Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starting Problem - Dead in the water -

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Problem - Dead in the water -

Help - Allright so I get in my Tacoma (97 3.4 5 spd 56,000 miles) to head down to the beach today and when I turn the key to start the engine all the lights come on etc. but the no resposne at all from the engine - not even close to turning over -just a very quick clicking/ticking sound - so I assume the starter is at least trying turn the engine over - the battery seems like it is fine all the lights working including the headlights - does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong and what I can do about it so I dont have to bike into work on monday?? The car was running fine until now. It has been damp and we have had a bit of rain if that means anything. Thanks.

Last edited by GodwinAustin; 10-24-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Help - Allright so I get in my Tacoma to head down to the beach today and when I turn the key to start the engine all the lights come on etc. but the no resposne at all from the engine - not even close to turning over -just a very quick clicking/ticking sound - the battery seems like it is fine all the lights working including the headlights - does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong and what I can do about it so I dont have to bike into work on monday?? Thanks.
Your battery is near dead-- when you try to crank your enigine over --the battery takes a higher load-- drawing more power ( current & voltage) if it is already weak it will not have enough cranking power to turn your engine...but it will still run lights and other low current accessories...Try jumping starting it, I bet it will run...

Last edited by Noliwan; 10-24-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:25 AM

If your dash lights are lit up your battery has juice. I would try tapping your starter and starting it. I bet its the starter.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yoter
If your dash lights are lit up your battery has juice. I would try tapping your starter and starting it. I bet its the starter.
I guessed the starter - is there anyway to easily reach the starter without removing the passenger side wheel well fairing? where the christmas is the housing?

Should I just wack it with a sledgehammer or something? If that doesnt work where might I find the starter contacts? ohhhhh man
Old 10-24-2004, 11:51 AM

I guessed the starter - is there anyway to easily reach the starter without removing the passenger side wheel well fairing? where the christmas is the housing?

Should I just wack it with a sledgehammer or something? If that doesnt work where might I find the starter contacts? ohhhhh man
Anything long enough to reach up in there. It does not take much of a hit to free it up. Even a broom would do the job.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Yoter whats the best way to reach the starter.....? what the heck does it look like? Does the fact that its doing this mean the starter has to be replaced? or could itjust be the contacts etc. Sorry for all the questions it just seems the maitenence write ups all assume that you know where these things are to begin with. Thanks!

Last edited by GodwinAustin; 10-24-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:08 PM

Yoter whats the best way to reach the starter.....? Does the fact that its doing this mean the starter has to be replaced? or could itjust be the contacts etc. Sorry for all the questions it just seems the maitenence write ups all assume that you know where these things are to begin with. Thanks!
I know, half of the write ups drive me crazy just for that reason. I wont go into my rants on writeups though. Do you have a long bladed screw driver? Anything long enough to reach up in there and be able to give it a few good taps will do the trick most of the time if it is the starter. You say your dash lights are all on, do your headlamps and dome lights come on to? Is it a stick shift?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

yeah its a stick. all the lights come on, keyless entry works etc. -and when I turn the key, while the engine doesnt respond at all - it sounds like the starter is getting plenty of juice judging by how fast it is clicking....I can definetly reach up there I just am not sure what exactly I am looking for....I am not sure what the starter housing looks like. Thanks for the help yoter
Old 10-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa... Don't discard what Noliwan said. I've had this symptom on 3 different vehicles over the years, and I've never had to replace the starter or relay.

Will it start with a jump? If so, then it's not the starter. Your battery simply can't provide enough current to turn over the engine.

Getting the dash lights and such lit up is "cake" - you can pretty much provide enough juice for that from 8 D cell batteries.

...it sounds like the starter is getting plenty of juice judging by how fast it is clicking....
It's not the starter.. It's the battery. I JUST went through this with my truck 2 months ago.

Last edited by midiwall; 10-24-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Whoa... Don't discard what Noliwan said. I've had this symptom on 3 different vehicles over the years, and I've never had to replace the starter or relay.

Will it start with a jump? If so, then it's not the starter. Your battery simply can't provide enough current to turn over the engine.

Getting the dash lights and such lit up is "cake" - you can pretty much provide enough juice for that from 8 D cell batteries.
hmmm ok well i guess i will back off. I will be interested to see the outcome so please post.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

hmmm allright guys - well I guess I'll try jumping her before I start wacking the starter with a large metal object

I'll keep ya updated
Old 10-24-2004, 12:26 PM

hmmm allright guys - well I guess I'll try jumping her before I start wacking the starter with a large metal object

I'll keep ya updated
please do! I agree that it _could_ be the starter, but given that jumping it will be easier than pointing you to the starter and getting you to whack it, it's worth a shot.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
please do! I agree that it _could_ be the starter, but given that jumping it will be easier than pointing you to the starter and getting you to whack it, it's worth a shot.
I thought you said "It's not the starter.. It's the battery."

Im not trying to piss you off but I have had this problem before and it was the starter. He has power to many of his accessories allowing me to think it is the starter being he has more than D batteries powering them.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:49 PM

I'm trying to meet you in the middle Ben, and at the same time covering my arse.

In my experience, the spinning/ticking noise showed up as the solenoid ticking while it attempts to engage the starter pinion with the flywheel.

We're both sure we're right - and I'd bet that one of us is. At this point though, given that he's not sure where the starter is, it's worth him trying to jump it before borrowing a ballpeen hammer.

D battery wise... I didn't mean it too literally, but I know I can pull about 3 amps out of a D battery for a bit. Throw 9 D's together (maybe 10) and that'd be enough to light up the dash. The cranking amps requirement is WAY more than perking up the dash.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Allright tried jumping her - no luck - just seems to tick a little quicker!
:pat: Anyways looks like the starter may be the culprit......Allright so any ideas what I will be looking for before I start whacking everything in sight with a socket wrench? What does the starter and the cylinder look like? Location?

Question: And if it does turn out to be the starter - this guy is still under warranty so should the starter be replaced?

Thanks much guys
Old 10-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

tried wacking the starter - no luck. the ticking sound sounds as if it is coming from the driver side. What the christmas is going on here!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:19 PM

tried wacking the starter - no luck. the ticking sound sounds as if it is coming from the driver side. What the christmas is going on here!
pmed you again.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Allright tried jumping her - no luck - just seems to tick a little quicker!
:pat: Anyways looks like the starter may be the culprit......Allright so any ideas what I will be looking for before I start whacking everything in sight with a socket wrench? What does the starter and the cylinder look like? Location?

Question: And if it does turn out to be the starter - this guy is still under warranty so should the starter be replaced?

Thanks much guys
When you tried jump starting her--what other car (Battery) did you use..??--, your Truck is a 6 cylinder-- if you tried jumping with a 4 cylinder that may not be enough either-- was the other car running above idle..??? while jumping??-- were all the battery terminals clean of any corrosion?? make sure you get a good clean connection ... both battery terminals clean-- remember when jump starting cars or trucks you are trying to juice both with that one battery either it be good or also near the end of its life--- the quicker ticking tell me you're getting the juice but maybe just not quite enough to turn the engine--...
Old 10-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Allright - tried a new set of cables, and a newer donor for the jump - and she started up(never checked the cables for charge -stupid). Didnt leave any lights on or anything so I suspect its probably the alternator.....Anyways thanks so much for the help guys - you rock.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

at least I know where the starter is now Thanks yoter - and everyone

Quick Reply: Starting Problem - Dead in the water -