Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Special tool for front diff?

Old 07-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Special tool for front diff?

I pulled my front diff to have the new gears installed, and I have a question:

When the gears are swapped, will the mechanic need to have the special star shaped socket to remove to side tubes from the front diff in order to install the new gears? If possible, I plan on buying one locally, and giving it to him with all the other parts.

Since it's a daily driver, I removed the front diff, CV shafts, and front driveshaft, so I can still drive it around while I'm waiting on the diff to be regeared. Really, only a couple days of driving, because I plan on dropping it off right before we go on vacation for a couple weeks, so it should be done when we get back. (I capped off where the CV went into the hub)

Man, what a PIA it was to get all of those bolts loose, glad I have a three foot pipe for those 19mm bolts that held the diff to the frame!! I also bent a cheap 14mm wrench getting the driveshaft bolts loose, then finally found my Craftsman, and finished with no more problems.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove an LSD carrier from a 2nd gen Supra (7.5") I bought for $25, and see if he can make that work with the new gears, then it'll have Toyota LSD all around. Not planning on rock climbing, so I think it'll do.

Also, does anyone know a link for the re-gearing of a Toyota IFS diff specifically, the mechanic mainly works domestic, so any help I can give him will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:16 PM

Your mechanic should have torx wrenches. GM's are full of those fasteners. Set up is pretty standard for the old style 7.5". It's like doing a toy 8" because of the access cover. Try these links. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/arb_locker/
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...ifs_airlocker/ (But this is the new style diff.)
Old 07-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, he is mainly a GM mechanic, so I won't sweat the tool, I don't think it'll even be necessary, I think the axle shafts just pull out with a little coaxing, and the rest will be normal.

I'll update the thread in a couple weeks, and let everyone know if the old Supra LSD worked or not. I'm also going to permenantly disable the ADD before I reinstall the diff.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 95_4X4Runner
I removed the front diff, CV shafts, and front driveshaft

The whole thing is off, he should be fine (think)
Old 08-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

I recently got back from vacation, and I reinstalled the front diff today. The mechanic was able to grind the axles a little and use the 2nd gen Supra LSD, so now I have LSD front and rear. I'm not able to test it today, because I had to take the ADD actuator off to lock it in engaged, and the RTV needs to cure before I fill it with lube.

But, of course I had a problem. It was a pain in the butt getting the CV's in and out, and I messed up the outer boot on the passenger side, so now it leaks from a little tear. So, one of these weekends, I'll tear it back down and fix it too. At least with the hubs unlocked, it won't be spinning around slinging grease.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Rob, what year Supra did you get the LSD out of? sounds like an inexpensive way to upgrade to LS. Thanks!
matt
Old 08-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But, of course I had a problem. It was a pain in the butt getting the CV's in and out, and I messed up the outer boot on the passenger side, so now it leaks from a little tear.
I did mine Saturday with DMG. You should have done the quick change CV mod (knock the studs out of the axleshaft, enlarge the holes, use the studs as bolts). Then you can yank the CV's without touching any of the stuff up front. Supposed to make trail swaps a breeze.

Here's a couple of pics... (sorry for the hijack)

Sure was easier to get them back in!!
Old 08-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Hey cebby, is there a detailed write-up on this. I'm about to take out my diffs to have them regeared and the rear locked so i might wanna go ahead and do this. Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

I wish I would have thought of it too (the stud mod), especially since the whole thing was sitting in the garage this morning, and I could have gotten to everything easily.

To install the CV, I unbolted the shock, swaybar, then turned the endlink up out of the way, and had the top balljoint loose, and the whole assy cranked out of the way. I also turned the front driveshaft back and forth to get things out of the way while sliding it in most of the way.

I also read during a recent search to undo the top bump stop, which gives even more clearance, guess I'll have to do the next time I tear it apart.

I already found a new boot kit on eBay for $14 shipped.
To answer the other question, I got the diff from an 83 Supra, and it had a "LSD" sticker on it. They should be easy to find in 82-85 Supras.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:29 PM

To install the CV, I unbolted the shock, swaybar, then turned the endlink up out of the way, and had the top balljoint loose, and the whole assy cranked out of the way. I also turned the front driveshaft back and forth to get things out of the way while sliding it in most of the way.
We removed and installed the CV's without taking anything else apart. Removing them was a little tough, but putting it back in was a dream with the studs out!!

There is a one paragraph writeup on off-road.com somewhere. I think the writeup says to drive the studs out and replace them with bolts. All we did was drive the studs out, take a die grinder to the holes to enlarge them enough to clear the spines on the studs (which have a bolt head on them by the way) and that's it.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

What size Die Grinder bit?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:28 AM

What size Die Grinder bit?
The one in DMG's tool box...

J/K - I 'm not sure. Maybe 3/8's? I'll find out and post up.