YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to grimpy
Steering Column/Steering wheel moves/wiggles left and right???

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Worn bushings or something? My steering wheel basically moves left and right a little bit. This is while parked also. I can wiggle it left and right also while driving. Possibly loose U joint or something somewhere? Or is this normal? I highly doubt it but I inspected the shaft and from where I was looking, nothing looked wrong with it.

tia
Darrin
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Pro Comp Skid - Lund Grill Cover
17x10 Weld EVO Velociti 6 *soon
grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #2

Yeah I'm thinking my bushings might be worn out because mine has the same symptoms.
They only have 185k miles on them... hmm

SE4RJ - Pics
ASU4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 AM   #3

grimpy

I had this issue on my truck and found that it was two bolts underneath the steering/dash. You would have to take that bottom dash panel off, the one under your steering wheel down by your pedals.

Once you have that off there are two bolts that hold the steering wheel. It's holds it from moving side to side.

That was my problem. It could be something else but my guess is to start here.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osr436
grimpy

I had this issue on my truck and found that it was two bolts underneath the steering/dash. You would have to take that bottom dash panel off, the one under your steering wheel down by your pedals.

Once you have that off there are two bolts that hold the steering wheel. It's holds it from moving side to side.

Good luck

Thanks bro, I'll give it a try later.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osr436
grimpy

Good luck
OSR, nice looking out bro! It turned out to be those bolts...

Asu, try checking those bolts. When I checked to see if it was loose, I gave it a little jerk but it was tight... I decided to give it a good tug and it tightened up more... Now my steering wheel has no left/right play.

Required tools, 10mm for the 4 bolts that hold the lower cover on and 14mm deep socket for the two that holds the steering column in place.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpy
OSR, nice looking out bro! It turned out to be those bolts...

Asu, try checking those bolts. When I checked to see if it was loose, I gave it a little jerk but it was tight... I decided to give it a good tug and it tightened up more... Now my steering wheel has no left/right play.

Required tools, 10mm for the 4 bolts that hold the lower cover on and 14mm deep socket for the two that holds the steering column in place.
Sweet, I'll try that tomorrow.

SE4RJ - Pics
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU4runner
Sweet, I'll try that tomorrow.
Damn... I just messed mine up.... When I tightened it, I didn't center the wheel so it looked a little off... I decided to center it... Lets just say when I retightened, I tightened too hard and broke the thread... The reason why I kept tightening it was because there was still play on the steering wheel... After breaking the thread off, I managed to get the trapezoid block thing out and found out the reason why it wiggled... The trapezoid wasn't lined up properly... No matter how much you tighten, if the trapezoid is off by a certain amount, it may wiggle... The pos thread part is welded on so now I have to figure a way to get the sucker out... Now it's worse than before...

If your's is wiggling and that trapezoid isn't flushed in place... try to push it to flush it... Mine was still off so I may need to remove the trapezoid crap and drill the hole bigger so it will flush after I figure a way to get the POS bolt out and stick a regular bolt back on. I'm wondering why the hell Toyota used this pos trapezoid crap instead of just regular bolts to tighten it...

Last edited by grimpy; 11-17-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpy
Damn... I just messed mine up.... When I tightened it, I didn't center the wheel so it looked a little off... I decided to center it... Lets just say when I retightened, I tightened too hard and broke the thread... The reason why I kept tightening it was because there was still play on the steering wheel... After breaking the thread off, I managed to get the trapezoid block thing out and found out the reason why it wiggled... The trapezoid wasn't lined up properly... No matter how much you tighten, if the trapezoid is off by a certain amount, it may wiggle... The pos thread part is welded on so now I have to figure a way to get the sucker out... Now it's worse than before...

If your's is wiggling and that trapezoid isn't flushed in place... try to push it to flush it... Mine was still off so I may need to remove the trapezoid crap and drill the hole bigger so it will flush after I figure a way to get the POS bolt out and stick a regular bolt back on. I'm wondering why the hell Toyota used this pos trapezoid crap instead of just regular bolts to tighten it...
Wow, i'll try not to make that mistake.

SE4RJ - Pics
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
95, backing, left, loose, lund, moves, moving, side, steering, tighten, tightening, truck, turned, wheel, wheels