Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering stiffness increased!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering stiffness increased!

After installing my 1" body lift, my steering is stiffer and doesn't want to return to center as easily. Plus, since I loosened the bolt that attaches to the steering arm, it obviously pulled out during the install. So, lining it back up was a pain the butt, and it's still not straight like it used to be. Can this be fixed by an alignment?

After putting in the steering spacer, which was a pain in the butt to say the least, the steering feels tighter.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen, and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Steering Extension

When I put on my steering extension for my 2" RB body lift I was careful to pay attention to which SPLINE, those little ridges that the steering lines up on, I took the thing apart at so I could line it back up after I put in the extension.

All I can suggest is that maybe you didn't get something put back together right and that your SPLINE alignment is off. That is what would make your steering wheel aimed to the left or right a few degrees when you are actually going straight. And you are right, it is a PAIN to line back up because I had a rig that was off and it drove me nuts!

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 08-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

So the problem occurs when you come out of a turn and the steering wheel doesn't automatically go straight, correct? -or- Are you talking about the steering wheel not being centered when you are driving in a straight line?

If the symptom is the 1st one:
1st do what Brian suggested. If that doesn't fix it, then your caster is off. I am not sure if you can adjust for caster on our trucks when doing an alignment.

If the symptom is the 2nd one:
1st do what Brian suggested. If that doesn't fix it, then your Toe is off (in respect to the steering wheel). Take it in for an alignment.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Banned

WOW!

I was ALMOST right about something...

Brian
Old 08-21-2003, 12:05 PM

Waht about he stiffness or effort required to turn the wheel. I'm not so concerned about the wheel being off, but rather the stiffness of it.

Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

So it feels like you are binding something when you turn?

Maybe the U-joint on the steering wheel "rod" is maxed out..
Old 08-21-2003, 12:48 PM

It doesn't feel like it's binding, but just stiffer during the full range of rotation of the steering wheel.

Let me ask you guys this. If there is pressure upwards on the steering rod towards the steering wheel, could that cause it to feel stiffer? I had to shove the bracket onto the steering rod, and it may be pushing up on the steering rod causing the top part by the steering wheel to have more friction or something. Whatcha think?

Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Banned

Physically looked at it yet...

Take a crawl under there and make sure that everything is put together like it should be. I would imagine it is real easy to get all that stuff in a bind knowing the way it goes together from doing mine this past weekend.

If it wasn't stiff before and now it is stiff, something has to be in a bind and not right in your steering extension connection. We can speculate all day...just crawl under there are look or better yet, take it apart and see if it is a bind and put it back together. It is a pain, but not that bad.

Hope you get it licked soon!

Brian
Old 08-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ravencr
[Let me ask you guys this. If there is pressure upwards on the steering rod towards the steering wheel, could that cause it to feel stiffer? I had to shove the bracket onto the steering rod, and it may be pushing up on the steering rod causing the top part by the steering wheel to have more friction or something. Whatcha think?

Chris [/B]
Chris, I know what you are talking about. I had that stiff feeling when I forgot to put in the 1" spacer and when I loosened the pinch bolt, it let loose quickly. What you describe above is the opposite of my situation but the symptoms sound the same. Maybe loosen that bolt that hold the spline shaft in and see if it moves. If it does from the pressure then I bet you will find the stiffness gone.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:15 PM

Yeah, I've got the spacer in there, and I think I'm going to loosen the pinch bolt on the rod, and drive around for a short bit so it will settle where it wants to settle. There isn't a chance of it coming out either, because it's in the bracket at least an inch or so.

Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Banned

pics

You ever gonna get a pic of your rig for your avatar dude. I'd like to see the rig behind all the typing!!

Hope you get that steering thing whipped soon! Maybe loosening it a bit and letting it unbind itself will work!

Brian
Old 08-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've got the spacer in there, and I think I'm going to loosen the pinch bolt on the rod, and drive around for a short bit so it will settle where it wants to settle. There isn't a chance of it coming out either, because it's in the bracket at least an inch or so.

Chris
You shouldn't have to drive around to feel the difference. Loosen it and re-tighten that bolt and I'm sure you should feel the difference in the driveway. If not, take a drive but tighten that bolt before you go. You never know.....
Old 08-21-2003, 01:52 PM

Well, I was thinking driving it around while it was loosened would allow it to settle itself. We'll see what happens.

Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 03:52 PM

Well, a quick adjustment fixed it right up. All I did was loosen the pinch bolt, and pull and shake downward on the steering rod. I heard it click and before tightening it back up, I went for a bumpy ride in my back yard to find out everything is back to normal.

But, I didn't bother to take it all off again to realign the steering wheel. I figure once I do the spacer lift, I'll have to get the alignment anyway, and it's only off a tad, which I'm sure they can easily fix on the alignment.

Well, tomorrow morning I'm going to do the Lars discos at the least.

I'll take finished pictures of the body lift once I get everything out of the back of my truck.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow!

Chris
Old 08-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

I am glad you found the problem!
Old 08-22-2003, 05:33 AM

Me too! So for those doing a body lift in the future, I would recommend not disconnecting the pinch bolt, but instead disconnect the two bolts that are vertical that hold the bracket to the steering stuff (don't know what else to call it) This was you don't mess with the alignment of your steering wheel, and once you do install the spacer, make sure you pull down on the steering rod to make sure it hasn't been pushed upward to squeeze the spacer in there.

Chris
Old 08-22-2003, 05:38 AM
Banned

AHA!

Me too! So for those doing a body lift in the future, I would recommend not disconnecting the pinch bolt, but instead disconnect the two bolts that are vertical that hold the bracket to the steering stuff (don't know what else to call it) This was you don't mess with the alignment of your steering wheel, and once you do install the spacer, make sure you pull down on the steering rod to make sure it hasn't been pushed upward to squeeze the spacer in there.

Chris
Now that I undertand what you did, I know what went wrong. When I installed my spacer, we simply removed those two vertical bolts you are talking about and took out the whole spacer assembly, put in the spacer, reassembled it, and put it back in place. I wish I had paid more attention to exactly what you were talking about and I could have been more help! But I am glad you got it worked out!

We want pics!

Brian
Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 AM

My whole lift progress fomr start to finish can be found at: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...lift+has+begun

I'm posting everything on that one thread so everyone can see what it takes to do a body lift, spacer suspension lift, lars discos, panhard drop bracket, etc. Check it out! Pictures too!

Chris
Old 08-22-2003, 05:44 AM
Banned

THANKS BRO!

My whole lift progress fomr start to finish can be found at: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...lift+has+begun

I'm posting everything on that one thread so everyone can see what it takes to do a body lift, spacer suspension lift, lars discos, panhard drop bracket, etc. Check it out! Pictures too!

Chris
I'm going there even as I type...

Brian
Old 08-22-2003, 05:47 AM

Good deal! I'm hoping that that one thread can shed some light for anyone looking to do a similar setup on the 3rd gen. It will include everything they need to repeat what I did.

Chris