Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stalker finally joined!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalker finally joined!

I have been reading posts here for months, but just finally joined. Great info here! Question one. I have been following all the RB body lift posts, and done plenty of searches. I would like to gather in one thread if possible how many people have gone with the 2" on an automatic 3rd Gen, and who had to extend anything other than steering? And, has anyone had problems with tightness in the steering system post install. Thanks all
Aaron
2001 SR5 4X4
Old 09-20-2003, 12:11 AM

It would be easier to install a coilover kit rather than the body lift. You would also have better overall control as your not lifting the body off the frame causing a top heavy vehicle. M.O.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:38 AM

That will be coming in about a year or so, but I am going slow as money allows, and the body lift is the right price to start. I am only running 31x10.5's on 15x8 AME 201's right now, and am already rubbing. I can fix that with a little trimming, but figure I will eventually need the body lift anyways. Might as well start there. Thank you for the reply.
Aaron
Old 09-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

It would be easier to install a coilover kit rather than the body lift. You would also have better overall control as your not lifting the body off the frame causing a top heavy vehicle. M.O.
Body lift only slightly raise your center of gravity. A suspension lifts the whole truck (engine and all of course) causing them to be more tippy. With a BL, you have most of the truck's weight still in stock location making it much less likely to tip.

Easier to install a coilover kit? Body lift = couple of sockets, 2x4 and a jack. Doesnt get much easier...

I would like to gather in one thread if possible how many people have gone with the 2" on an automatic 3rd Gen, and who had to extend anything other than steering? And, has anyone had problems with tightness in the steering system post install.
Assuiming you have the stock front bumper, you are going to need the front bumper brackets to raise it up. Other than that, the steering and trans linkage are the only things you have to mess with. You can drop the radiator 2 inches if you want. Their are holes already drilled for it. My steering was a little tight after the install, but its easily adjusted...
Old 09-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Stalker finally joined!

Originally posted by AFRunner
I have been reading posts here for months, but just finally joined. Great info here! Question one. I have been following all the RB body lift posts, and done plenty of searches. I would like to gather in one thread if possible how many people have gone with the 2" on an automatic 3rd Gen, and who had to extend anything other than steering? And, has anyone had problems with tightness in the steering system post install. Thanks all
Aaron
2001 SR5 4X4
Check out my write-up of my 2" Roger Brown body lift. A body lift actually has a lower center of gravity than a suspension lift because the bulk of the weight on a body lift is still in the frame/engine and a suspension lift moves all that up. THUS, a suspension lift raises the CG higher NOT a body lift.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...y+lift+install

PM me if you have any specific questions!

Brian
Old 09-21-2003, 07:04 PM

Thank you wabbit. I have read your writeup, and that is what got me started thinking on the 2" over 1". But it seams every Runner has had to do different amounts of modding for the same lifts. So far you are one of the few 3rd gens I have seen with the 2". If I knew it was going to be as "hassle free" as your install I would go with it. I was just wandering if anyone else had any stories, good or bad. Thanks again
Aaron
Old 09-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Who are you finding that had a problem with a 2incher? There are about 20 of us or so...no one has had a problem from what I have heard.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:25 AM
Banned

Before

Thank you wabbit. I have read your writeup, and that is what got me started thinking on the 2" over 1". But it seams every Runner has had to do different amounts of modding for the same lifts. So far you are one of the few 3rd gens I have seen with the 2". If I knew it was going to be as "hassle free" as your install I would go with it. I was just wandering if anyone else had any stories, good or bad. Thanks again
Aaron
Before I did my install, I checked, searched, nagged and pleaded for information and everything I found had nothing negative to say about a 2" Roger Brown body lift. However, if you read on Roger's site, that is as high a body lift as he really suggests you do. Anything else and you do have to do some other modifications. PM me if you have any questions.

Brian
Old 09-22-2003, 11:25 AM

I was more worried about having to extend the AT and transfer case levers, not knowing how much of a pain it would be. But, since no one seems to have anything negative to say, I guess I can take that factor out of my decision. Thanks all
Old 09-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

... If I knew it was going to be as "hassle free" as your install I would go with it. I was just wandering if anyone else had any stories, good or bad. Aaron
I had concerns too. Seemed the more I searched, the more things I ran into as far as install snaffoos. Another YT member suggested talking to Roger about a 1½" lift, since the 1" seemed almost pointless and I was reluctant to go with a 2". The 1½" suggested seemed to be the best of both worlds for me. I ordered a 1½" kit late last week after tossing emails with Roger several times. I recieved the shipping info a day or two ago...

Not exactly sure when I'll be able to install it, but I'll be glad to let you know.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Please do. I am also considering a RB body lift, but I must say all this steering adjustment/bumper adjustment stuff has me worried.

Someone talk some sense into me!

I wonder how a BL would effect my slider positioning? Any thoughts? I would assume 1.5" wouldn't make much difference...
Old 09-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Ugg....a 2 inch BL is really no big deal. Roger includes EVERYTHING you need to do it. Takes around 3-4 hours depending upon your workforce (a spare set of hands helps out greatly). The only 2 things you need to really play with are the steering and the trans linkage...BOTH ARE EASY TASKS!

I would really like to know who had major problems installing this kit. It's really easy to do...plus the number of us with the kit is growing...we are here to help.

As far as impacting your slider positioning...yeah, it will be off. But the impact will depend how they were built. Are yours made to use the pinchweld as extra stability?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Banned

Body Lift

I was apprehensive too guys, at first. But I had NO PROBLEM doing the 2" RB body lift at all. His instructions are really good on his sight and with my write-up and several others, you should be able to do it in an afternoon EASY!!! IT IS NOT HARD, it just takes a while and some time to do. Another set of hands also helps!

Just PM me if you have any specifics and I'll put your mind at ease!

Brian
Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, well I am very mechanically inclined...so you guys have me convinced. As for the pinch weld on my sliders....hmmm. I dont know.

I dont think it really matters much, as I never plan on "using" my sliders. No one ever really plans on it, do they? Well, there are some crazy's on here that probably do!
Old 09-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Well for just bumping around some trees or sliding around some rocks...i highly doubt it will matter. But, if you use them to protect a rock from jumping up underneath you...it might be an issue. Basically, Im not sure weather doing poser shots with a highlift on your sliders is a good idea. But it all depends how they were built...
Old 09-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

You Can Do It!

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Ok, well I am very mechanically inclined...so you guys have me convinced. As for the pinch weld on my sliders....hmmm. I dont know.

I dont think it really matters much, as I never plan on "using" my sliders. No one ever really plans on it, do they? Well, there are some crazy's on here that probably do!
Christian,

You can do it. It just takes some time and patience. Having the right tools helps a bunch too. I had a guy helping me who had done many before and it took us less than 3 hours. I would think it should take someone no more than 6 unless they just didn't prepare ahead of time and didn't have any help.

I'll be glad to help in any way!!!

How's that for encouraging!!!

Brian
Old 09-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Re: You Can Do It!

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
How's that for encouraging!!!
That's better! Thanks Brian.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:33 PM