Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spare tire carrier 265 75R16

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare tire carrier 265 75R16

Is there anyway to rework my factory spare tire carrier thats under my truck so i can get my 265 75R16 to fit alittle better?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under a Taco?
You can always try airing it down (if you have a compressor to air it up later) and using a ratchet strap to suck it up tight.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Why carry it at all? It's extra weight, about 2% of total car weight, wastes gas. It made sense in 1940, but nowadays it's very difficult to get a flat for anyone, and when they do, they are not changing the tire themselves anyway. Roadside assistance all the way, to patch up, or tow, which is usually covered by insurance anyway.

Pretty much all cars should not have a spare. If on average a spare and jack is 50lb x 250,000,000 cars, that comes out to 12.5 BILLION pounds of unnecessary weight being hauled every day. In addition to the weight savings, imagine how many injuries and deaths would be avoided if amateurs didn't change their tires on the side of a highway.

Throw a spare in the back if you are going far away from civilization, or any other situation where it might become needed. Most of the time it's not.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DailyDrive
Why carry it at all? It's extra weight, about 2% of total car weight, wastes gas. It made sense in 1940, but nowadays it's very difficult to get a flat for anyone, and when they do, they are not changing the tire themselves anyway. Roadside assistance all the way, to patch up, or tow, which is usually covered by insurance anyway.

Pretty much all cars should not have a spare. If on average a spare and jack is 50lb x 250,000,000 cars, that comes out to 12.5 BILLION pounds of unnecessary weight being hauled every day. In addition to the weight savings, imagine how many injuries and deaths would be avoided if amateurs didn't change their tires on the side of a highway.

Throw a spare in the back if you are going far away from civilization, or any other situation where it might become needed. Most of the time it's not.
not sure if serious...
Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you pulling this guys leg? I usually care a plug kit and a compressor. X2 on the dangers of side of highway tire change. I'll ride the rim or pull way off the road. Tires are much cheaper than the injuries I've seen when things go wrong. Like the idea of a racket strap and airing the spare down might go back to carrying a spare might not.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cut the ends of the back two little curl downs
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 AM

Thats true...Ive got AAA roadside. Sometimes it takes forever for them to even show up. Faster for me to do it myself.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
cut the ends of the back two little curl downs
Good idea. I think i got it to work.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 AM

So waiting up to several hours for roadside assistance, then having them tow it to a shop while you ride with them, then having to come up with the $$ immediately for a new tire or repair, and then waiting for them to put the new tire on the rim and reinstall it is better than just carrying a spare and putting it on in 5 or 10 minutes? What if it's at night and the tire shop isn't open? The people who die while trying to change a tire while half in the road are a perfect example of Darwin's natural selection. Pull off where it's safe and carry a spare.