Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issues

So I just finished putting an 88 body on my 85 chassis and drivetrain. Everything works great EXCEPT: When I try to start it up cold, the engine turns over slowly. After a little while, it finally catches and fires up. Once I drive it around (5 min or 30 min, it doesn't matter) and then shut it off, it can't seem to find the power to fire up. It can barely turn over. Once it sits for a while (15-30 minutes), it will start up as described above. Now, before the body swap, it fired up great. I just put a brand new Optima battery in it. The battery always shows 12+ volts. The alternator is pumping a strong 14 volts when the engine is running. Battery connectors are good. A direct run from the battery to the starter produces the same results. Anybody have any suggestions???
Old 01-15-2005, 10:05 PM

Have you checked all your fuses? To make sure you havent gotten any blown ones. I think there is a 7.5 amp Ignition fuse in the interior driverside fusebox.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 PM

Fuses are all fine. I forgot to say that even though I cant start it warm with the key, it fires right up with a push start.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the easy stuff first, like make sure your battery cables are on tight and the posts are clean.

If it's not that, then you need to replace the starter contacts...pretty common problem on older starters. You can pick up the parts at the dealer or www.4crawler.com. Try searching here and at 4x4wire for writeups on how to remove the starter and replace the contacts...it's pretty easy.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:33 AM

Now that seems to make sense. I've got my project for the day. Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
With the body swap, you also had to remove and reinstall the ground straps from the batter to the fender and the fender to the frame and engine as well as the other ground straps between the engine and body (fender, firewall). Maybe some of those connections are loose or dirty. You could check the battery-starter voltages while it is cranking slow vs. when it cranks fine. Chech both the battery+ to starter power connection and the starter base to battery- connections, if you see anything over a few tenths of a volt drop, your problem lies in that circuit. Info on the starter contacts below:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Old 01-21-2005, 05:24 AM

Unhappy

Question to the guys that have done the contact-only replacement on their starters:

How long does that fix last for? If I replace just the contacts, do I still have to worry about replacing the starter in another 40K miles or so? The reason I ask is because I've got the TRD headers which basically trap the starter in. Since I have to take the passenger-side header off just to get to the starter, I was wondering if it would be better to just replace the entire starter (if that would keep me from having to do it again any time soon). Here's the kicker: my Tacoma only has 65K miles on it. Doesn't that seem a little pre-mature for the starter contacts to be going out already? Since I'm the second owner I can't really say how the first guy handled it.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The contact replacement should last long time. I did mine about 6 years ago and they still look new. Whatever you do, DO NOT replace the starter motor with some no-name rebuilt unit. Sure they may come with a lifetime warrantee, but that only says you'll be spending the rest of your lifetime replacing it every year or so.

You may not even have a contact issue, do the troubleshooting steps I list on my page and find out what the source of the problem is and fix it. It could be wiring problems, dirty connections, a bad relay, or even the heat of your headers (a thermal wrap would help that area):

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#Introduction