Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

starter problems - need help / advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter problems - need help / advise

I have a 99 limited (v6) with roughly 115K miles on it. About a week ago the starter began doing the click, click, etc. Somtimes when you turn the key you get nothing at all and then on the next try it fires up like nothing is wrong. I read some other posts about changing the copper contacts. I believe this is what i want to attempt, but I had a few questions. I called my local dealer to inquire about the contacts and he stated I would have to bring the old ones in to match them up with the new ones. This did not make any sense. I would think there would be a part number and a specific connector for my exact truck?? Maybe I should call another dealer or are there variations in the starters for 99 models? It just seems like a pita to have to take them off and then drive to the dealer hoping they have the correct ones!! I also need a really detailed write up (with pics) on how to remove the starter. Anybody have one? If so...thank you.

I took the 4Runner to a shop today to have some brake work and tire balancing done. I asked the shop if they would take the starter off and replace the contacts, but they wouldn't. They were worried that it may not fix the problem and I would be stuck with a $150 bill, plus I would still need to pay for a replacement / labor.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out 4Crawler's site: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnlineOrdering. He can help you get what you need. I'm not sure if the contacts would have a part number since it is usually sold as a whole unit.

Rob
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM

you can also buy the contacts along with a replacement solenoid for $17.99 at kragen.. its called the starter solenoid repair kit.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM

it comes with the contacts... just as good as the oem ones, only cheaper.. theyre the same.. you cant really screw up a little copper tab. and you get a new nippondenso soleniod too.

ps i think kragen is called shucks or parts america in other states.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM

I found the replacement parts on Kragen.com. Thanks for the info. I would still like to hear from some guys who had actually done the replacement.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 PM

i'll be doing mine tomorrow.. i'll let you know how it goes..

i would assume that the starter on my 3.0 is very similiar if not the same as the one on your 3.4...

..i just checked... it is ALMOST exactly the same starter.. i cant tell the difference because they look identical, but they are different part numbers. both are 1.6kW with the auto transmission. the solenoid and contacts from kragen are even the same part number.

i will let you know how it goes tomorrow.. i hope the starter on your 99 is easier to get in & out than the one in my 89!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 AM

I'm really starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with mine. Yesterday I put the key in the ingnition and just barely turned it to the point where everything electrical comes on and let it sit there for a second or two and then turned the ignition further and it cranked right up with no problem whatsoever...

I repeated this multiple times yesterday with no problem starting at all. Same thing this mourning.

It seems the only time I am having a problem is when I put the key in and go strait to starting in one quick motion. Is it possible that I have an ignition problem vs a starter problem??

Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the starter contacts are going to me.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by hurricanes99
I'm really starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with mine. Yesterday I put the key in the ingnition and just barely turned it to the point where everything electrical comes on and let it sit there for a second or two and then turned the ignition further and it cranked right up with no problem whatsoever...

I repeated this multiple times yesterday with no problem starting at all. Same thing this mourning.

It seems the only time I am having a problem is when I put the key in and go strait to starting in one quick motion. Is it possible that I have an ignition problem vs a starter problem??

Anyone else experience this?
Yes I had this issue like this. Check the negative battery connection. Remove the connection clean and refit.
I still suffer from this sometimes when I remove the earth to do electrical work.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Definetly check the battery connections first.

But, once again, that sounds like bad starter contacts for sure.

I had posted in your other thread that getting the right contacts are a PIA. There are different styles of starters for every year for whatever reason. 4crawler.com will send you all the contacts out, and then you use the ones that are the right size, and you can then send them back. (This was true last time I checked).

Or you can get your starter out and bring them to the dealer.

There are two bolts holding the starter in from the back, and then 3 bolts to take off on the starter.

Here's a diagram, but, don't get discouraged by looking at it, its actually a lot simpler than it looks.
http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M.../star/comp.pdf
Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did mine several weeks ago. Look at several write ups on it in this forum plus in the tech section. I printed off the one in the tech section. I didn't need to do all the steps he did and it took me a little over 2 hours from start to finish. Hell, I even wore a white shirt and hardly got it dirty! It's easy.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM

After replacing numerous starters in my 88, I put a bypass line from ignition to starter....the wire from ignition goes bad on these. Now, turn key, push button, starts everytime....easy fix. Lot cheaper than starters.