Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starting problems....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problems....

I have a 91 3.0 yota pickup. The past few days i've been having some starting problems. I'm figuring it may be the starter...

After the truck has sit in the sun for a bit, like before i go to work, or wherever, i turn the key, there's a 1 - 1.5 sec delay before it starts to crank.. and then fires right up. It never did this before. If i leave it in the shade like under a tree at work, it cranks right away. Once, after parking in the sun for 30 mins, it wouldnt crank at all. I kept on trying and trying... and then it was time to call road side. After trying to get a hold of them, i tried one more time, and after holding it for a sec it started.

Could my starter be going bad? Or maybe my battery? not enuf juice to crank it over?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshik
I have a 91 3.0 yota pickup. The past few days i've been having some starting problems. I'm figuring it may be the starter...

After the truck has sit in the sun for a bit, like before i go to work, or wherever, i turn the key, there's a 1 - 1.5 sec delay before it starts to crank.. and then fires right up. It never did this before. If i leave it in the shade like under a tree at work, it cranks right away. Once, after parking in the sun for 30 mins, it wouldnt crank at all. I kept on trying and trying... and then it was time to call road side. After trying to get a hold of them, i tried one more time, and after holding it for a sec it started.

Could my starter be going bad? Or maybe my battery? not enuf juice to crank it over?

Thanks!
1st, Check the condition of your battery, you can go to any Autozone, Shucks.., and they will do it for free! From what you're describing it sounds like your starter contacts are on thier way out!

Good Luck!
* Harry *
Old 08-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar problem - only happened when the engine & air were hot. Replaced starter, battery & cables. Added a starter relay and haven't had a problem since. With the 5spd, you should already have one - if it's bad, replace it with an aftermarket - Toyota wants like $200 for theirs. If you don't have one, you can get all of the parts at Radio Shack for less than $20. Take the small wire that goes to your starter now & plug that into the 'Activation' terminal of the new relay. Run a ground, then a wire from the battery to one of the 'switching' terminals and another from the other terminal to the starter (where you removed the original wire). Roger Brown also has a write-up on his site.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, having a clicking problem with my starter on a '91 P/U and ready to replace the starter. Have a 3.0 6 cyclinder motor. Do any of you guys foresee a problem changing the starter? Is everything easy to get to? Any special tools needed?

GB
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GaBowman
Guys, having a clicking problem with my starter on a '91 P/U and ready to replace the starter. Have a 3.0 6 cyclinder motor. Do any of you guys foresee a problem changing the starter? Is everything easy to get to? Any special tools needed?

GB
I won't rip you since you're new, but the Tech Articles here on YotaTech rock!
This should be what you're looking for: Starter repair & replacement.
The links at the bottom of the page are really helpful.

Good luck.