Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spongy Brakes

Old 11-06-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spongy Brakes

I have a 96 4Runner and i love it except for one thing. The brakes are very spongy... My Tacoma with solid axle's brakes are better than this thing. my 89 Tercel with 200K had a firmer pedle.

So my question is how far does your pedle travel before you start to feel brake pressure? mine travels at least 1.5-2 inches before the brakes kick in. Now i don't know if this is the way it's supposed to be, because i have never had a vehicle with ABS before.

I have also considered swapping out the M/C for the non ABS version out of my Taco, but the only problem is the they changed the bolt pattern on me (from four to two.) but i am thinking about getting a booster from a taco to swap... That is unless you guys have any ideas on why the pedle is so spongy

I have also changed the front pads (brand new) and will possibly be getting new front rotors, I checked the back brakes, and they are good and tight.....

Any ideas???

Steve
Old 11-06-2003, 01:32 PM

There are lots of things that can contribute to spongy brakes. Im no expert by any means but Ill give you some ideas of mine. Id have to say that your composition or quality of pads can make a difference. soft pads compared to a metallica pad will give you a different pedal feel. if your looking for a good pad I would recommend a caramic pad. theyll last forever almost, stop great, and leave no dust. If someone opened up the brake system and didn't get them blead correctly youll have spongy brakes. I would blead each wheel again just to make sure. Condinsation in the lines would cause that condition too. water compresses alot better than brake fluid. You could bleed all the fluid out if you felt this might help. Stainless brake hose rather than rubber hoses is almost sure to firm up the peddle. Just my $.02 let us know what you find out ~Derek
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your rear drums are adjusted properly, then look for these too:

1) weak rubber lines
2) Air in the lines
3) master cylinder going bad

Other that that I have no idea.....I am sure it is one of those tho.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:31 PM

My friend just recently had the same problem with his Tahoe. It turned out to be a vacuum leak. He had to replace the power brake booster.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

you might check to see that the LSPV is functioning and the arm isn't bent or something. this could cause the fronts to be doing most the work. does the runner "nose down" when you hit the brakes or does it stay fairly level and nose down only a tad? if it noses down alot then the LSPV is more than likely out of adjustment.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try having the brakes power bled.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Adam F
Try having the brakes power bled.
I have a write up on how to power bleed them yourself If you decide that may be the problem and would like to do it yourself...
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/synthetic.html#brakes
Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
3) master cylinder going bad

I think that's what i am leaning twards... I have the motive products power bleeder, and have completely bled the entire system two times, so i know there isn't any air in the system.

Time to start hunting...
Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by keisur
you might check to see that the LSPV is functioning and the arm isn't bent or something. this could cause the fronts to be doing most the work. does the runner "nose down" when you hit the brakes or does it stay fairly level and nose down only a tad? if it noses down alot then the LSPV is more than likely out of adjustment.
I crawled under it and couldn't find the LSPV... I also only found one line running to the rear brakes (my taco with the LSPV has two lines going to the rear brakes) Is it in a seceret place???