Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

!!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody here have a hard time with the USB to serial adapter for connecting to the URD 7th injector ECU..I can not get mine to work..I have to use my work laptop that has a serial port on it..But my personal lap top has no serial port so I have been trying to get the USB adapter to work and I get nothing..

Brian ,Gadget and Nathan at URD have been very helpful to me in working on all of this..They sent me a custom map to eliminate my High gear low RPM ping..THe new map works great..The ping is gone..And the Truck just drives better over all..

Ill be installing the 2.2 pulley next week and am looking forward to seeing the difference..

Wish I could get my computer to work, I dont have access to my work computer all the time...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mokai
Anybody here have a hard time with the USB to serial adapter for connecting to the URD 7th injector ECU..I can not get mine to work..I have to use my work laptop that has a serial port on it..But my personal lap top has no serial port so I have been trying to get the USB adapter to work and I get nothing..

Brian ,Gadget and Nathan at URD have been very helpful to me in working on all of this..They sent me a custom map to eliminate my High gear low RPM ping..THe new map works great..The ping is gone..And the Truck just drives better over all..

Ill be installing the 2.2 pulley next week and am looking forward to seeing the difference..

Wish I could get my computer to work, I dont have access to my work computer all the time...
My USB to serial adapter worked fine. Just make sure you plug it in after the computer boots up. I was using Windows XP on mine.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 AM

So hows your rig runnin Speedy? havent heard from ya in a while.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo3
So hows your rig runnin Speedy? havent heard from ya in a while.
Swimmingly. I'm going to double check my map now that the temps are cooling down just to be sure it's still locked in. I tuned it in 100 degree weather and now it's in the mid 60s.

I'm planning a dyno session soon to see where I'm at as well and will post an update. I'm hoping for around 225 - 230 RWHP. It sure feels strong and not a lick of trouble.

I may also dyno the coolant bypass mod while I'm there depending on what the guy charges for dyno time.

I was considering DT headers, but heard a few issues and decided to hold off. It looks like too much of a PITA for me to do the install myself and the shop wants $600 for the install. I don't wanna get into a situation where I have to have them installed/removed/reinstalled as that'd get pricey QUICK. I gotta decide what to do on that front.

The truck is plenty fast at this point, so adding any add'l performance goodies isn't really necessary as I've exceeded my original goal, but we'll see.

I've got a $50 cert for Performance Products if anyone has suggestions on what to get with that. It expires soon so I need to use it. I'd like some kind of dry high flow air filter maybe, but have no idea what to get. Definitely not K&N though.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM

Here's a link to info on the valve body springs and what they control for those interested in the valve body spring modification with spacers.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/AT08.pdf

koda4
Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I was finally able to keep my foot out of it long enough to get a good determination of gas mileage after the Supercharger vs. stock.

Stock I got 21.05 MPG over a 4 tank average using 93 octane fuel.
Supercharged I got 19.34 MPG. That was only on one tank, but that's the best I can do as driving this thing is just too much fun.

When driving it in a "fun" way I'm getting 17-18 MPG consistently.

The truck is running better than ever, the AFR is right where I want it under WOT (11.5 - 11.8), and my fuel trims in closed loop are about zero for the most part. I don't think I could ask for more than that.

Last edited by Speedy; 02-19-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:59 PM

under-hood droning, supercharger?

Speedy, you seem to keep all us sc'd guys updated so here's a question:
Lately, I've noticed a LOUD droning coming from under the hood at certain RPMS, namely 1200 or so and a lil above 2K. Its much more noticeable when I first start her up, so basically a high idle when its cold out. I'm praying its not the SC but Im wondering if anyone else has heard this, its pretty loud and constant, but comes and off. The dealer said it could be the timing idler, but I thought I'd ask around before I got into that. I'll disconnect the belts and try to rule a few things out soon. Not that many miles on the SC so in my mind that rules out it needing a rebuild, but new oil maybe? However, I was under the impressoin you don't change the oil. Oh its the 2nd gen sc, black housing. Help me out guys.

