Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

springs versus top out spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
springs versus top out spacers

Greetings Trying to figure out the best way to lift the front of my truck. Yes yes use search. Been there and done that. Read me out, first before you give that answer. 67 trillion pages on 4 runners and minimal info on Tacomas. dont want 3 to 6 inches of lift.

I only want to lift the front 1 to 1.5 inches, MAX. Just enough to compensate for the super heavy skid plate I have. (off road solutions plate, way beefy)
The drivers side strut is leaking and I figured that while I fix that problem I could revive the front end a bit.

I have seen the spring/strut set up from Old Man Emu through Wheelers, but am not sure if new springs assemblys are the way to go. The other option is replace the leaking strut and use some form of top out spacer.

Are stock 2001 springs up to the task of being ?topped out? with spacers, or will this speed their demise? Or should I just get all new and be done with it?

thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalhed
Greetings Trying to figure out the best way to lift the front of my truck. Yes yes use search. Been there and done that. Read me out, first before you give that answer. 67 trillion pages on 4 runners and minimal info on Tacomas. dont want 3 to 6 inches of lift.

I only want to lift the front 1 to 1.5 inches, MAX. Just enough to compensate for the super heavy skid plate I have. (off road solutions plate, way beefy)
The drivers side strut is leaking and I figured that while I fix that problem I could revive the front end a bit.

I have seen the spring/strut set up from Old Man Emu through Wheelers, but am not sure if new springs assemblys are the way to go. The other option is replace the leaking strut and use some form of top out spacer.

Are stock 2001 springs up to the task of being ?topped out? with spacers, or will this speed their demise? Or should I just get all new and be done with it?

thanks
Coming from someone with topout spacers... If you have the money, go with new springs and struts. It's not that I hate my setup, but I went with it because of my budget. If you can swing for new springs and struts...do it. You'll be happier in the long run. I know that as soon as I finally get a heavy duty bumper on the front of my rig, I'm gonna need to rethink my spacer lift. So in the wise words of weathered wheelers everywhere: "Do it right the first time."