Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speaker and Sub questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker and Sub questions

I'm currently looking for a good amp,sub, and front speakers for 4runner. I was wondering what you all thought of this combo...
Alpine Headunit(7894 already have) Alpine v12 900 watt-max amp,a polk MM12 sealed subwoofer [http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32819[/URL]
also for those of you who have put in components. how hard are they to put in for a begginer and what tools or special quirks would I need to know/have. also if i wanted the grills on there would i have to cut the old plastic grill off the door panel?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1948274523&category=32 823

Last edited by SpecializedBrder; 01-17-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:41 PM

As for the grills I'm not sure. But an amp can screw some stuff up if you don't know what you're doing. Whatever you do, make sure you disconnect your battery first. Polk? eh. I personally would go with an Eclipse sub and an MTX or Pheonix Gold amp. But hey, whatever floats your boat!!

If you need anymore help feel free to IM me : XxMattxManxX

Good luck!!
Old 01-16-2003, 07:18 PM

Those polk/momo speakers and subs are top quality. Good choice on those as well as the alpine head unit and amp. Good luck and don't mess anything up. Hehe...jk
Old 01-16-2003, 08:19 PM

SpecializedBrder :

The Alpine 7894 is an awesome unit (but you knew that since you already have it ). Their amps are also good, but I would also recommend looking at Phoenix Gold, older PPI (Precision Power), or older model Xtants. All very good amps.

As for Polk, not a big fan. They are decent equipment, certainly better than stock, but overpriced in my opinion. For the price listed in those ebay auctions I would look at Focal Polyglass series of component speakers, Diamond Audio Motorsports, or Image Dynamics Chameleons. I have personally owned a set of both the ID Chameleons and the Diamond Audio Motorsports and they were amazing.

For subs you can't beat Image Dynamics IDQ for sound quality, SPL and price. Illusion Audio ND series are amazing but pricey. If price is an issue you could also get a set of Vifas.

And installing a set of components isn't any harder than regular speakers. You run the power from the amp to the crossover, then run wires from that to your mid and tweeters. Hardest part is finding a place to mount the crossover.

Good luck man and take some pictures of your setup!

Old 01-16-2003, 08:47 PM

lol ill try not to mess anything up
Trang that unit is def awesome.(the only problem is as soon as i bought it they came out with the newer 9813 but its not that much different so im not too concerned) anyway...I wanted the 7893 which was blue and i thought looked a littler cooler but It didnt have MP3 and it didnt have 4v speaker pre outs(had 2v) I was content with my stock speakers until i listened to some infinity components in circuit city so im glad i went with the 7894. im thinking of putting Alpine type R 5 1/4 speakers in the back. Ive narrowed the front components down to Rockford Fosgate Infinity and Polk...decisions decisions
Old 01-16-2003, 09:40 PM

JL Audio

I just installed a 7894...love it love it love it...did I mention I love it.

Fronts. I installed some JL XR650CS, I got these for 290 at www.onlinecarstereo.com These speakers are the ones to get. Nothing under 1300 can match them. They are by far the best bang for the buck in the audio world. One of the car instalation places in seattle (the do the $40,000+ stereos) has them in their product6 room, with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, hundred dollar 2-ways, and a couple in the 1,000 to 1,500 range. The JL sound better than all except the 1,500 dollar pair. Pretty good for a 290 speaker. The only draw back is they only take 70 watts cont. I think this is plenty. I have then running of my 7894 right now, did I mention I love that deck??, and they sound awesome...I am putting my amp (Kicker Impule 654) and a JL 10W3v2 in on saturday...and I think the JL are gonna sound even better.

If I were you I would look into the JL's...best speaker on the market for the price, and then some.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Where did you mount the crossover?

I just purchased the Infinity Kappa 60.5 and they seem like they're going to fit. I had to do a little cutting with the Rotozip. Is it better to mount them in the door or behind the dash?

I appreciate the help!

Morty
Old 01-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
4x4nala, would that be Cartoy's?
I always demo speakers when I am there getting something.
I have a Cartoy's not to far from me.

I have been thinking of pulling out my Infinity reference 6.5" separates sometime and upgrading.

I hear Focal's are very nice, and also Crystal.
But it's hard to find both brands at a store.
Most buy those by mail order.

I have not seen the JL's you mention, but they do make killer speakers.
My JL 15W6 is a kick in the pants sub, and sounds so clear for a 15" sub.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:46 PM

also if i wanted the grills on there would i have to cut the old plastic grill off the door panel
yup...at least on my 3rd gen, I know the plastic grille on the door panel is integrated with the rest of the panel (i.e., it's one piece) ....

I'd like to use the custom metal grille provided with my comps. one day ( I'd think they would sound better), but that would require Dremeling out the panel ( which is what I did to the sail panel grille in order to put the tweets in there, but it's a much smaller job....).

For subs you can't beat Image Dynamics IDQ for sound quality, SPL and price
I agree with that... nice 10" SQ sub.... I put mine in the Q-logic custom enclosure which saves your cargo space ( though I don't like the enclosure so much, it rattles and requires a lot of padding to deaden that....)

For components, yup the ID Chameleons are supposed to be good (and good price, too ~ $300), I was going to get those but they were on back order and I was waiting 3 months so I went with the CDT Eurosports ( and man, they are amazing....).

I found a PG Titanium amp on E-bay ( chose that 'cause it has a built-in temp. driven fan -- I put my amp under the driver's seat and was worried about circulation/cooling...).

But really, almost anything is going to sound better than stock for sure
Old 01-19-2003, 08:06 PM

Where did you mount the crossover?
I mounted my crossovers inside the kickpanels and then flush mounted my tweeters there also (see attached picture to see what I mean). I personally wouldn't mount my crossovers in the door cause of vibrations and moisture.

