Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Stabilizer Questions/Help!!

Old 12-26-2003, 01:43 PM
CTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizer Questions/Help!!

Hey guys,

Alright, I'm in the middle of replacing my steering stabilizer, and I need some help or tips. I have removed the end of the stock stabilizer from the frame, but I couldn't get the end out that is connected to the other steering linkage...it was stuck good! So, I decided to use a hacksaw to cut the bolt/joint. Those of you with 2nd Gen's who have done this mod probably know exactly what I'm talking about!

Anyway, know how should i get the remaining part of the stud out (what is still inside the steering link and the threaded back side of the stud)?...a big punch/drift, small propane torch, and other ideas?

I'm at a standstill till I can get this one figured out guys. It had been a really productive day till I got stuck on this. Anyway, any tips or help y'all could give me would be awesome. Thanks so much guys...I promise to post pics when I get this all done. Take care fellas-

Cody
Old 12-26-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat it and beat it.

Mine took a lot of whacking and the last one that popped it seemed no different from any of the others.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:23 PM

When I did mine, I did not cut the bolt or use heat. I used a tie rod end separator. came right off.
At this point you may want to try using a punch to remove the stud.

Last edited by rchavis; 12-26-2003 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:11 PM
CTB

Thanks guys.

I went out tonight and bought a propane torch and a set of brass drifts. I will try heating it up (about how long should I put heat on it?), and then try to beat it out with the drift. Also, I assume a hand-held propane torch should be sufficient..right?

Thanks again for the help guys..this thing is a real bugger!

Cody

P.S. - Hey Adrian, what kind of disco's are you running on your front swaybar?
Old 12-26-2003, 05:21 PM

How do you know when its going out?
Old 12-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Did the torch work Cody? I hope so man, I didn't see any other way of getting that thing out of there. Give me a call tomorrow and let me know how it went.

P.S. My Hellas didn't come in today so hopefully they will get here on Monday. I'm probably gonna do those and the grill so I'm gonna need your help soon if you can before you go back to school. Call me and we'll work it out.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:19 PM
CTB

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks again for your help today bud...couldnt' have done it all without ya.

Anyway, the torch was out of gas...so that gave me an excuse to buy my own tonight! That will be the first thing I try in the morning, then I will try to beat it out with the new brass drifts I got.

I will be glad to help you with the Hella's (but now it looks like I'll be leaving town sometime on the 1st....got a ticket to the Peach Bowl!). Anyway, I'll give you a call tomorrow after we get that bugger on!

Cody

P.S. - 45 freakin' minutes with the hack saw!!! It needs a new blade now! :pat:
Old 12-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cody, did you see the write-up in Tech too?

It's in the Off Road Enhancements area.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah Corey. Me and Cody worked on his truck all day and got every thing done except the steering stabilizer. We know how it disconnects, it just won't do it though. We hammered, PB blasted and even hacksawed and the end that connects to the steering linkage just won't let loose. I know that I wacked the thing myself as hard as I could and it just won't budge. Basically he just needs some ideas of how to get the thing loose. I think if he can get the torch up in there, it will probably do the trick and let loose. It's just old stuff up in there and it's all been connected for 8 or 9 years and doesn't want to let loose.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:08 AM

If heat and beat doesn't work (I just beat mine out), the tie rod separator tool is the ticket. I've since bought and used the tie rod separator and wished I'd have gotten one when I did my stab.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:14 AM

I got it red hot with a little torch then flogged it with a pickle fork.

I used to have Rockstomper discos, then one of the heims broke and I said to heck with it and have been swaybarless for more than a year.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:17 AM
CTB

Alright, I've hit it with heat a few more times (how long is long enough with the propane torch?). Then, I also drilled a hold through it hoping to be able to cave it in a little and beat it out...didn't seem to help. It is really hard to get anything back behind the stud to beat it out...there just isn't much space - any suggestions? I can only get a hammer on it, but it is a really short swing. There isn't enough room to get a drift/punch on it. I'm running out of ideas fellas...getting close to taking it somewhere. Anyway, just thought I would check again. Thanks for the help so far!

Cody

P.S. - I don't have access to a pickle fork or tie-rod puller.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:25 AM

You can buy a tie rod separatpr at any auto parts place for like $20 IIRC.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:43 AM
CTB

Originally posted by Cebby
You can buy a tie rod separatpr at any auto parts place for like $20 IIRC.
Cool, but....I no longer have that joint that was the other end of the steering stabilizer. I took the hacksaw to it and broke it off...I mistakingly thought I would be able to knock the stud out towards the rear, so I hacked off the joint to make that possible. Obviously, I was wrong. Anyway, off to try and beat some more before I go to Midas or something. Wish me luck...

CTB
Old 12-27-2003, 07:48 AM

The tie rod separator pushes the stud out from behind the centerlink IIRC. I'll go shoot a pic of the tool I'm talking about. It does NOT work the same way as a pickle fork if thats what you are thinking. You don't need anything on the front part of the stud to get it out with the TRS. This stud is tapered BTW.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:56 AM

OK, here's a pic of the tool:

You have the "ears' hold the edge of the centerlink around the stud and drive the threaded screw into the stud. It will pop it out eventually.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:59 AM
CTB

Cool, I'd appreciate that Cebby. Ya, I know it is tapered, so I know I have to beat on it at the rear (on the threaded part of the stud) so it will come on towards the front of the car. I just can't get much swing behind it to beat it out...I will probably head to Midas in a few minutes to see if they can get it out. Putting the new one in should only take about 5 minutes! It's just getting this damn old stud out.

If y'all really need a picture of what I'm talking about, I may be able to get one. Thanks guys-

Cody
Old 12-27-2003, 08:01 AM
CTB

Thanks man...I'm probably gonna run to Midas and see if they can get it out. If not, next stop will be AutoZone to see if I can buy/rent a tie-rod separator. Thanks again Cebby - I'll let y'all know the outcome eventually!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I'll be much help but I do have one suggestion. Try soaking it in some PB Blaster. That stuff works miracles.

Good Luck

Old 12-27-2003, 10:28 AM
CTB

Alright, got the old one out. I'll explain later...

Anyway, I can't get the new stud in for the life of me. Ya, I have it going in the right way, just in case you were worried!

I have pounded on it with a rubber mallet, used a piece of wood and a hammer, but can't seem to get the last 1/2" to slide into the link. Any suggestions guys???
Thanks

Cody

I'm damn close to just leaving the thing off...it wasn't too bad at all driving without one on!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer Questions/Help!!