Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sorry Camry Snow Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Camry Snow Tire Question

Hey what do you guys think about Bridgstone Blizzaks compared to regular studded tires. I don't want the road noise of the studds but I've never ran either so just wanting some experienced oppinions. Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Like you said, studs are noisy and tear the road up. However, they are pretty good on packed snow and ok on ice. I have no experience with the Blizzaks, but I know they always seem to get great reviews. Personally, I would try out the Blizzaks if I lived where it could snow (on our Accord).
Old 11-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

I sold both Blizzaks and Wintermasters (studdable snow tire).

Nothing is going to beat a studded tire, but like it is stated the drawbacks are noise and a rough ride.

For most situations Blizzaks will be all you will need, unless you have very deep snow and ice.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:27 AM

Thansk for the advice. I'll be going to Denver in the middle of December do you still recomend the Blizzaks?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Duec66
Thansk for the advice. I'll be going to Denver in the middle of December do you still recomend the Blizzaks?
blizzaks are the way to go. i have the winter dualers on my '89 (truck version of the blizzak). from the reviews i read the blizzaks actually perform better than studs on ice and packed snow (what you'll see on the roads), don't know how they go in the deep snow, but you shouldn't be taking your camry there anyway . i've had to cross some scary mountain passes a little west of denver last winter and the truck did awesome. you won't be sorry with the blizzaks. only thing to worry about is that the rubber is so soft on the blizzaks that you have terrible braking and steering when it's above freezing out (or maybe i only notice that on the winter dualer because they're bigger than the blizzak).
Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 AM

Sweet man, I'll go with the Blizzaks.
Thanks Guys. Great Info as usual
Old 11-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mike_d
blizzaks are the way to go. i have the winter dualers on my '89 (truck version of the blizzak). from the reviews i read the blizzaks actually perform better than studs on ice and packed snow (what you'll see on the roads), don't know how they go in the deep snow, but you shouldn't be taking your camry there anyway .
I can see how they could possibly do better in ice since they have so many sipes, but I have a hard time thinking that they will do better in packed snow..
Old 11-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Playing devil's advocate here: Blizzak's are awesome in snow and ice... when new. Problem is, around here snow and ice are very short lived. A typical winter has only about 7-10 days where the roads are snow-packed and icy. The tread compound of Blizzaks is quite soft and tends to wear quickly around here when the roads are not covered with snow. After you wear through the softer compound you get a tire no better than any other. I've heard many people rave about them but then complain that they don't last and have to be replaced every couple years.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:52 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Well, yeah, you don't run them year round... Don't put them on till the cold sets in and take them off as soon as you aren't likely to need them.

We put winter tires on the cars, we've used Blizzaks, Hankooks (don't remember the model number) and currently are running Semperits. All were great, the difference over regular tires is actually not subtle. The Semperits are awesome so far - they're on a sporty car (size is 205/50R17) and could not be happier with them. We too only really have a dozen or so days of ice or snow each winter, although it's icy/frosty nearly every morning out in the coutry where we live. The GF drives 110 miles round trip each day to work and the Blizzaks lasted 4 winters (approx 30,000 miles) and the Semperits are going on this weekend for their 2nd winter. We mounted them on the stock wheels and bought some nice wheels for the summer tires.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

I have had blizzacks and nokian hakkapeliitta's both are great the ket is finding a tire that is indeed snow and ice rated.....believe it Ive seen people say they had a snow tires and it was only an aggresive all seasons

any shop with a good rep can help you get a true snow and Ice rated tire....also many states also have time lines in when you are allowed to put studded tires on and when to have them off your vehicle, real pain
Old 11-04-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by toy283
Playing devil's advocate here: Blizzak's are awesome in snow and ice... when new. Problem is, around here snow and ice are very short lived. A typical winter has only about 7-10 days where the roads are snow-packed and icy. The tread compound of Blizzaks is quite soft and tends to wear quickly around here when the roads are not covered with snow. After you wear through the softer compound you get a tire no better than any other. I've heard many people rave about them but then complain that they don't last and have to be replaced every couple years.
yup, i usually look at what the snow plan is for the next week and adjust the tires accordingly. it only takes 15-20 minutes sunday afternoon to switch out which tires i want on the truck.