Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stealership screws up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stealership screws up!

So, after I say I want a tranny flush, a T-Flush, seven different times, I pick up my truck to find that they only used 5 qts and what THEY thought was a tranny flush was basically pull the plug and fill it up. I am LIVID! So now I got to call Amsoil for more ATF oil and go back Monday (if I get the oil quick).

He kept saying it's only 5qts and I'm like "Nope, a complete flush takes 15-17 qts." He asks me how I know this and I let him know that I belong to a 4Runner BB and many of the guys ahve had this procedure done.

And I go "So now you're going to charge me another $200?" And he's like "I'll wotk with you."
Old 05-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks. They should at least credit you for the work they did against what the complete flush will cost. Good luck, let us know how it gets resolved.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

That's a bunch of crap man. It just makes me mad reading this thread. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? I hate when service advisers agree to what you requested, then the dealership does the wrong thing.

Always, always, always make them put it in writing and review it before the work is done. Then put it on a CC.

Sorry man. That sucks. Try being nice first and see where that get's you.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:05 PM

5 qts? What did they think, that it's an oil change?? :pat:
Old 05-30-2003, 04:56 PM

Dude - I'm right with you. I was told they drop the pan when doing their flush. Cool, I know that means about 20 quarts (thanks Gadget). Guy calls to tell me truck is ready. I ask how the pan looked when it was dropped and if their were any metal shavings - he tells me it looked great and that there were no shavings. When I pick my truck up I have 15 quarts of ATF remaining. However, they charged me for the flush. Nice.

Had to take it back next day to get the actual flush done and credit for the 5 quarts they used (drain & fill). See the other thread for all the fun I have had with this dealer. They only used 12 quarts for my flush so I am still not 100% certain it was done right.

For anyone who wants to know, it was Ourisman Chantilly Toyota.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

If dealers only knew how bad we smeared their names. Well, they still probably wouldnt care.

Most dealers =
Old 05-30-2003, 05:56 PM

200 BUCKS??? GOOD GAWD!!! I had my tranny pressure flushed and all new ATF fluid added for 75 bucks, AND, it sounds like you supplied the ATF!!! Dude, you got BONED!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
If dealers only knew how bad we smeared their names.
I would not consider this smearing anyone’s name. I am simply recounting my recent experience with a service department. I was asked specifically which dealer (in Citykids other post) and I have named the dealers that I have had personal experience with their service department. These are facts.

I think it is beneficial to document both positive & negative experiences to help others make informed decisions. I have recommended this dealer in the past as they have been one of the better dealers in my area. My personal feelings based on my recent experience have reversed my opinion of this shop. It is up to any shop to treat their customers fairly and by doing so earn a good name. If they choose to conduct themselves in another manner then that is their prerogative. I learn from my mistakes and do my best to not make them twice. I hope others may learn from my experiences and make an informed decision when choosing a shop to service their vehicle.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:56 PM

Just one thing to clarify... i'm guessing all of you have Automatics and not manuals.... because you don't flush a manual transmission... there isn't really a way to do it.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:22 PM

Righto MonkeyElvis. You can drain manuals and add fresh gear lube though.... especially if you do water crossings
Old 05-31-2003, 07:26 PM

I hate it when $tealer$hip$ forget to flush
Old 06-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Hermes
I would not consider this smearing anyone’s name. I am simply recounting my recent experience with a service department. I was asked specifically which dealer (in Citykids other post) and I have named the dealers that I have had personal experience with their service department. These are facts.

I think it is beneficial to document both positive & negative experiences to help others make informed decisions. I have recommended this dealer in the past as they have been one of the better dealers in my area. My personal feelings based on my recent experience have reversed my opinion of this shop. It is up to any shop to treat their customers fairly and by doing so earn a good name. If they choose to conduct themselves in another manner then that is their prerogative. I learn from my mistakes and do my best to not make them twice. I hope others may learn from my experiences and make an informed decision when choosing a shop to service their vehicle.
Dude, you dont have to give me your dissertation on communication and customer service. My point is only this: We get crappy service, over a thousand Toyota guys will know about it. Enough said.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Dude, you dont have to give me your dissertation on communication and customer service. My point is only this: We get crappy service, over a thousand Toyota guys will know about it. Enough said.
Wow - I guess I was a little long winded

That is what happens when you have too many late at night.

Your point is spot on.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Hermes
Wow - I guess I was a little long winded

That is what happens when you have too many late at night.

Your point is spot on.
Thanks for being cool about it. Most people would have taken that personally.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:21 PM

Buy a shop manual and do it yourself.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I go Thursday. I will let you guys know how it goes.

The tranny is one of the few items I just don't want to mess with at all. Otherwise, I'd do it myself.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:59 PM
TOR

Dealerships

Ahhh feel the love! I know what you guys are talking about though, I work at a Toyota Dealership.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

I can honestly say that I have a bad experience at the dealership 75% of the time.

No matter WHAT kind of car/suv it is. BMW, Toyota, Honda, whatever.

On another note - wouldn't you guys reccomend a Juffy-Lube or something like that to flush the system? They do it right in front of you, and that is ALL THEY DO. They don't worry about the other 95% of what goes into a service dept.

Dan
Old 06-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

I had my tranny flushed at 15K miles, or at least paid for it. When I had it flushed again at 30K the service manager said it was a good thing, as the oil had started to discolor and was burnt. I immediately said that it shouldn't be burnt, I had not towed anything and had a complete flush done at 15K. You could hear a pin drop. He issued a partial credit. You take time out of your day to sit in a crappy dealership waiting room, paying good money and faith of a job well done, only to feel violated later. Its like being on a strict diet for a month only to find out you gained five pounds when you weigh! That is downright dishonest and deceitful!
Old 06-18-2003, 05:23 AM
TOR

Stealerships

As for the suggestion of taking your vehicle to Jiffy Lube or some othe fly-by-night operation, good luck. We generally end up fixing their mistakes and when I say mistakes that is an understatement!

TP

Quick Reply: Stealership screws up!