Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sonoran system 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sonoran system 3.0

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a thumbs up for the Sonoran Steel 3.0 lift package. Spoke with the owner Steve a couple times with a bunch of emails. He answered all my questions and I felt comfortable going with his package for my 2000 4runner 2wd. I had read many posts about different lift combos including OME. His pricing was right in line with those and it looked like he took all the guesswork out of what might work or not.

Unfortunately due to my 24/7 tax season schedule I did not have the time to do the install myself and no way I was going to wait at least two more weeks to try this out. I was waiting for the past year+ until my shocks and tires were worn out and then I would replace shocks and tires all at the same time. Had a local mechanic do the installation of shocks/springs and tires last weekend (for anyone in SoCal area Mike's Alignment in N.Hollywood super nice guy, very reasonable prices and really knows his suspension stuff).

Bottom line is that this system really works well! The kit lifted front and rear by about 2.5 inches + another .5 inch from the larger 265/75R16 tires that were installed at the same time...so about 3 inches of lift in total. The ride is firm and controlled but definitely not harsh at all. I did the lift mainly to install larger tires, and the truck spends 90% of the time on L.A. roads anyways. There are other kits for primarily off road use too.

Anyways for anyone thinking about the system 3.0 for either 2wd or 4wd..it is not cheap...but it works right the first time.
Jon
Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Doesn't the System 3.0 give you '99 stock 1" look? Or do you mean for Your specific 4Runner, giving it 2.5" from how bad it was sagging before?

Edit: Realize the 3.0 gives 2001 2wd Runners a 2 5/8" lift it says. I'll be damned.

Well congratulations either way! Pictures?

Last edited by BulgersRunner; 03-31-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Will try to post some pictures soon. It doesn't look hugely different but I did notice it takes bit more effort to get in and out of the truck--stupid me almost stumbled getting out the first time!
Put Firestone Destination AT tires on and it looks pretty good and rides great. Looking now for either sliders or nerf bars so the little kid can get in easier.
Jon
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya I have dealt with Steve a few times, and he is always patient and very quick to respond to my (many) emails. I can't imagine how many emails and repetitive responses he must have to deal with on a daily basis!

He knows his stuff for sure. He is like the Godfather of 3rd gens
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM

pics or it didn't happen
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM

yea please get some pics up soon for sure...im going the same route in rear but instead im doing 1.5" top spacer daystar lift. should sit pretty level with 99 rear coils on my 97 2wd. i have running boards on and debating maybe do nerf bars since they look like they sit a bit higher which looks better. i also have 2 lil boys who need something to help them get in so gotta have something that bolts on. had a question for you jon??? on the ss website it mentioned a 2wd rear fix..i think you mentioned you had 2wd so what is this rear fix mentioned? steve mentioned it to me in a email but i have heard nothing about it anywhere. is it really necessary or will the rear springs just bolt on just fine. im wondering if its a marketing gimmick making you feel like you must buy his kit to use the coils. anyone chime in on it would be great. gluck
Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Will try to get some pictures up this weekend hopefully. Steve has a "rear fix" which are special spacers he includes to get your rear ride height correct. No not a marketing gimmick as some type of spacer would be required to raise the rear height.

Not necessary to purchase his kit and you can probably locate the parts maybe cheaper and put together something that will work. After checking out OME, etc. and a bunch of websites, I wanted a prepackaged kit where all the components work together. His prices were similar to the others, I read good reviews of his products, and felt comfortable after speaking with him that he'd be able to deal with any problems.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hdoggie24
yea please get some pics up soon for sure...im going the same route in rear but instead im doing 1.5" top spacer daystar lift. should sit pretty level with 99 rear coils on my 97 2wd. i have running boards on and debating maybe do nerf bars since they look like they sit a bit higher which looks better. i also have 2 lil boys who need something to help them get in so gotta have something that bolts on. had a question for you jon??? on the ss website it mentioned a 2wd rear fix..i think you mentioned you had 2wd so what is this rear fix mentioned? steve mentioned it to me in a email but i have heard nothing about it anywhere. is it really necessary or will the rear springs just bolt on just fine. im wondering if its a marketing gimmick making you feel like you must buy his kit to use the coils. anyone chime in on it would be great. gluck
I don't use marketing gimmicks. The 2WD truck is very different than a 4WD in weight distribution. So your lift results will be very different.

As Jon said, you can buy a solution from me and move on with your life or you can try to piece something together and maybe it will work and maybe it will not. Maybe years from now you will get it figured out while paying twice what you could have. Here is a hip tip for you, one of your assumptions above is incorrect.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM

im not trying to bash your kit or your site....i was just trying to get some info on your 2wd kit because i asked once in an email and couldn't get an answer on what it was for and why it was necessary. Its just i like to know everything before committing to something. I couldn't find what I was looking for so I ask around. No big deal with that. I actually love the kits your sell and wish i myself had a 4wd so i would go the more offroad route but since i don't this is what i must choose. also i don't even have a kit yet and seeing what i can afford and would work best for me

Last edited by hdoggie24; 04-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a TWO THUMBS UP FOR SS--bought his kit and it couldnt of been easier or "more better" to put on.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Sonoran Steel is okay. I've been thinking about buying some stuff from him.

Oh wait...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
Sonoran Steel is okay. I've been thinking about buying some stuff from him.

Oh wait...

What haven't you bought? Your truck is the "demo".
Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

C'mon Steve....I know you chuckled a bit.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about SS, and the customer care they provide. But sounds to Me that the customer support I'd be getting and curious about would be edgy and irrate. Doesn't look like I'll be going the SS route any longer. Might be careful where your heads at next time Steve.

Still wanna see pictures OP!

P.S. I chuckled.

Last edited by BulgersRunner; 04-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BulgersRunner
I've heard a lot of good things about SS, and the customer care they provide. But sounds to Me that the customer support I'd be getting and curious about would be edgy and irrate. Doesn't look like I'll be going the SS route any longer. Might be careful where your heads at next time Steve.

P.S. I chuckled.
I hope this is a joke. Steve knows his shtuff and provides top notch service / products. Cant knock the guy.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Why should Steve give tech advise to someone who is not going to use his kit?

P.S. I chuckled.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM

I would have to agree with that comment. Just guessing but I imagine Steven spent countless hours researching and trying different shock/spring combos to find the right balance for the specific application. Who paid for that time? That R&D time and cost needs to be made up somewhere along the way.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

P.S. I chuckled.
I have no idea what you are implying here? If you become my customer I will bend over backwards for you. You like everyone else will have no issues what so ever. But I do not provide Yotatech Tech support, for other companies products.

I really don't understand your post.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM

I've done a ton of research and I'll be purchasing and installing the SS 1.2 kit on my 2k 4runner as soon as I can.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just ordered the 1.2 kit, and Steve was very helpful. He made sure everything will work right with my setup before I ordered.

Quick Reply: Sonoran system 3.0