-Pete
Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 PM

First of all I love the vb upgrade, I did 5/8 and it is not like a rod, and it shifts perfectly, not harsh but I'm running 35's. also as far as a noise, check to see if oil is leaking out of the seal on the S/C mine was and Toyota fixed it, and its doing it again. anyway I hope that helps.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by spaber05
Speedy, you seem to keep all us sc'd guys updated so here's a question:
Lately, I've noticed a LOUD droning coming from under the hood at certain RPMS, namely 1200 or so and a lil above 2K. Its much more noticeable when I first start her up, so basically a high idle when its cold out. I'm praying its not the SC but Im wondering if anyone else has heard this, its pretty loud and constant, but comes and off. The dealer said it could be the timing idler, but I thought I'd ask around before I got into that. I'll disconnect the belts and try to rule a few things out soon. Not that many miles on the SC so in my mind that rules out it needing a rebuild, but new oil maybe? However, I was under the impressoin you don't change the oil. Oh its the 2nd gen sc, black housing. Help me out guys.

-Pete
I recently saw a post on here somewhere with someone having a similar problem. It was just in the past few days. In his case it was the supercharger. Removing the SC belt to get it out of the equation will help you diagnose the issue.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Project SportRunner Dyno Results

!!CLICKY!! and scroll down just a bit

So, I finally had time for some dyno time with Project Sportrunner. I gotta say I'm thrilled with the results. I road tuned the truck and it drives great so I figured the HP would be pretty decent, but my estimate was 225 at the wheels. The dyno runs showed 240 HP and 259 TQ.

The runs were done in third gear with OD OFF and ECT ON. We had to play around with the runs to figure out what speed to go WOT to keep the truck from down shifting to 2nd. It seemed about 67 MPH was the magic number, so the runs were done in 3rd. On a couple it still down shifted, but it didn't affect much, it just makes the graph easier to look at if it's in a single gear.

The only issue was that I would hit the 108MPH speed limiter on the truck right about 5100 RPMs so the truck never got to redline. This makes me wonder if there might have been a few more ponies yet as I'm unsure where the peak HP is. Looking at the graph it appears that it might have continued to climb but that is only speculation.

Here are the vehicle specs for those unfamiliar:

2002 4Runner SR5 Automatic 4x4
TRD Supercharger
URD 2.2" Pulley
URD 7th injector
URD AIC-T with AFR Calibrator integrated
Road Tuned
STOCK FUEL PUMP

I did some logging with the LC-1 and found my road tune was pretty good, however it was going a tad lean about 4500 RPMs. I simply added some fuel in the 9 and 9.5 psi areas above 4500 RPMs to resolve the issue.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the data Speedy. What was your A/F ratio for the run? Sorry if I missed it.

BTW... URD sells a speed unlimiter gadget, sounds like you need one now.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Thanks for the data Speedy. What was your A/F ratio for the run? Sorry if I missed it.

BTW... URD sells a speed unlimiter gadget, sounds like you need one now.
I've got the LC-1 logs I'm gonna put up on my site as soon as I do some screen shots and formatting, but they were in the high 11.Xs right up until 4500 RPMs and I saw 13.4 on my first run. I added more fuel from 4500 RPM and 9 and 9.5 psi and got it down to 12.4-12.5 at just before the speed limiter (5000 RPM - 5100 RPM). I'm gonna log it again on the road and add a touch more fuel if needed to get it right at 12.0 at that RPM and PSI range. I'm guessing that under more load (wind resistance) the AFR will likely be right where I want it. The down side is to road test this I'll have to be doing 108 in this thing which is a little scary to me with it being so high in the air.

I know Gadget has a speed limiter un-limiter, but I don't need to go that fast in this thing
Old 03-09-2008, 04:03 PM

AFR Logging

Several folks have asked what my AFRs look like. I'm the analytical type so I logged all my dyno runs as well as some road tests using the LogWorks software and my LC-1. Below are screen shots of those logs graphically and analyzed and annotated showing AFR values at various points in the run.

The tweaks I made to my map on the dyno were too rich when road tested. My theory is that wind/road resistance is obviously heavier than when strapped to a dyno and the additional load on the motor either affects the timing, or the map, or both. Needless to say, the below shows it's VERY important to road tune the vehicle rather than dyno tune.

In my final tweak today, I leaned it up to where it never drops below 11. So my question is should I continue to try to get it to 11.8, or is it OK to be at 11 for a short period? Is it better to be a tad rich, or a tad lean? My gut tells me rich.

