guys can align a 4th Gen after a spacer lift. The delaer did a good job, but it is still not perfect (steering wheel is slightly off and it feels a little nervous at highway dead a head speeds). They got it within spec and it is a lot better than what it was, but I still am not 100% satisfied. Maybe I'm just full of ˟˟˟˟˟, but would like a second opinion and maybe it can get to a 100%.

I think lots of people will find that it seems to be very difficult for shops to align a 4th Gen after a list, they never seem to get it to that factory sweetspot.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Banned

my wheel works is in newark..... however, i suggest not coming to mine, [means i will have mroe work to do ] and im not too good with them i do know a good deal about it though... actually, there is a guy named nick at our fremont store on fremont blvd that is awesome!!! my truck wasnt perfect after he did mine, but it was very close! and considering i have badly cupped 31" bfg muds and a 20 year old truck, i really dont think there was any way for him to have done it better.....