Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

speaker & amp questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker & amp questions

ok I have a 600 watt amp powering 2 500 watt subs and I want to put a set of 110watt 6x9s in my runner as well, so here is my question can I just run my 2 6x9s to my 600 watt amp or should I use a old 200 watt amp I have to power the 6x9s ? If I just use my 600 watt amp to power both of them do I just connect the 2 (+) and the 2 (-) wires from each speaker togeter than run one (+) wire and 1 (-) wire to the amp ? How would I set every thing up If I used my other 200 watt amp to power the 6x9s ??
I thank any one and every one who answers or helps me out with this ! also if any one knows of any forums let might be more helpful to me please let me know . THANKS
Old 08-25-2003, 01:46 PM

I would like to help but I need you to tell us more about your setup.

1. What head unit are you using?
2. What kind of subs are they (brand and size)?
3. Are they DVC (Dual Voice Coil) subs?
4. What kind of amp is it (class a/b or d)?
5. Who makes the 6x9s?
6. Where are the 6x9s going to be installed (front/rear)?
7. Do you plan on adding anything else in the future?
8. What is your budget?

As a blind guess, I would say that the 6x9s are going in the rear somewhere in which case powering them off of the head unit will be fine, that is if your head unit has adequate power. As for the subs, I'm guessing the amp is a class ab two channel amp, and the subs are single voice coil at 4 ohms, which you would want to bridge (assuming the amp is stable at 2 ohms). But don't go by my assumptions just yet, try to answer the questions first to let us know what we are dealing with.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:59 PM

1 head is a alpine 45wattx4
2 subs sound storm 12s
3 ? dont know
4 dont know what class but its a 600watt 2 channel pyle
5 MA audio .... I think
6 in rear sides (its a 85 runner)
7 no
8 um not very big
thanx
Old 08-25-2003, 05:27 PM

I am an audio nut so yes run the 6x9s off the pyle amp, they don't put out anywhere near the power that they rate their amps at. I gonna go with a class d amp. MA audio makes decent speakers so they should do fine. Keep the gain down and matched to the front speakers. You are not going to be running the subs off the same amp as the subs are you.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:50 PM

Im running my subs off the pyle amp now, should I run the 6x9s off the same amp ?
Old 08-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

6x9 and subs

no don't runn them off the same amp unless it is a 4channel and you can run seporate frequencies to them. the sound would deminish greatly trying to run subs and 6x9's together.
David
Old 08-25-2003, 09:51 PM

ok , so Ill try and use my other 200 watt amp to power my 6x9s , but how do I set up 2 amps ? is there a way I can connect them togeter or do I have to run new wires from my head unit ? I have no idea how to do any of this kind of stuff.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dropcivic
I am an audio nut so yes run the 6x9s off the pyle amp, they don't put out anywhere near the power that they rate their amps at. I gonna go with a class d amp. MA audio makes decent speakers so they should do fine. Keep the gain down and matched to the front speakers. You are not going to be running the subs off the same amp as the subs are you.
ADAM!!!! WASSUP!!!!

You going to be at the next ProStyles show in september, and for that matter our (pure pressure audio) shows in Estes and some other wierd ass town close to there?

Steve
Old 08-26-2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by mtnkid85
Im running my subs off the pyle amp now, should I run the 6x9s off the same amp ?
NO
Old 08-26-2003, 06:06 AM

Re: speaker & amp questions

Originally posted by mtnkid85
ok I have a 600 watt amp powering 2 500 watt subs and I want to put a set of 110watt 6x9s in my runner as well, so here is my question can I just run my 2 6x9s to my 600 watt amp or should I use a old 200 watt amp I have to power the 6x9s ? If I just use my 600 watt amp to power both of them do I just connect the 2 (+) and the 2 (-) wires from each speaker togeter than run one (+) wire and 1 (-) wire to the amp ? How would I set every thing up If I used my other 200 watt amp to power the 6x9s ??
I thank any one and every one who answers or helps me out with this ! also if any one knows of any forums let might be more helpful to me please let me know . THANKS

Technically speaking you could wire it all up to one amp paralleled and not experience an impeandance shift as the subs and the 6x9s would be playing different frequencies. But doing this would require the use of passive crossovers, which isn't the best of ideas if you can avoid it. So no, do not do that.

As Adam said, just use the little 200 watt amp to push the rear 6x9s and use the 600 watt amp to push the subs.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:44 AM

cool thanx guys ,but now how do I hook the other amp up ? do I just connect it to my other amp some how ??? thanx
Old 08-26-2003, 10:05 AM

You're gonna have to get a distribution block that will allow you to split the main power cable into two leads. One lead to each amp. Get a 4 guage wire to go from your battery into this block and then 2 8 guage wires will then come out of the block and into your amps. You will also need to run a ground wire, a remote wire, and a pair of rca cables. An alternative would be to just run those 6x9s off of the head unit, the Alpine unit has adequate power to run those without problems. I would go with the latter, it's easier to do and your 6x9s will do fine with it plus you won't have to run all of those cables mentioned. Good luck with it.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:20 AM

hmm thank you very much that is what I need to know . so I just get that distribution block put that on the power cable that goes to my allready powered amp run a 8 gage wire to each of my amps then I put a ground wire on the new amp but then where do the remote wire and RCA wires go ? back to the head unit ? thanks once again and sorry I dont know crap about audio .
Old 08-26-2003, 11:52 AM