Note how it drops to 10.6 - 10.7 in some areas in the road test!!!

In my final tweak today, I leaned it up to where it never drops below 11. So my question is should I continue to try to get it to 11.8, or is it OK to be at 11 for a short period? Is it better to be a tad rich, or a tad lean? My gut tells me rich.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spaber05
Lately, I've noticed a LOUD droning coming from under the hood at certain RPMS, namely 1200 or so and a lil above 2K.
Have you changed the gear oil in the S/C? Its suppose to be done every 30k. The best way to get the oil is at your local GM dealership. Apparently the Pontiac GXP uses the same oil in its S/C. I'm heading down there tomorrow to change mine out. Our S/Cs take 5oz and the tubes come in 4oz containers but I have heard that if you are just changing it and not fully disassembling the s/c 4oz is enough. I'm probably going to get two bottles just incase but that is what I have heard (this is my first time doing the change).

Looking good Speedy!
I need to get my truck on a dyno BAD. Hopefully I will be able to do it by the end of next week depending on how long finals draw out. I know I won't be seeing AFRs nearly that smooth. I'm not sure how much help the headers will have but I will say that going from the stock exhaust to the Greddy was like night and day difference with the headers and hi-flow cats. Do you have a body lift? The installation of the headers is 100x easier with a 2" body lift.

Last edited by turboale; 03-09-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Toyota of dallas has the S.C. oil kit. I picked it up but I have not changed it yet.
I started to look at my A/f ratio tonight.... wot I was 9.3 in 4th a tad rich ...yea but the truck pulls nice too . I figured a way to watch the LM-1 the obd diag prog and the R4 software at the same time on the laptop since getting assistance in tuning is next to impossiable for me. I just need 1 more serial port and it should work.
I thought my mapps were conservitive looks like I will be taking more fuel out.
I am looking forward to getting my AFR better and maybe getting better then 16mpg.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by paxam
Toyota of dallas has the S.C. oil kit. I picked it up but I have not changed it yet.
I started to look at my A/f ratio tonight.... wot I was 9.3 in 4th a tad rich ...yea but the truck pulls nice too . I figured a way to watch the LM-1 the obd diag prog and the R4 software at the same time on the laptop since getting assistance in tuning is next to impossiable for me. I just need 1 more serial port and it should work.
I thought my mapps were conservitive looks like I will be taking more fuel out.
I am looking forward to getting my AFR better and maybe getting better then 16mpg.
A guy here turned me on to a program called "CamStudio". It works pretty good at recording what's on the computer screen so you can do a run, then review the CamStudio video file to know exactly what cells were in use during the run and the associated AFR. That should make tuning on your own a cinch. CamStudio is also free. Just Google it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM

I dialed in my tune as perfect as it gets on Tuesday night. I've put updated information on www.hooliganbiketech.net/sportrunner with a short video showing how the output from CamStudio works which makes road tuning VERY easy and precise. Enjoy!

Last edited by Speedy; 03-27-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work speedy! I assume that is all WOT, what about your tune for just normal driving, say rolling down the highway about 70-75mph with the cruise control on? Are you staying pegged on 14.7 or does it go richer for the early boost areas of the map?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Nice work speedy! I assume that is all WOT, what about your tune for just normal driving, say rolling down the highway about 70-75mph with the cruise control on? Are you staying pegged on 14.7 or does it go richer for the early boost areas of the map?
Yes, the above graph is at WOT.

My URD 7th injector controller (AIC-T) has the integrated AFR calibrator which adjusts my closed loop AFR as boost comes on. Starting at 1-2 psi it drops to 14 - 13.8, then from there drops down to 13.5 until open loop.

The best power was made right around 11.8 - 12.0 on the dyno. Once it got away from that it made as much as a 20HP difference in power.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy

My URD 7th injector controller (AIC-T) has the integrated AFR calibrator which adjusts my closed loop AFR as boost comes on. Starting at 1-2 psi it drops to 14 - 13.8, then from there drops down to 13.5 until open loop.
That's what my A/F ratio looks like too, but my scanner shows me to be in open loop in that 1-2 psi and 13.8 area. I drop into open loop in low boost for some reason.

Quick Reply: !!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!