Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Springs/shocks advice needed-- 96 base 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs/shocks advice needed-- 96 base 4wd

I know this is probably covered in the Suspension Round-up, but as I am totally new to coil springs and 4 runners, the Roundup is way over my head and I am hoping someone with experience might be able to just tell me what they think I need to do.

My truck:
Base model 1996 4wd w/ the 2.7 and 5 speed, bone stock, 104k miles.

Use/Purpose:
I am using it as the family truck: suburban drivng around (Atlanta), weekend trips to/from the plant nursery, camping, hunting and fishing and SOME trailer towing.

Present condition of suspension:

I tried towing my trailer last week and the truck did a lot better than I expected. However, I do have some rear sag (even w/o a trailer) and the ride is really harsh all the time- I figure I need new rear shocks at a minimum, and maybe rear springs as well. Remember, 104k miles.

What I would like to accomplish is the following:

Smoother ride over normal bumps and better handling on curves, eliminate rear sag, level towing when loaded with trailer. If I could get slightly bigger "AT" type tires someday ( maybe 32's max), that would be fine, but I don't think I need a "lift" per se. If I have to end up with some "rake" in order to run level with a trailer or loaded cargo area, that's fine as long as handling is not adversely affected.

Questions:

Can anyone just suggest what kind of set up would be ideal for my needs and what parts (and brands) I should get in order to accomplish what I need? Also any guesstimates on costs would be great as well.
Thanks,
Carl
Old 01-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Away

Here you go!

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 01-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

if you are looking for a smooth ride (and with no lift) then I would go with:
Bistein shocks
get the rear spring recall done
Old 01-07-2003, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info Dr. Z. I remember running across that thread, but frankly the scope of what you did yourself is WAY beyond my capabilities, so I didn't focus on it other than wonder what NWOR is and where ( I'm guessing "North West Off Road" in Oregon?).

Follow up questions:

1. Did you replace all 4 shocks as well ( are those Bilsteins?)?

2. Giving shipping costs and weight of springs, I wonder whether there is an East Coast/ Southeast distributor or shop that handles the NWOR springs, or what do you and the others with experience think of Downeys? I have seen a good bit about Old Man Emu here, but I had OME leaf springs on my old FJ60 land cruiser, and they always creaked so I am a little leery about giving them another big wad of my money ( this is a common problem on OME FJ60/62 springs but not on OME FJ40 springs-- I think it has to do with the extreme length on the fj6x springs).

3. Was that THE Jay, the master technician, helping you? I don't have one of those around here, LOL! Which brings me to my last question:

Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what I can expect to spend for labor alone, assuming I get the parts and have a shop do the install? ( or will they even let you do that?).

Remember, my truck is around 8 years old now and has 104k on it; I've got to get the most bang for buck!!

Thanks,
Carl
Old 01-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Away

Originally posted by Twice-Bought 96
Thanks for the info Dr. Z. I remember running across that thread, but frankly the scope of what you did yourself is WAY beyond my capabilities, so I didn't focus on it other than wonder what NWOR is and where ( I'm guessing "North West Off Road" in Oregon?).
NWOR = Northwest Offroad Specialties They are located in Bellevue, WA. NWOR's website.

Follow up questions:

1. Did you replace all 4 shocks as well ( are those Bilsteins?)?
Yes and Yes.

2. Giving shipping costs and weight of springs, I wonder whether there is an East Coast/ Southeast distributor or shop that handles the NWOR springs, or what do you and the others with experience think of Downeys?
NWOR are the only ones who carry their stuff. They make their own springs. I hear only good things about Downey, but I can't speak from personal experience.

3. Was that THE Jay, the master technician, helping you? I don't have one of those around here, LOL!
Yes, but he ain't all that. J/K LOL
Which brings me to my last question:

Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what I can expect to spend for labor alone, assuming I get the parts and have a shop do the install? ( or will they even let you do that?).
No and probably not. Most shops won't install parts you did not buy from them and they certainly won't let you use their tools and facilities for insurance reasons. It was nice to have some help on my truck. I am going to be assisting my brother-in-law when he installs an entirely new performance suspension on his Maxima. He'll be going "Down" instead of "Up".

Remember, my truck is around 8 years old now and has 104k on it; I've got to get the most bang for buck!!

Thanks,
Carl
OME is certainly a good setup for our rigs. The Downey/Bilstein Rear and the SAW Coilovers for the Front would be another good setup as well. I think I might install some SAW's on the front of my truck at some point, but for now I am extremely happy with my supsension.

Hope this helps and you're welcome for my previous post.
Dr. Z
Old 01-07-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
NWOR = Northwest Offroad Specialties They are located in Bellevue, WA. NWOR's website.
Actually, they're in another WA state "B" - Bellingham, about 90 miles north.

I wish they were in Bellevue, I could pop over at lunch!

Last edited by midiwall; 01-07-2003 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Away

Originally posted by mpulver
Actually, they're in another WA state "B" - Bellingham, about 90 miles north.

I wish they were in Bellevue, I could pop over at lunch!
Oops. I meant to say Bellingham, but Bellevue came out. :pat:

Thanks Dude!
Dr. Z