Yes you will have to run another pair of RCAs from the Head Unit. As for the remote wire, just run another remote wire from your existing amp to 'this' amp. I would ground the two amps at the same point, a 'clean' bolt on the chassis near the amps is a good choice. Stray away from the seatbelt bolts, it's tempting to use those but you can receive unwanted noise from doing so. What are you running your front speakers off of? Personally, I would use the 200 watt amp to run the front speakers and the head unit to run the rears. You want more sound up front, giving your rear speakers more power is good but not AS important as your front. Many people don't even feel the need to add any rear fill, they feel that a quality front stage is plenty.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:09 PM

im running my front speakers off my head unit . they are just the little dinky ones in the dash though . I was just looking for the easiest way to hook up my 6x9s. you also said I need to run the rca cables back to the head unit , so there should be holes allready in my head unit for those or do I need to buy a adapter of some sort ? once again thanx for the help guys !
Old 08-26-2003, 01:44 PM

The Alpine head unit should have the necessary "holes" (lol) for your RCAs. Usually there are three pairs, front output, rear output, and sub output... Use the one that says rear output. It seems to me that your goal is to improve the sound of your truck, simply adding rear 6x9s is not going to be much of an improvement. I would yank those crappy speakers in the dash and get a pair of decent seperates (CDTs on sale on the zeb.com for 149.99, great price for high end speakers), then I would use that 200 watt amp to power these seperates (seperate mid-woofer and tweeters) and run the 6x9s off of the head unit. Your sound will be SOOOOO much better.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:15 PM

Hey cool I guess that is what I will do then . Ill run the 6x9s to the head unit then save up to upgrade the front speakers. but for now can I just hook both the front and rear speakers to the head unit ? thank you much !
Old 08-26-2003, 02:43 PM

Steve wassup! How could you tell it was me?

Time for work on a new system for the 4runner. Got some questions though, how did you run your power wire and what is the resenot freq. of a 4runner? I just swapped boxes from the civic to the 4runner and am getting everything ready for FL state finals but no kickers or d2s.

And what is this i keep on hearing about Mr. Giggles.

Last edited by dropcivic; 08-26-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by dropcivic
Steve wassup! How could you tell it was me?

Time for work on a new system for the 4runner. Got some questions though, how did you run your power wire and what is the resenot freq. of a 4runner? I just swapped boxes from the civic to the 4runner and am getting everything ready for FL state finals but no kickers or d2s.

And what is this i keep on hearing about Mr. Giggles.
Sheepman!

OMFG.... I got smashed over at Krisa's place, and I discovered that when smashed, every damn thing going on was funny as crap to me. Tony's new knickname is Mr. Chuckles. BTW - dont ever pass out drunk when Jamie Floyd is around - you wake up with painted nails.

You got a 2nd gen too, or the 3rd or 4th? My 2nd gen liked 52hz the best with my 8s so I'm guessing that note. Right now I'm burping at 45hz, so Im going to reduce my box size down a bit to see what happens. Most all mid sized SUV's like the low 50s to high 40s.

BTW - I have 2 amps you can borrow for state finals if you need em. 81000d's I wont be there for that show. Just dont blow em up - they like 0.7dcr the best for burps.

Power wire was a biatch the first time. I ran my 1/0 through the passenger side of the engine bay underneath that right front fender, then from there I drilled a 1" hole out below the ECU underneath the passenger kickpanel. From there I just ran the 1/0 under the carpet to the rear amps and batts. I'm about to make another run of 1/0, and if plans work out another 2 runs of 1/0 after that and relocate my extra batt to the engine bay. (I sealed up that 1" hole with a washer and some silicon goop.)

The next runs of 1/0 I do, I'm just going to drop out of hte bottom of the engine bay, keeping them in loom, and run them on the top of the frame rails the drill some holes in the bed area and use some grommets to seal up the holes after the wire is run. Running wire like that is SOOOOOOO much easier.

I just went nuts today grounding out the front battery with 1/0. 1/0 goes from my (-) on the batt, to :

1. the engine bay wall
2. to the passenger side head
3. and to the aluminum intake plenum.

Then there is another piece of 1/0 connecting with the intake plenum to one of the braket bolts holding on that weird ass cylindrical thingy that I assume has something to do with the AC.

But if I can pull it off, I want to have 4 runs of 1/0 going to the back - one for each amp and both batts up front.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-26-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:46 PM

Yea, tony told me about your pedicure. Got a 93 4runner but it has some problems that i am working on. Right now, i planning on two shedders and two L7s but don't think they will be in by Fl State Finals. I was looking at running it under the truck and found a hole all the way in the back that i was just gonna drill out larger under the back trim over the carpet. Way are you not gonna be at finals?

And i knew that you would like the new name.