I hear Focal's are very nice, and also Crystal.
But it's hard to find both brands at a store.
Corey, the Focal Polykevlar's and Utopia series are fantastic and you're probably better off buying them from ebay or online somewhere because they are very expensive retail. I got lucky and got a set of Polykevlars for only $150 off ebay (they are ~$600 retail)

But really, almost anything is going to sound better than stock for sure
I second that
Attached Thumbnails Speaker and Sub questions-imag0056.jpg  
Old 01-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Ryd

Nice install on the tweets in the kick panels. Hopefully, I'll be able to use the factory position in the A-pillars.

Of all these $300 seperates, no one has mentioned Boston Acoustic, or standbys such as MB Quart. What's the story? I heard these BA seperates at Myer Emco that blew everything else away remotely close in price ($300 - $600).

I'd like to get more recommendations. I haven't heard the JLs yet...
Old 01-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I saw the JL's online at the above URL, but it's weird JL doesn't list any speakers other than subs on their site.

They do have some cool wallpaper at that site
Old 01-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Ryd

Click the "evolution" button.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ahhh, thank you much.
I don't know how I overlooked that the other day.

OK, I do know.
I'm gettin old
Old 01-22-2003, 10:26 PM

POLK SUCK!!! especially the polk momo, ur just paying for looks and a name. (momo). Like someone else said, eclipse are awesome, for front speakers, focals for components, or boston acoustics, but if i was going just regular 2 or 3 way speakers, id get infinity kappas. Theyre great. Also, for the sub, if you're going for great SQ and SPL, go with an Image Dynamics IDMAX 12. ( www.sounddomain.com ) <they have them , great subs.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:01 AM

i had my system recently put in last summer and it's made up of:

-head unit- alpine-7893( i should've went with the mp3 but i was to excited to finish my system quick)
- front component- rockford fosgate fnq 3414 (the mid is in the original spot and the tweet is mounted on the plastic by the side view)
-rear speakers - stock
-amp rokford fosgate 450s
-subwoofers- 3-10'rockford fosgate rfp3410 (yes that says 3 subs all wired to a little under 2ohms)

all i can say is not even at full crank i can be heard for 2 blocks away and clear sound too.

if people are wondering why rockfords, well i decided on rockfords cuz i wanted to be different from my friends(whom have all type r systems). also i really like the sound of them. plus i got a really good deal on the component, amp, sub and box package. i think i paid just a little over a 1K (canadian dollar) for all of it including bulk wiring and rcas, no install cost (i had help from a friend).
Old 01-23-2003, 07:15 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

I've never ran Polk products, but the discription sounds good, but I wouldn't be sold on discription alone. You have to buy what sounds good to you. When I was into car audio I went with Punch amps (just personal preference, and affordable) JL subs (pretty close to the best in my eyes, as far as enclosure space needed and such) Alpine head unit, just personal preference, I love eclispe head units too, Kenwood as well. I didn't like the fact that a speaker and amp maker jumped on the head unit band wagon cough cough rockford. But that's me. I love Boston Separates, I was sold on them a long time ago, and I haven't switched since. Others try but... Now I'd go with an Audio Control XQL or two EQT's. Absolutely awesome for tuning. Your pretty safe with several companies when it comes to electronic cross overs. I used an Accoustic. It did me right. You need several other MISC. things like wiring connectors, fuses, power supply caps if you running serious power...with one sub you don't need one. Power and Ground distribution blocks...Does it sound like it's adding up...It is...It a Freakin addiction that I had to break. You'll need alot of this just to make it sound good. If you run your speakers with out good cross over they will eventually sound like ass. I know the separates come with little cross overs, but I recommend an electronic cross over as well. I need to find some pictures of my old setup. It was cool. I won 5 first places trophies in my class. I also pushed 130 dbs with 60watts. Anyone can push that with a 500 watt amp, but lets see it with a 60watt amp. Man I'm getting the bug to start this crap back up.

Last edited by JSB; 01-23-2003 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:03 PM

Boston Acoustics makes the best speaker around if you ask me, but you have to get your hands on them. They're really hard to find and the only place online I've found them is every once in a while on eBay.

For the amp, I would seriously look into JBL amps. You can get some major power (like 1200W RMS @ 2 or 1 Ohm) for like $250 from www.ikesound.com. Or they have a 150, 300, or 600W amp that are priced around or lower than that. I run a 4 channel JBL amp for my components and wouldn't change for anything. Great bang for the buck.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:14 AM
DuB

Polk Momos are WAY overpriced and they only sound decent. I'd rather spend the money on some Focal Polykevlars

the IDMAXes are pretty impressive. About two weeks ago a friend and I built a box for two of them, and wired up two amps to power them (one to each). The amps were JBL1200.1, not what I would've used, but he got them for a good price. the box was 1.5 cu ft per sub w/o displacement so it was a bit on the small side for more of a sq orientation since he was going to be pushing 1200 watts to each anyway. Well, he could've used a subsonic filter and a bit more tuning, but the subs were incredible. One of the nicest sounding subs I've heard, PLUS when he turned it up... man, I couldn't even see straight and my ears felt like they were bleeding. It was absolutely ridiculous. Oh, it was in the back of a M-Class so that made it feel a little louder, too. Not my kinda setup though. I'll stick to my sq setups
Old 01-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Ryd

Onlinecarstereo has the JL XR650s on sale for $269, shipped! Should I find a place to audition these first?

Thanks to the Boston Acoustic fans for speaking up! I've heard these, and I like them a lot.

For someone who doesn't want to spend $$$ on subs, are Bazooka tubes or units like the Infinity Basslink a viable option? Basslink can be had for about $220 from eBay, or $239 from onlinecarstereo. Good bang for the buck, or just waste of a buck?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Speaker and Sub questions