Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speaking of Stolen trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of Stolen trucks...

I posted about a month ago about my truck being stolen, on my birthday (april 24th).

About 2 1/2 weeks later I find out my truck was recovered in a town about 6 hours away a week earlier or so. And not only that, but they caught the bastard who stole (or sorry, he didn't technically steal it, he was in "possession, of stolen property" if you want to be technical) it! He had been driving it and using it to steal crap (well, at least I suspect he had been using it to steal crap judging by the fact he had a tow ball on it, as well lots of burned cd's, and all kinds of "tools" inside the cab). The canopy, bug deflector, yakima racks subs, amp, speakers, were all missing, as well as the chrome trim, the mudflaps, the spare tire/wheel, and the rims on the truck were painted black. Dash, ignition, and door locks wrecked obviously. Interestingly enough, no body damage except for some dents around the bumper on the truck (and my bumper was near new) as he had been using it to tow crap. Suffice to say it is all being repaired and/or replaced, which is good news. I found out recently, that the guy is still incarerated!!! So he's been in jail for at least 3 weeks. He supposedly tried to write the prosecutor for a plea bargain but they turned him down. They must have some pretty good ˟˟˟˟˟ on this guy. I'm gonna keep tabs on what happens! The Lesson I learned was clubs are damn near useless and I'll have an alarm and immobilizer installed shortly.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 05-28-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im glad to hear that the basterd is still in jail. also good to hear that you got your rig back. what town did you find you truck in?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 PM

The cops found my truck/caught the guy in Kelowna. I live in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver)
Old 05-29-2005, 01:24 AM

sorry to hear it was stolen, but glad you got it back!
you had a steering wheel club on your truck when it was stolen? did they cut the steering wheel to take it off?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

CoedNaked - Surrey is a hotbed for stealing trucks. I've heard that most passenger vehicles have immobilizers built into them, but not the trucks. Trucks are targets for thieves because they use them to haul away stuff and for ramming doors, walls etc.. I had an immobilizer installed in my 88 pickup about a month after I bought it this year and have peace of mind knowing that it would take a very talented thief to drive it away. Look on the ICBC website for more info about top rated immobilizers. They aren't created equal. I've got the mastergard 6000 immobilizer installed in my truck. Also, if you do decide to get an immobilizer, make sure your installer is certified.

Click here for product ratings on immobilizers for 2005:

http://www.icbc.com/Crime-Fraud/auto...se_electr.html

You'll also notice on the ICBC website that 86 - 89 Toyota 4Runners, are 20th on the list for the most stolen vehicles in BC.

Click here for the list of the top 25 most stolen vehicles in BC:

http://www.icbc.com/Crime-Fraud/autocr_antith.html

Glad to hear that you got your rig back.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 05-29-2005 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:50 AM

Glad you got your truck back, sucks all the stuff is missing. Hopefully this prick will spend the next several years of his life in prison.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:57 AM

The interesting thing about "the club" that I had on my truck was that they actually cut the club to defeat it (I thought they would have cut the steering wheel too!). The steering wheel was intact. However, as part of the repair they had to replace the steering wheel and the steerig wheel shaft (or whatever it's called) as it was bent upwards a bit (or so they told me). I don't know if that means anything?

Troy65 Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at the immobilizers! I live in Coquitlam technically, essentially in Poco though as I live right in the area. Late April just right around when I had my truck stolen there was an article in the local paper about a rash of vehicle thefts. It seems like the suburb I live in became the hotspot for a while. This guy at the gym had his truck stolen while he was working out with his gf. Another guy who comes to my gym who is a foster parent was at the gym with his foster kid who was at the pool. The foster kid changed to go hang out with a friend while the dad remained working out, so the locker in the changeroom was not locked for a bit until the foster dad finished his workout. He went to go change and his keys were missing. It was a keyless entry mini-van he owned. So whoever stole the keys went throughout the parking lot pressing the button until they figured out which vehicle it was. Supposedly it was recovered on Vancouver Island though.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

I swear, it's all the junkies hanging out in the ally's!
Old 05-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

hey coed!

glad to hear you got your rig back, sorry to hear it was relieved of the mods. maybe you can take the guy out wheelin in the mountains when he gets out?! take a drive up to see scofco, you guys can show him the bears!

lee