Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spring compressor??? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring compressor??? What to do?

Ok I expect to get my ome coils and shocks in in about 2 weeks. My problem is, I don't know how to use a spring compressor, I know it's dangerous as hell so I really don't want to attempt this myself. I was told that I could take the springs and shocks into Sears and they would do it for me, so I called in today and asked if they would do it, and they said NO. Because I'm not buying the parts from them so they won't do it.

So.....now what do I do?? Here are my options I think:

1) Try to call more places to see if they'll just put it together for me (but who would I call? Tire shops? autozone?? Wal-mart?)

2) Go to autozone and rent a spring compressor, and hope that I don't get chopped in half.

3) Go to a mechanic and pay 280 bucks to get it installed professionally without any worries in less than 3 hours. I might be able to talk him down but it'll still be high.

Please help me. Gracias.

edit: Rob(WATRD) I was told you could help me with this subject....

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 09-27-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:59 PM

Rob, When I said it was dangerous to do without proper knowledge I meant because of a story my shop instructor told the class about. Im not sure if he was just trying to scare us or what but he told us about this guy that had a car on a lift and was going to remove the coils. He took the lower or upper A arm off to do this and the coil bounced up and down and out the hood/fender area nearly killing the guy. I have never messed with coils to date but would be willing to try. I am guessing you just jack the rig up, block your tires, pull the wheel for more room to work and install your compressor. make sure its attached good and start tightening it up. This is only my ASSUMPTION as to how to do this. Do not do it until you get guarenteed info from a pro that has tackled this job. I could be right on the money or way off in left field. I told you Watrd might know because he's mechanically inclined and I think he's played with his coils before. There are many others out there that have done this job but who knows if they themselves did it or a shop. Good luck Ben
Old 09-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coils are not scary at all if you use the proper precautions.
Be sure to use the correct spring compressor for your application.
Then us a crapload of mechanics wire to secure the coil in addition to the compressor.
When you get em out you can cut the wire and slowly back off the compressor.
Do the same thing on the install and cut the wire when the coils are finally in place.
It is really not that bad but the wire will certainly prevent you from getting hurt if things go wrong.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:38 PM

When I installed the Fabtech basic on my truck & my friend Dave's we used a spring compresser we bought from Harbour Freight for $9.79 & it worked perfect for us.(Of course Dave has impact tools which is a must for spring compressers)When installing the OME setup do you still use the stock top spring plate?If so,then that is about the same type of install as my Fabtech basic(very easy).My truck took about 5 hrs for the front only,just because we never did one b4.Dave's took the same amout of time but we added a AAL on the rear of his.I didn't find the compressers were dangerous at all.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member

Just offer pizza and drinks to your local YT guys!
I'm sure there's gotta be a few around you that can help you out

Just don't forget the pics!